Stihl 460 replacement...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BBush

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone knows when the Stihl 460 will be on the chopping block for replacement due to new 2010 EPA requirements. I assume that the 460 is no more compliant with regulations than the 440 was before it was replaced by the 441.

The word was that the biggest saws were going to be around for a while because they sell the fewest of them, and apparently stihl banked up tons of credits with all their 4-mix stuff, though apparently the credit system was going to go away sometime too?

It seems like the cutoff for all these saws is nowhere near as abrupt as everyone touted it to be in 2008 and 2009.

It's unclear to me if they will even replace the 460. I think people said it was going to happen though, and that it would probably be very similar to a 441. The strato version of a 660 sounds pretty sweet to me though!

I ran a 211 that I picked up for cheap on CL for a little while yesterday. That saw has some balls for a little saw. Cut through some 8" maple very well, pulled the chain strong. It's going to be an awesome little brush saw for stuff my fs 450 cannot get through with the scratcher tooth blade.

I could be wrong but the 460 doesn't run any cleaner than a 440. The 440 was killed due to the introduction of the 441 and hopes of the old 440 users accepting the 441 as a replacement. Stihl should have killed the 460 and let the 440 stay. Now we have the 441 and 460, very close in power and weight.:dizzy: It will just boil down to what the buyer wants, the old style 2 stroke or the new strato technology. Personally, I'll take a 044/440 over both but all 3 are some bad A saws.

Latest posts

Back