stihl 460 vs husky xp 385

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
radoutdoors

radoutdoors

ArboristSite Operative
I have a problem, i looked at two different saws today and am baffled as to which would be the best, I have a 260 and 440 stihl and am looking at a saw that could carry a larger bar like a 24-28''. My price is around 800 and the 460 and 385 are in the same range. each dealer says they are both great saws, not sure what to go with. Any advise

Thanks for the help

KindlingKing

KindlingKing

ArboristSite Operative
I think the 385 will pull harder with a longer bar.... Its a bigger displacement. Depends on what you need to cut. The 460 is much more nimble and versatile if you are working conifers 32" and under or hardwoods 28" and under. Either way, both saws will do you proud. You might look at the 390 if you are really leaning toward the Husky. It has some features (e.g., inboard clutch) that you might really like. Best of luck. I had a similar decision a while back and went with the MS660. I've never regretted it, especially when I have to tackle the occassional 5 to 6 footer.

2000ssm6

2000ssm6

Stihl User
The 460 is pretty close to your 440. I would be running the 24"-28" on the 440 myself with a DP cover. If you really want to blow through a 28" log, the 660 has you covered. You could also save about $500 and have the 440 ported.:D

Erick

Erick

Addicted to ArboristSite
Not enough distance between the 440 and 460 IMO......

For that money I'd be looking at an MS650 you can get one right now for about the same money as the MS460 and I think it's more of the jump your looking for. Note quite a 660 but more arse than either of your other two choices

and I agree with Kindlingking on getting the 390 over the 385.... if your gonna carry the weight of a 390 then you might as well carry the power to go with it.

If you must stick to your original two choices I say MS460. :cheers:

Jonny Quest
I have a problem, i looked at two different saws today and am baffled as to which would be the best, I have a 260 and 440 stihl and am looking at a saw that could carry a larger bar like a 24-28''. My price is around 800 and the 460 and 385 are in the same range. each dealer says they are both great saws, not sure what to go with. Any advise

Thanks for the help

I made the same decision several weeks ago. I went with the 385XP. So far, its been a great saw. I'd make the same decision again (but then I like Huskys).

JQ

peter399

peter399

ArboristSite Guru
The step from 70cc to 80cc is not huge so I wouldn't buy a new saw for it.
Check out the 390XP instead! It will chew up that wood in no time and is more versatile than a 660 or 395.

treeoperations

treeoperations

ArboristSite Operative
go with the 390, its damn near the same as 385 except more power, i have both and the 385 is now for the young fella he doesnt need the extra power.
my 385 with 24 inch bar kept up with mates 66 in pinus radiata and my new 390 leaves the 66 behind with any bar on.

as for the stihls, nice saws but heavy for the amount of power.

Mr. Obvious

Mr. Obvious

ArboristSite Operative
I have a 64cc Makita which seems to do fine with a 28" bar for just firewood cutting. I say just buy the 28" bar and chain, put it on your 440 and put the money you would have spent on a new saw under your mattress and wait for the worldwide depression to be over.

If you really wanted to buy something useful maybe think about a chain grinder if you don't have one. Sharp teeth can make up for a little less hp.

Tzed250

Tzed250

Addicted to ArboristSite
go with the 390, its damn near the same as 385 except more power, i have both and the 385 is now for the young fella he doesnt need the extra power.
my 385 with 24 inch bar kept up with mates 66 in pinus radiata and my new 390 leaves the 66 behind with any bar on.

Then something is wrong with the 66...

Slamm

Slamm

Addicted to ArboristSite
I'm not against the purchasing of additional saws for rational or irrational reasons, and I have only operated a 440 for a few hours, but I do have a 441 that I have run quite a bit and it pulls a 28" bar without a hitch. Considering the 28" is the biggest bar you have stated you want to run, I'm not sure that the 460 or 385 is a step worth taking.

I think, like a few others that maybe a used 660 or 395 would be a better choice and more of an actual step in power and capability.

My opinion, your money,

Sam

joatmon

joatmon

Addicted to ArboristSite
The step from 70cc to 80cc is not huge so I wouldn't buy a new saw for it.
Check out the 390XP instead! It will chew up that wood in no time and is more versatile than a 660 or 395.

Peter,

Have you owned and used both the 660 and 390? I have. The power to weight ratio is very similar, actually favoring the 660 by a bit. The fact that he owns a 440 makes me think the 660 is the ticket. Why? Both use same bars. Also consider that the 440 has 5.4 HP, the 390 has 6.5 HP and the 660 has 7 HP. The jump to the 660 is far more noticible. And, slap a dual port cover on that 660 and it's even more so.

There is a reason the 660 is a legend,

Joat

PS: Peter, you would become more "versatile" if you would run a few Stihls and report your findings objectively.

Last edited:
TexasTimbers

TexasTimbers

ArboristSite Operative
Central, North East Texas on the West side of it.
I can't comment on any of the big Stihls, but I love my 395XP. Especially after about 10 to 12 tanks it really opened up. I still haven't modded the muffler, but if it makes anywhere near the difference that it did on my 372Xp, I will kick myself for not doing it sooner.

Yes a 395 is well over 20 lbs with i big bar and wet, but when I need power to spare and the 372XP won't do it, I reach for the big one. I mill with a 50" bar with no problem, but it works it pretty hard when I hang the 72" bar on it. It still cuts through the big crotches I mill with it, but I need an 090 or equivalent for that.

Building a 4 cycle slabber is on the to-do list but havn't made it that far yet . . . .

Anyhow, if you are thinking about spending a little more money I can vouch for the 395XP. It has monster power.

rbtree

rbtree

Addicted to ArboristSite

Hmmmmm. I'm guessing you have a stock muffler on that 660....
which means it's gonna be underwhelming. Set it up the way the old 066's were, with an enlarged stock port and the dual port cover, retune, and it should be about the same as the old ones, which were rated 7.7 hp....

Tree Sling'r

Tree Sling'r

Addicted to ArboristSite
In stock form a 390 will not out perform a 066/660. Unless of course, the operator rides on the short bus, his chain is on backwards or on right, but the cutters look like an up side down spoon.
I will agree that the 390 is more versitle though.

Latest posts