Stihl and John Deere!!!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What has us worried, is we are smaller dealer and we sell Toro and Stihl recently more focused on Stihl. There are 3 JD dealers within 15 minutes drive, the closest is 5 miles away. Two of them sell Echo currently, and the closest one sells JD brand hand held products. The closest JD dealer has 5 locations and does easily 50+ million in sales, they are the biggest retailer of JD in the region. If they get Stihl it would put us out of business in a matter of months.

Zahm and Matson up your way?

Tommy, Tommy, Tommy;

If existing Stihl dealers have some say as to whether or not the local Deere dealer can have the line, then PERHAPS things haven't changed all that much. But I think you'll agree that Stihls' track record in this area isn't all that good. Didn't they already open up a guy 10 minutes from you in the last year or so? I'll bet that if any Deere guy wants it, he'll be able to get it. Stihl is notorious for splitting hairs with regard to coming up with any and every reason to set up more and more dealers. The rental store, the guy who sells to loggers, the guy who sells homeowners. Now, we can add the Deere dealer.

Example: There is a Stihl dealer 1/2 mile from me. If I tried to get the line, they would tell me no, and protect their dealer as well they should. But if I was a John Deere store instead of Cub Cadet, would I be more likely to get the line?

Yes, this will be good for Stihl, but not for many of their loyal, (where have we heard that word before?) dealers.

Your correct about them allowing another dealer up the road from us. He was about 6 miles away, take note was. My boss raised t-total hell about that deal and I told him not to worry about it, that the guy would help our business. He did. In game mode and lets get it on mode it took me less than 2years to put that guy out of business. He shut his doors three weeks ago and is history. I love competition.

We have a big JD dealer about 11 miles away from us. I hope they pack that place full of Stihl. Again it will be game mode and lets get it on,LOL

Your correct about them allowing another dealer up the road from us. He was about 6 miles away, take note was. My boss raised t-total hell about that deal and I told him not to worry about it, that the guy would help our business. He did. In game mode and lets get it on mode it took me less than 2years to put that guy out of business. He shut his doors three weeks ago and is history. I love competition.

We have a big JD dealer about 11 miles away from us. I hope they pack that place full of Stihl. Again it will be game mode and lets get it on,LOL

They don't call you the champ for nothin! :clap:

Personally, I hope they pack that place full of Stihl too! That way, you won't be so tied-up in sales work that you can't come on here and shoot the **** with us!! :D

Now if only Stihl dealers could sell the John Deere line. Hey, a JD skidder next to the saw display would be pretty cool. Might have to modify the front door a bit.;)

'Course, most of the Steal dealers around here would have to move out their Slurpee machines to make room...

Personally, I hope they pack that place full of Stihl too! That way, you won't be so tied-up in sales work that you can't come on here and shoot the **** with us!! :D

If they pack that JD dealer full of Stihl I will go into T C B mode Woodie, meaning Taking Care of Business baby. I've already bought more black shoe polish for ma doo, stocked up on 35 tubes of doo glue to slick back that new found shiny black hair. I also got 35 new jumpsuits being taylor made in advance. I'll be ready to rockem and sockem wearing my azz whopping blue swade shoes,hehehe

Come to think of it Woodie they better pack that dayumm JD dealer full of Stihl, if they don't what the hell am I gonna do with my new war chest items,:hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange:

well i sure hope you dont have too but. if you start TCB i just may have to ride up and buy a 660 from you.

i just gots to see them Blue Swades!

:clap:

Now if only Stihl dealers could sell the John Deere line. Hey, a JD skidder next to the saw display would be pretty cool. Might have to modify the front door a bit.;)

I had some pre interview testing at the john deere plant in dubuque Ia. As I was walking out they had a skidder in their lobby. The woman told me they only cost 500000. That was 2 years ago.

Stihl will be 'preferred supplier' for John Deere dealers
Posted to: Business Virginia Beach

By Philip Walzer
The Virginian-Pilot
© July 30, 2008
VIRGINIA BEACH

Stihl Inc.'s chain saws and weed whackers will be getting lots more exposure.

John Deere, the manufacturer of tractors and other agricultural equipment, announced Tuesday that Stihl will be the "preferred supplier" of hand-held power tools for Deere's dealers in the United States and Canada.

That gives the company's dealers the seal of approval to stock Stihl products instead of those from other manufacturers.

Stihl, a German power-tool manufacturer, has its U.S. headquarters in Virginia Beach, off Lynnhaven Parkway. It is the city's largest manufacturer. The agreement covers all of Stihl's products and takes effect immediately, said Stihl's president, Fred Whyte.

"From a prestige standpoint for us, I think it's really a marketing coup," he said. "It's an opportunity, quite obviously, to co-brand with one of the leading companies in the world, not only in outdoor power equipment, but also in construction and the agriculture business."

Stihl employs about 1,950 people in Virginia Beach. Whyte said the local production facility has already expanded shifts and will probably hire more people next year, though he said he did not know how many.

The agreement doesn't ensure that every John Deere dealer will carry Stihl products, said Bob Barbour, group director for marketing operations and customer support for John Deere in Cary, N.C.

"It's not a mandatory requirement," Barbour said. But he predicted that "this relationship will be highly supported by John Deere dealers."

John Deere's Web site lists more than a handful of local dealers, in cities including Chesapeake, Virginia Beach and Williamsburg.

At John Deere locations that carry them, they will be identified as Stihl products and will feature Stihl's trademark orange color, Whyte said.

The Stihl tools, Barbour said, will replace "John Deere-branded tools" made by other manufacturers.

"We're aligning ourselves with another leader in the outdoor power equipment industry," Barbour said. "This will allow us to take our resources to support other growth strategies."

Stihl products often cost more than those of its competitors. The company says consumers are paying for top-of-the-line quality and scrupulous service. Stihl products can be bought only at the company's 8,000 independent dealers nationwide. They are not available online or in big-box outlets.

The agreement with John Deere doesn't change that philosophy, Whyte said.

"Is this going to lead to big boxes? Absolutely not," he said. "The Deere dealers have to meet all of the same terms and conditions that we have in place for our current Stihl dealers. There were no special deals cut."

About 500 John Deere dealers already have been carrying Stihl tools, Whyte said. Barbour declined to identify the total number of John Deere dealers in North America.

Stihl, a privately held company, does not release sales totals, but officials have said sales have grown for at least the past 15 consecutive years.

"Business is very, very good," Whyte said Tuesday. "Despite the economic times that we're all reading about, this month will be the largest sales month in the history of the company."

Stihl was founded in 1926 in Germany. It launched its operation in Virginia Beach in 1974.

John Deere, founded in 1837 and based in Moline, Ill., sells agricultural, construction, forestry, golf and lawn equipment. In fiscal 2007, it reported net sales and revenues exceeding $22 billion.

Philip Walzer, (757) 222-3864, [email protected]

well i sure hope you dont have too but. if you start TCB i just may have to ride up and buy a 660 from you.

i just gots to see them Blue Swades!

:clap:

LOL, Wanab for you ole boy I'll bring that 660 right to NC for ya, hows that for top notch serivce?? Thankya, thankya very much. Where's my peanut butter and banana sandwhich, grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr,LOL

Stihl, a privately held company, does not release sales totals, but officials have said sales have grown for at least the past 15 consecutive years.

"Business is very, very good," Whyte said Tuesday. "Despite the economic times that we're all reading about, this month will be the largest sales month in the history of the company."

So that explains all the dayumm back orders I been dealing with this year, hot dayummm good for them,LOL

So that explains all the dayumm back orders I been dealing with this year, hot dayummm good for them,LOL

To sum that up, it's why Stihl is #1.:clap:

To sum that up, it's why Stihl is #1.:clap:

I'm not kidding 2000, I've dealt with more back orders this year than ever before. They need to pump up production down there, can't keep my people waiting, grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr. Last time I was there they were running full steam 24/7. Not good enuff for the King, they need to speed it up,LOL

fyi

..in case anyone is interested. I barely am....

A friend of mine happens to be the small engine tech at a JD dealer that has been also selling Stihl for several years. He is starting to favor the green ones because they are very good saws and are priced better. I take his word for it. Haven't checked it out myself.

LOL, Wanab for you ole boy I'll bring that 660 right to NC for ya, hows that for top notch serivce?? Thankya, thankya very much. Where's my peanut butter and banana sandwhich, grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr,LOL

LoL!

im stihl waiting for that Cadalic to show up but at 4 bucks a gallon and all them back orders. big cars and big saws, thats how we "Shake, Rattle and Roll", yes sir!

:cheers:

A friend of mine happens to be the small engine tech at a JD dealer that has been also selling Stihl for several years. He is starting to favor the green ones because they are very good saws and are priced better. I take his word for it. Haven't checked it out myself.

I'm not doubting they are good saws but what is the reasoning behind dropping that line?

I'm not kidding 2000, I've dealt with more back orders this year than ever before. They need to pump up production down there, can't keep my people waiting, grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr. Last time I was there they were running full steam 24/7. Not good enuff for the King, they need to speed it up,LOL

I hear ya! We have a guy from the shop up your way this week, do I need to send him by and "pick up" anything?:D

Well Flashy whatcha think of the little Homelite Ranger saws?

I'm not doubting they are good saws but what is the reasoning behind dropping that line?

because stihl sent JMowed over with a keg of vasoline, he came back with it empty and the deal signed.

:greenchainsaw:

Back