Stihl AV won't run

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GCC

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I am working on a Stihl 015AV electronic chainsaw that sat for many years before it came to me. I knew that the carb was probably in need of a rebuild so I tore it down and did a cleaning and rebuild including the nozzle check valve. It is a Walbro HDC-17A. I adjusted the metering lever to even with the top of the body. After I put it back together I checked for spark which I had and tried to start the saw. It would not start and I noticed fuel dripping out of the bore. I let the saw sit and the next day the fuel tank was drained. I pulled the carb off and tried to test it with a hose on the fuel inlet while the carb was in water. There were no bubbles on the pump side, but bubbles were coming out of the bore. I stretched the lever spring to get a tighter seal on the needle valve. This stopped the leak until I put the metering cover back on. Now it leaked when I blew into the hose on the fuel inlet. I adjusted the metering lever down until the leak stopped. When I put gas in the tank the saw started and there were no leaks. It ran good and idled for about a minute until I shut it off. The next morning it would not start and I could smell gas. I pulled the carb again and the metering chamber was full of gas. I drained it out and put it back on the saw and it started right up and ran and idled good. The next morning again no start. I repeated the procedure to drain the metering chamber and again it would run. Next morning the same no start. Any ideas on what could be causing this?

Your needle is not closing; without seeing it, I'd guess its worn or you have resin stopping it from seating.

Clean/replace it, or put your saw on its side.

Your metering lever is either still too high so that even at rest the diaphragm knob is pushing on the lever and lifting the inlet needle off the seat, or, the gasket between the carb body and diaphragm isn't where its supposed to be.

On the inside face of the diaphragm there is a knob taller than the plate around it. At rest, that knob should not touch the metering lever. I've found a safe starting point is to set the lever more or less flush with the face of the chamber.

I have the gasket against the body and the diaphragm on top of it with the metal plate down. Is that correct?

Latest posts

Back