Stihl Bar Question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rxpx40

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Noob here. Looking for facts, opinions are certainly welcome.
I have a Stihl 391 with a 20 inch bar. 3/8" pitch and .063 bar rail width. Looking to buy a new bar, and discovered the original part 3003 008 6121 is no longer available. The replacement 3003 000 5221 is a pricey bar.
I found a .050 width bar at half the price of the .063 bar. Naturally it will require the proper size chain, but I can buy a new Stihl .050 20 inch bar and chain for less than the .063 bar.
So, what I am looking for is - besides the obvious, what is the difference between the two width bars? What dictates which size bar/chain combo to run? and Why would someone be inclined to run a .063 bar/chain over the .050 combo and vice-versa?

Thanks in advance.
Chris

I suspect you could also find a brand x replacement bar in 0.063 gauge at similar cost to the half price of genuine Stihl. I was able to find a place overseas that has both those part numbers on their website and the price difference is not too great 35.64 vs 40.10 both prices in pounds inclusive of vat.
"Why would someone be inclined to run a .063 bar/chain over the .050 combo and vice-versa?"

The drive links should hold up a bit better being wider and fit the rim sprocket a bit better side to side.

Oiling most likely will be the most discussed answer but Stihl makes a couple of their skip chain in 0.050 only which to me seems to run counter to that line of thinking.

Generally the drive links are necked down for the bar slot so wear at the pivots does not need be considered.

A matter of what is either on hand or most likely to be found locally.

It seems to be regional. Midwest is mostly all .050. Canada and PNW more the .063. Many recommend .063 for longer bars 32 plus. The 3/8 .050 for Stihl is widely available. If you buy Stihl chain, it will be the 33 series ie 33 RS 72 the 20" 72 drive links, 24/25" will 84. The .050 is a narrower kerf so will cut faster chain speed. 063 will pull power down, especially in hardwood. As far as I know, new Stihls with 3/8 pitch come with 050

LoveStihlQuality

The .050 is a narrower kerf

LoveStihlQuality

Stihl chain uses the same pre set tie straps for 0.050, 0.058, and 0.063. The kerf will be the same just the part that fits into the slot of the bar being different. This thread is about 3/8 chain. Oregon uses the same preset tie strap for 0.050 and 0.058 so the kerf theoretically would be 0.005 inch wider in their 0.063 offering.

I would switch over the a 20" 3/8 .050 for that bar. I will also be honest and say get the green label bar and the yellow chain from Stihl. I think the quality is great and they seem to be cheaper the Oregon.

I have never seen that to be the case.
How much a DL are you paying for stihl chain?
I have found in the pro series bars the Oregon is more pricey then a Stihl green label which is a bar that I have had great success with.

Talking chain I can't remember what I paid for chain recently. But I feel Stihl makes the best chain out of everyone and I run it on all my saws no matter the manufacturer.

I have one 18" GB bar. I like it a lot. Think I payed $13 with $17 shipping....it was shipped from California. The Oregon pro lite was $56 I believe. I have had the pro lite for 3 years with zero trouble it's a great bar too. For the money though I think I will stick with GB from now on. 0209161459b.jpghere is a picture of it when it was new on my 350

Latest posts

Back