Stihl,.... Chainsaw Industry Leader?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GeorgeWLogger

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
As a company. Is Stihl a leader or have they become a follower? Technologies? Innovations? Operator comforts? I am not speaking about 20, 30, 40, or 50 years ago. I am speaking about today.

Is there anyway you members can share your thoughts?

There is no question about this, If you talk about numer of saws from one company.
Electrolux makes and sells most. They have different brands but same components.

My thoughts are that husky has met or overtaken stihl is many aspects. Huskies are definately smoother to run (yes, even in the cut) and much easier on the hands. Their air injection is awesome as far as keeping a clean filter. That being said, stihl is supposedly on the right track with the new 361 in both respects. Hopefully, that will carry over into their other new models. I think pro husky saws are just as or if not more popular now with professionals as stihls. As far as consumer saws, I have heard of a lot more problems with stihls than huskies. Many of stihls new "innovations" seem to be aimed at the consumer market. Things like the quick side tensioner, easy to start, and triple activated chain brakes may be attractive to the consumer, but arent really applicable to most pro saws. A lot of saw companies out there right now seem to have one or two models in their lineup that really shine, but seem to lack the dealer support and advertising power that it takes to really get competitive.

Stihl seems to be operating close to a "harvest" business model. Obviously I am not sitting in one of their boardrooms, but I think you could possibly argue that they view this market (saws, especially pro) as mature, and they presently have a big piece of it. Many of their customers will buy their products at premium price w/o even shopping the competion. Looks like they want to invest as little money as possible, leverage margins on fully ammoritized investments (tooling), and concentrate on the homeowner/landscaper markets. Probably not the "thoughts" you were after, but its what came to mind.

I think Stihl has reasons for their "HOMEOWNER INOVATIONS" if some one wants to buy a 4 mix quick cain tensioner or easy 2 start or a triple chain brake let them. We dont have to worry about that. Stihl will not homeowner grade our beloved pro models. And hopefully has some upgrades with the rumored new models. Almost all the competition is owned by E-lux anyway they just do the stupid innovations to there stupid poulans and you dont see that in the Husky line.

I don't know as far as a company and overall sale's is concerned..............but I think electrolux and stihl realy run neck an neck they each have good and bad saws..........I started out running stihls with my father when I was young then switched over to husky about ten years ago..........I have run some Jonsereds I have run just about every production saw made that was worth toting around in the woods and never had bad one in the bunch they all cut and cut well.................There is one in every bunch that stands out a little more then the others in its class...........I dont think stihl is the industry leader but I dont think they take second place either.............too many things to consider...............all the companies are top notch............so try them all........who's signature use to be "resident saw slut" I think it was mryb.....something like that.........thats what I try to be..........variety is the spice of life!..CB

one thing you have to think about now is with the new saws coming is how are they going to run cause it is a whole new ball game now , we know what husky is bringing to the table but not yet from stihl. if stihl stays with the same design as the 361 on there bigger models they will still fair well against the others , but who can someone say forsure until they see what is coming out. the 361 stock did nothing for me but just muffler mod it and it became ok , port it and it is pretty good.

The home / farm saw market is super competitive and is where most saw companies make their money the Pro market is great for prestige but doesn't give the same money returns that the consumer range does, so regardless of how big your ego is the pro market is small.
McCulloch went that route years ago and regardless of the arguements made heaps from the home/handyman/farm market and forgot about the Pro's.
What people see be used in the bush or forest swings the tide as far as the smaller saw market is concerned.
Out there in Australia Stihl was origionally imported by Herbet Osbourne and distributed by his dealers a company of really great effics in later years Stihl came direct and out went Herbet Osbourne leaving Herb without a brand to sell negotiations followed with Husqvarna and i believe thats what got Huskies started in Australia it was the good name of Herbet Osbourne and his magnificent backup of his product range that put Huskies where they are today.
Stihl and Husqvarner in my books are both great chainsaws i know i sold against them for many a year but loosing in the end thanks to McCulloch and their consumer range, where's McCulloch today right where they deserve to be, at the bottom of the ladder with the rest of the bunch scrapping for the scraps.
The Pro market is important for prestige but only makes up for a rather small section of worldwise sales but that market needs tough saws and thats where Stihl and Husqvarna win.

Bob Cornwell........Australia.

Back