Stihl guys, I need some help

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bmarleyzq8

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
So, I'm looking to purchase my first saw in the next month or so. I am pretty much dead set on a stihl mainly because I have a close dealer so parts shouldnt become an issue. Also thats all my family and friends use and to be honest, I dont want to hear any crap from them. I don't anticipate cutting very much wood but I'm affraid that once I make my purchase i will be cutting more than I originally thought. I will never need a BIG saw as I do have access to a few large ones if I ever needed one. My choices have been narrowed to 3 saws but I cant seem to weigh out the diffences among the 3. I'm considering a MS 211, MS 250, or MS 290. Initially I was thinking more along the lines of an ms 181 but have talked myself into going a bit larger. Can anyone point out some of the differences among the 3 besides the obvious stuuf thats on their website? Is the weight difference among the 3 really going to be that noticeable? Why is the ms 211 the same price as the ms 250 when the 250 has so much more power? Anyone used all 3 saws and if so what did or didnt you like about them? Any advice would be much appreciated.

Last edited:
So, I'm looking to purchase my first saw in the next month or so. I am pretty much dead set on a stihl mainly because I have a close dealer so parts shouldnt become an issue. Also thats all my family and friends use and to be honest, I dont want to hear any crap from them. I don't anticipate cutting very much wood but I'm affraid that once I make my purchase i will be cutting more than I originally thought. I will never need a BIG saw as I do have access to a few large ones if I ever needed one. My choices have been narrowed to 3 saws but I cant seem to weigh out the diffences among the 3. I'm considering a MS 211, MS 250, or MS 290. Initially I was thinking more along the lines of an ms 181 but have talked myself into going a bit larger. Can anyone point out some of the differences among the 3 besides the obvious stuuf thats on their website? Is the weight difference among the 3 really going to be that noticeable? Why is the ms 211 the same price as the ms 250 when the 250 has so much more power? Anyone used all 3 saws and if so what did or didnt you like about them? Any advice would be much appreciated.

B, first of all, welcome to AS! Great bunch of characters and aces here. Well, I'm a bit more of the former, rather than the latter.

My question is, is budget a big consideration? You've named three homeowner class Stihl saws. Now, absolutely do not get me wrong. Homeowner Stihls can give great service for many years when properly maintained. I cut 10 cords/year for several years with a great MS290, and it never missed a beat.

There are pro class Stihls out there used for less than what you'd pay for a new homeowner class saw. And the pro class saws are built stronger, and are, generally speaking, easier to service. For firewood service, look at a good used 026/260 or 036/360/361. Honestly, the 036/360/361 class (60cc) is the best all-around firewood saw, IMO.

Ya, a nice used pro model is not out of the question but I really dont want to spend much more than $350ish. I just want to look at all my options and try to figure out what to do if I do go new.

Ya, a nice used pro model is not out of the question but I really dont want to spend much more than $350ish. I just want to look at all my options and try to figure out what to do if I do go new.

You can easily find a great 60cc class Stihl saw on our own AS Trading Post for that price range, if you are patient and diligent. But it will be a used saw, and you may be more inclined toward a new saw with a warranty.

My 60cc Stihl 034Super came in well under your price range, and she likes to gobble wood! :D :D

But honesty is what keeps me sleeping at night. So you can pick up a new 290 for $350 all day, every day. That's a very nice firewood saw. :clap: :clap:

I cut firewood for 15 years with a well used Stihl 032 av 52cc saw, since i joined AS i have caught the chainsaw bug and recently purchased a used Stihl 066 magnum and a new ms441 magnum. The 066 is a big saw and not for the weak of heart or arm, the new 441 is a joy to use in the wood I can't believe i've wasted so much time cutting wood with a smaller saw. the point to my story is save up and buy the largest saw you feel comfortable using, my 441 with 20 in bar feels about the same as my 032 with 20 in bar in weight, but the power of the 441 is amazing you will cut your time in the wood in half or more. the price of a 441 used is still pretty high, but i dug around and picked up the 066 for $250 so keep your eyes open.

Find a local AS member, and go run all of those saws before you buy anything. I usually find guys on the "one saw plan" end up happiest with a 60cc machine. In Stihl that would be 034/034Super, 036/MS360, 029/039, MS-361, MS290/310/390. You should be able to find a decent 361 for your $350 if you are patient. The advantage to 60cc machines is that you can drag a 28" bar in a pinch if you must, and they are superb with a 20" or below.

Find a local AS member, and go run all of those saws before you buy anything. I usually find guys on the "one saw plan" end up happiest with a 60cc machine. In Stihl that would be 034/034Super, 036/MS360, 029/039, MS-361, MS290/310/390. You should be able to find a decent 361 for your $350 if you are patient. The advantage to 60cc machines is that you can drag a 28" bar in a pinch if you must, and they are superb with a 20" or below.

Good advice.
Not sure how local the OP is, but if he wants he can run a few of mine.
I should have 023, MS250, 026, MS361 and MS460 running.

some people say the line of saws (ms290/310/390) are worthless and only sell great due to clever marketing. Dont listen to them. I had a 310 (20" bar/full chisel), my father in law has a 310, and i know a dozen people with 290s. They are great saws for their intention. I beat the crap out of my 310 and it just laughed at me. I would not have any reservations about recommending a 290There might be a new version out (291?) but its the same idea. Good luck!

Used saws can be a good investment - but they are, in fact, used. i got my 051 and 041 both for $100 and they were both in running/good compression condition. You always take some chance with used stuff.

I know there is a clean 026 pro on the classifieds.
http://www.arboristsite.com/pp-classifieds/showproduct.php?product=5223&cat=6
I was gonna buy it but it ended up being outta my price range at the time :(

I would buy this 026 pro before I bought any of the saws you mention in your post. My 026 is a great little saw. I was at my local dealer the other day there wasn't a saw on the shelf that I had any interested in, cept the 460
But I am partial to saws that have a 0 upfront,026 044 066 ,real saws

BTW welcome to the forum

Last edited:
I had a 290 farm boss (I think) and cut a lot of wood with it. I sold it to my brother in law and he is still cutting wood with it. I then bought a 310 and cut tons more wood with it. (I still would be using it but I ran it over with a bull dozer) With a 20" bar it was a very good cutter.
I replaced it with a 362. Now, the 310 is no 362, but neither is the price tag.

What I am saying is i cut about 10 cords a year with the 310. Never an issue and it is a "home owner" saw. I never had anything but good results with a 290 and an 18" bar.

You can run the 290 all day. For me weight is only an issue when felling for some reason. (not lifting saw then)(beats me)The 310 was an all day saw. The 362 is an all day saw, the 050 I had (also ran over) is not an all day saw.

Look at your realistic useage. Used pro saws (especially if you get it from a member here so some credibility) is a good route. If you must have new...I'd say get the big homeowner piece. (for your budget)
Wags

I really can't answer your original question either because I only own the MS250 of three you're considering. I do however own a 361 and an 017 and have run the 029 Super (which is pretty much an 031/310) quite frequently. If you "don't anticipate cutting very much wood" I would never consider buying a new pro saw and wouldn't let anyone talk you into it. Don't get me wrong, the pro saws rip and had better for the price difference, but for an occasional user who is at all concerned about a budget, they're unneeded overkill.

I don't know what you consider "much wood" but unless your at least cutting for heat or planning to sell some firewood, I would stick with the 250. I've run my 250 side by side with dad's 029 Super and wasn't much impressed with the difference between the two, especially for the 3 extra pounds of weight difference. I'm thinking if you can borrow a bigger saw for the bigger jobs, then the 250 w/ 16" bar is a great occasional use saw. It was my first saw and I loved it's light weight and it's decent power.

Now if you are cutting for heat or selling some wood, then my choice would be the 036/360/361. The 361 is spectacular for speed and when your going to be cutting all day, the extra speed and lighter weight over the 290/311 are worth it to me. However, I can't imagine trying to limb too many trees with the 361 and a 20" bar and that's where my little $100 017 comes in. It's super light weight is well worth the small price for taking the limbs off. I've cut about 5 cords of wood this year now and will easily cut 5 more before it's done. Long term, I'll probably cut an average of 7 to 8 cord a year, not a lot by some standards but enough for me to justify the two saw plan.

As far as how much wood I plan on cutting, I plan to cut about 1-2 face cords a year for myself but my father in-law heats his home with wood so inorder to get my wood for free, I plan on helping him cut wood also. That is really the variable that I'm concerned with. I would like my own saw for doing my wood and incase I need one to help him also, but he has a about 5 big saws so I would probably use his if we were doing anything too heavy. One of my biggest questions is what is the difference between the MS 250 and MS 211? To me it appears the Ms 250 is a better saw but the price is the same?

Sounds like the h/o series will do you just fine. I've got a ms270c. I bought it @ 4 years ago. When I bought it, it was almost the same cost as a 290. Noticed recently that it's @ $60 more. Dealer said magnesium costs are to blame.

Have lots of friends with 290's. My 270 does everything they do but it's a little lighter. I cut @ 6-8 cords a year, and just can't justify the pro series saws (at least a new one).
Good luck.

As far as how much wood I plan on cutting, I plan to cut about 1-2 face cords a year for myself but my father in-law heats his home with wood so inorder to get my wood for free, I plan on helping him cut wood also. That is really the variable that I'm concerned with. I would like my own saw for doing my wood and incase I need one to help him also, but he has a about 5 big saws so I would probably use his if we were doing anything too heavy. One of my biggest questions is what is the difference between the MS 250 and MS 211? To me it appears the Ms 250 is a better saw but the price is the same?

211 is a newer design, and probably better. The specs don't tell the whole story. You need to run one and decide for yourself.

I might be wrong but I believe the 211 has the newer strato charged engine. You can do some research for yourself on that. I get the gist that the strato is more efficient, revs faster and has more power per cc, it naturally is gonna cost you more too. The older 210 had 2.0 vs the 211's 2.3. Still a far cry from the 250's 3.0 hp. I personally wouldn't think the strato could overcome a .7 hp hit and come out on top. Like the doc said, if you could try them out, that would be your best bet.

Well I read three parameters:
< $350
Stihl
a month or so.

I think if the OP can hold out until the bills for Christmas start coming due he should easily be able to get a good 036 or 360 (59CC) for $350. Right now on ebay the completed listings are in that price range, and prices will probably drop after Christmas. Ebay is not necessarily the place to buy, but the prices are a good barometer.

I've been following 660 prices, completed, on ebay for over a year. They are peaking right now. Last Nov they were around $600 plus, Jan-March they went down to < $500, now they are around $720 on average. CL prices tend to hover about the same.

I've had an 021 for about a decade or so, great saw, would not want to have to use it for other than occasional use.
I won the 62 CC JD in my sig over a year ago and I think for firewood a strong 50CC would be the minimum.

Back