Stihl is certainly proud of their chain

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I work for a german company producing high quality roller chains, and it's a constant battle to sell a better but obviously more expensive product against cheaper asian imports. The quality of a chain is related to the quality of the individual components (pins, side plates, teeth). I shall refrain from the different steps of the manufactering process, but the quality of steel chosen, the hardening process and especially the machining tolerances do determine the quality of your chain.

A chain that elongates quickly is often an indication of poor manufactering tolerances, and is causing excessive wear on the driving components, being in this case the sprocket and saw engine. I cannot comment really on the quality of the cutting teeth, but as many have already experienced, the Stihl chains have a better chrome layer and are simply staying sharper longer.

Although production is highly automated, the Stihl plant is located in Wil, Switzerland, a country with probably the highest labour rate in the world.

All this comes at a cost, and explains the higher price. It is up to the enduser to decide if he wants a quality tool or something cheaper thay may fit his bill also. You don't always have to buy the best there is, just buy what covers your need.

I like quality so I buy Stihl chain for my working saws,. But as Thall indicated, there's a comfortable margin on the gross prices of these chains, so you'll have to do some searching to find a good dealer, as in most cases.

The majority of bar/chain sold in the US comes out of the Va. Beach Plant.

This is a good summary of chain design, but it is only one side of the story. The chain has to be viewed as part of a system. This includes the all of the components that touch the chain. You could have the tightest manufacturing tolerances in world and put them on a bar that wears at higher rate. The effort would be wasted. I have very little problem with chain stretch once the initial run in is over.

ZG

I agree with the above. A good chain will be ruined quickly by a worn bar groove or a worn driving/bar sprocket. The most important factor however on chain wear and lifetime is adequate lubrication.

Roller chains are also prestretched after manufactering while putting them under load (approx 30% of its breaking load) , to minimalize chain stretch during use. I don't know if that's valid for chainsaw chains, but I am pretty convinced they are, at least the good brands.

But all the above has little influence on its cutting performance, which is the most important issue debated here. I wish Oregon Engineer would jump in on this topic, I really enjoyed his posts.

The majority of bar/chain sold in the US comes out of the Va. Beach Plant.

I can't vouch for the salary level in Va, but I know at least one Stihl dealer who is not cheap by all means...:hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange:.

I wish that orenry ole cuss would be a little bit more generous for overseas customers....LOLOL.

I can't vouch for the salary level in Va, but I know at least one Stihl dealer who is not cheap by all means...:hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange:.

I wish that orenry ole cuss would be a little bit more generous for overseas customers....LOLOL.

Wishes are like dreams, they seldom come true,:hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange:

Stihl makes their own bars and chain, the only saw brand that does this.

It's made by someone else, on the same line from the same material as a supposed lesser brand, marked up 400%, and sold on revolving credit to people who are impressed by brand names?

:poke:

Read it and weep...

Bronschhofen, October 30, 2008

STIHL inaugurates new saw chain production facility in Switzerland
The STIHL Group inaugurated its second saw chain plant in Bronschhofen, in the Swiss canton of Sankt Gallen, on October 30. The new multi-storey building, which covers an area of 6,200 square metres and has a production floor area of 22,400 square metres, is a modern industrial structure equipped with the very latest technology. The investment in the new plant amounts to SFR 160 million. Some 200 new jobs are to be created in Bronschhofen.

Prepared for future growth with new production capacities

The STIHL Group’s Swiss manufacturing subsidiary, STIHL & Co., already employs about 700 men and women at the existing chain plant in Wil. Sales of STIHL chains from this factory have grown steeply in recent years and this has necessitated the construction of a second production plant. “We are preparing ourselves for future growth by creating these new production capacities,” said General Partner and Chairman of the Advisory Board of STIHL Holding, Hans Peter Stihl, in his inaugural address.

“STIHL & Co. is a flagship of Swiss industry”

In his welcoming speech on behalf of the canton of St. Gallen, government representative Dr. Josef Keller called STIHL & Co. “a flagship of Swiss industry”. Referring to STIHL’s location policy, Dr. Keller said: “The continuous further development of the factories is proof of an exceptional entrepreneurial spirit and the long-term planning of the company.” Max Rohr, council chairman of Bronschhofen, sees the new production facility as “a bold, modern structure, which attracts attention by way of the excellent use of colours in its design”. He thanked STIHL for the “valuable and well supervised training places and jobs.” He added “STIHL and the saw chain plant 2 are a welcome addition to Bronschhofen’s industry.

attachment.php

I say all of that to say this. Stihl chain is the Snap-on of the chain world. It is the best at getting wood cut, period. You may not be in a situation where it makes economical sense to spend the money on it, and that is fine. Or you may simply lack the skill and experience to know there is much of a difference between chain qualities and therefore exclaim that whatever you own is the best (for you) therefore it must be the best for everyone (not true).

That is my opinion and experience on chain quality.

Sam

Well written Sam. However, I fell a lot of trees, deal with a number of firewood cutters (as do guys I know with similar, interstate businesses like mine) and although we generally like Stihl chain, in my opinion and others, it is no better than many other chains on the market. We have tried it to. Unfortunately for Stihl Australia with most dealers they are too expensive.

in Tulsa that same 20in stihl loop would be more like $28
really gives one motivation to roll your own.

switched to bulk chains going on 2 years ... everytime a deal pops up on a roll of chain... it's snatched up....several rolls squirreled away, including a few rolls of stihl chain.

Look around, I hear tell of some shops selling 20" yellow box stihl for $14.50...

There is a difference. While I like softer chain/round ground for dirty work (logs that have been skidded, stumping, etc) the harder Stihl chain will hold an edge longer in clean wood.

in Tulsa that same 20in stihl loop would be more like $28
really gives one motivation to roll your own.

switched to bulk chains going on 2 years ... everytime a deal pops up on a roll of chain... it's snatched up....several rolls squirreled away, including a few rolls of stihl chain.

UPS charges from Phily to OK for a 100 loops aint that bad :) I ship to several of the larger Tree Service's all up and down the East Coast. But fully understand what you mean, I get fan mail sent to NE Stihl by other dealers rather frequently because of my pricing on chain :cheers:

Back