Stihl Motomix smells disgusting

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RED-85-Z51

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Ive managed to avoid it but a customer dropped off some stuff and insisted 8 run his Motomix. Its nasty...stunk up the shop and me. Wonder whats in it that stinks so bad

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

Gotta be old gas smell, right?
It was a new can he opened there, but it smells like old stale gas. Whats odd is both his blower and trimmer started and ran but i had a tough time tuning them. The blower wanted to surge which is strange and the trimmer took an inordinate amount of time to hit full speed from cold.

I dumped both tanks out into a clean jug...put in my shop mix (70:1 opti2 with ethanol free 91) and both ran completely different. The trimmer hit full speed within a few seconds and the blower no longer surged and took normal adjustments.

Not sure what to tell the guy...they both run exceptionally well now.

Its almost an acetone kerosene gas mixture smell. My first reaction was...your gas is bad. He whipped out a fresh can..it also reeked.

I inherited a never-run MS170 and an unopened gallon of Motomix last year. The unadjustable-carb saw ran really rich on the Motomix, contrary to what I’ve read here about most of them running borderline too lean. It blubbered like a MX bike trying to race with the choke left on: pretty much unusable. But it didn’t smell bad; I thought it smelled kind of like race gas exhaust.

The saw ran, and continues to run, much better on my normal 32:1 premix I use in my other OPE.

My new Redmax strato trimmer loved the Motomix though, and also smelled like race gas exhaust and emitted no visible smoke. The trimmer also runs well on the 32:1, but smokes a little on cold startup.

Recently I tried Stihl HP Ultra at 32:1 and it doesn’t smell exactly like the Motomix did, but vaguely similar. I think the Motomix smell comes from a combination of the fuel and the oil in it.

EDIT: for some reason I got censored for trying to abbreviate Outdoor Power Equipment...?

I inherited a never-run MS170 and an unopened gallon of Motomix last year. The unadjustable-carb saw ran really rich on the Motomix, contrary to what I’ve read here about most of them running borderline too lean. It blubbered like a MX bike trying to race with the choke left on: pretty much unusable. But it didn’t smell bad; I thought it smelled kind of like race gas exhaust.

The saw ran, and continues to run, much better on my normal 32:1 premix I use in my other ***.

My new Redmax strato trimmer loved the Motomix though, and also smelled like race gas exhaust and emitted no visible smoke. The trimmer also runs well on the 32:1, but smokes a little on cold startup.

Recently I tried Stihl HP Ultra at 32:1 and it doesn’t smell exactly like the Motomix did, but vaguely similar. I think the Motomix smell comes from a combination of the fuel and the oil in it.

EDIT: for some reason I got censored for trying to abbreviate Outdoor Power Equipment...?
Yep, OPE is always censored out. Crazy ain't it.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

Might just be me, but if I had dropped a two stroke machine off to a "repair shop" and found out they had been running it on a fuel ratio out of spec with the original manufacturers recommendations for their own satisfaction- it would not only be the last time I set foot in said "shop", I would also make damn sure everybody knew they were doing so.

Might just be me, but if I had dropped a two stroke machine off to a "repair shop" and found out they had been running it on a fuel ratio out of spec with the original manufacturers recommendations for their own satisfaction- it would not only be the last time I set foot in said "shop", I would also make damn sure everybody knew they were doing so.
Probably shouldn't use me then my dude. Im selling the pre measured packets like crazy..people love it. Wish id used it years ago

Latest posts

Back