Stihl MS 241-CM versus an Echo CS-361P

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sid Post

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Stihl MS 241-CM; 42.6cc engine and 9.9lbs
Echo CS-361P 36.8cc engine and 8.3lbs

I am pretty convinced that the MS 241-CM is a great option for me but, I keep seeing these Echo CS-361P's which are lighter weight by a good margin and whole lot less expensive.

This saw will be a compliment to my MS 362-CM so, a minor loss in power and torque is not a huge concern as long as it will limb and cut reasonable sized firewood.

How do these two saws compare to each other? Who owns and uses an Echo CS-361P? Is it a good durable, reliable saw? Is the extra ~$200 for the Stihl money well spent, and if so why?

TIA,
Sid

With having the 362 and your intended use, I'd be looking hard at the Echo. That said, I think the 241 could be the best small saw I will ever own.
If you want to widen your brand choice, a Dolmar 421 might be worth a look too. Not sure how the pricing compares.

With having the 362 and your intended use, I'd be looking hard at the Echo. That said, I think the 241 could be the best small saw I will ever own.
If you want to widen your brand choice, a Dolmar 421 might be worth a look too. Not sure how the pricing compares.
241c best saw ever !

Stihl MS 241-CM; 42.6cc engine and 9.9lbs
Echo CS-361P 36.8cc engine and 8.3lbs

I am pretty convinced that the MS 241-CM is a great option for me but, I keep seeing these Echo CS-361P's which are lighter weight by a good margin and whole lot less expensive.

This saw will be a compliment to my MS 362-CM so, a minor loss in power and torque is not a huge concern as long as it will limb and cut reasonable sized firewood.

How do these two saws compare to each other? Who owns and uses an Echo CS-361P? Is it a good durable, reliable saw? Is the extra ~$200 for the Stihl money well spent, and if so why?

TIA,
Sid

I paid 459.00 for my last 241 , ive bitched a time or 2 about how expensive a 241 is but i have now already forgotten the price..it was money well spent.

Only you can decide if its worth it to you.

If you're going to spend $500 plus just get a 550xp. It will smoke any stock 40cc with about the same weight as the heavier ones.

If you want to spend less and don't mind a heavier 40cc go with Dolmar 421.

Less weight and low cost...Echo 400.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Sometimes in small 40cc territory sized wood, the fuel efficiency of a 241cm will get a lot more work done than a 550xp. I have a 550 & its an awesome 50cc class saw, but when delimbing small branches the 241cm wins hands down over it. Saying the 550 weighs about the same as a 241 therefore with the added power its a better choice is a simplistic answer IME. Both saws are class leaders but are best suited to different tasks.

Sometimes in small 40cc territory sized wood, the fuel efficiency of a 241cm will get a lot more work done than a 550xp. I have a 550 & its an awesome 50cc class saw, but when delimbing small branches the 241cm wins hands down over it. Saying the 550 weighs about the same as a 241 therefore with the added power its a better choice is a simplistic answer IME. Both saws are class leaders but are best suited to different tasks.
with this one post you've nearly unraveled the entire basis of Arboristsite. Whatever would we post endlessly about if not power to weight? Fuel efficiency? Pffft! That should pretty much nullify all discussion of ported saws.

with this one post you've nearly unraveled the entire basis of Arboristsite. Whatever would we post endlessly about if not power to weight? Fuel efficiency? Pffft! That should pretty much nullify all discussion of ported saws.
Buy a 241 see! Thank me later. and I like it better than the Husky 346 it is even more agile, I suppose due to the thinner chain. And I really like the way the fuel stretches out because sometimes I am low on gas and this saw gets the job done without going to buy more.

Back