STIHL MS 270, Why?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My sister in Atoka has a 270 and loves it. The reason she has it is because the ACE hardware in Norman lost its Stihl dealer status and dumped some saws for 30% off. She has 34 acres of mostly woods.

Looks really good imo!! Bet you will have fun with it! Can i ask what the Rim Sprocket will do for the saw over the standard one?

Nice new saw !
I've put a few hours on the 270/280's and found they are good value for the money .
My neighbor has an ex rental 270 that he's owned for the last 5 years ( fells and cuts about 3 to 4 cord per year ) and it's been trouble free .

:cheers:

Looks really good imo!! Bet you will have fun with it! Can i ask what the Rim Sprocket will do for the saw over the standard one?

From what I gather, if the chain gets thrown when sawing, there is reduced tendency to damage, both to the saw and chain. Secondly; after initial installation of a Rim Sprocket the cost of replacing the Rim is reduced considerably over the cost of replacing the Spur/Drum Sprocket. I've noted it is being used on some bigger saws too.

My Dealer recommended I get one after the Spur needs changing out. He uses one on his 290 and he thinks it is an improvement over the Spur. His enthusiasm is what inspired me to try out this Rim. That's all I know on it at this time.
sthilrimkit221.jpg

The rim type also makes it easier for the chain to line up properly with the bar - that saves some wear and tear! :curl-lip:

In this Pic the Removable Rim Sprocket is shown on the Drum. Another thing said about the Rim is that during operations the rem moves freely on the bearings from side to side with the chain during rotation, where as the sprocket is stationary, allowing the chain to walk back and forth across the rowls of the spur creating seperate groves in the sprocket as the sprocket wears down.
rimkit21_1.jpg

From what I gather, if the chain gets thrown when sawing, there is reduced tendency to damage, both to the saw and chain. Secondly; after initial installation of a Rim Sprocket the cost of replacing the Rim is reduced considerably over the cost of replacing the Spur/Drum Sprocket. I've noted it is being used on some bigger saws too.

My Dealer recommended I get one after the Spur needs changing out. He uses one on his 290 and he thinks it is an improvement over the Spur. His enthusiasm is what inspired me to try out this Rim. That's all I know on it at this time.
sthilrimkit221.jpg

Do you have the part number of the kit to do the conversion to a rim or the part numbers to the individual parts needed to do the conversion on a MS280?

Nice saw!!!... and I like that big green calf-puller!!!

Stihl makes great saws, the non-pro models hold up fine. Put the right gas in them, keep the air filter clean, and store them properly and you won't have any trouble.

The biggest part of having a good cutting saw is always having a SHARP CHAIN

200 horsepower calf puller...LMAO:jester:

While we may differ in our brand of choice, there is one thing that I just love..

A guy getting a saw, that he wants and using it.

I think here, there is alot of large saws being bought and used, just beceause we like them, not really need them.

Good for you!

Hope it lasts a long time for you!

Why not?
Your happy, it does what you need it to do, what does it matter what we the peanut gallery think of it?
A buddy of mine has one, with an 18" on it, I don't like it because of the stupid toolless bar tensioner, but other than that it cuts fine!
Have fun, cut wood, that's what it's all about anyway!
I have a 2003 270 18” bar with that stupid tool less tensioner and love it 😂

I used a 270 and loved it, it prompted me to buy a 280, the electronically controlled larger displacement version.
My buddy has that 280. His coil went and the replacement is hard to find and expensive compared to aftermarket on Amazon which will work but you lose the ability to shut it off with the switch.

Latest posts

Back