stihl ms 290 vs. ms 310

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
WRW said:
I'd be tempted to try this advice before making any big purchase. You might be surprised. Really surprised.

One other option would be to see if the dealer would take the 250 as trade toward the 361...it may offset the difference between the 310 and the 361.

Now you're talkin!:rock:

sawinredneck said:
ms 290 .. 13pds
ms 310 .. 13pds
ms 390 .. 13pds
ms 361 .. 12.3pds
That's the "official" Stihl numbers, but according to independent test reports (KWF/DLG), the 290-series saws weights .2 kg (close to .5 lbs) more than adverticed, while the 361 weights as adverticed.

SawTroll, as usual I think you're on to something! When I bought my 029 Farm Boss in 2000 I'm almost certain Stihl had the weight advertised at 13.5 lbs. both in their catalog and on their web site. Now they advertise the MS290 Farm Boss at 13 lbs. I just figured they might have lightened it up a little bit.

I have a ms250 and I put a stihl RS chain it and it made a huge difference in performance from the RM2 chain. Even if you go with a larger saw, I would put a RS chain on your ms250!!!

This was the same boat I was in three years ago. I went to the dealer to buy a new 029/290 saw. I ended up buying a used 036 and an engine for the tiller for the same money I would have had in the new 029. :laugh: It's still funny to me any way.

I don't know if you would consider a used saw or not but I would buy a used 036 before I would get a 290. I've aquired an 029 and cut with it for two weekends now I'm getting ready to sell it. It is the feels to be the same weight as my 036 and and about half the power. Just not worth it imo. And opinions are like elbows!

Best of luck to you in what ever you decide, there is no "bad" chainsaw unless it says Wild thing on the side!

Size matters

I've always been a poor boy growing up. Hence, I've always lugged around 15lb saws and seem to prefer them. The heavier the better. When I started cutting oak logs, many around 36-48" on the butt end, I started running a Stihl 056. That's probably the newest saw I've ever touched. The old Stihl's, 040's 041's were pretty much all we used. I called Stihl, they said they were rated at 3.9hp. I wanted something bigger, but really couldn't afford a new saw, i've never had a new saw and don't plan on buying one for the cost of what they want now, so I bought my Husky 266XP. I like it quite a bit. I've also used a 288XP, I'd like to get my hands on that bugger, but the dude won't sell it. I like both Stihl and Husky's, but no matter what I've used or the comparison, it seems the Husky's don't really have the low end torque you need when you get into the bigger wood. What I mean by that is when your sawing larger logs, it seems they bog down quicker, they definitely cut faster on smaller stuff, and in the bigger stuff they start out cutting alot faster, but when they do get bogged, where the Stihl keeps right on churning out the chips, they get bogged. Course it prolly doesn't help that I'm yanking on the dogs constantly. Always go with a bigger saw if you can afford it. That way you'll be prepared no matter what comes your way, big or small. Remember, you can always cut small wood with a big saw, but you can't cut big wood with a small saw...

ciscoguy01 said:
Remember, you can always cut small wood with a big saw, but you can't cut big wood with a small saw...

I don't know about that, in despiration my 011 has blocked 26" red oak. Not real fast, but it did it! Wouldn't try it every day though.

well guys i bought the 290 and i love it! First tree i cut was a 26" red oak that had been down for about 6 months and it went through it like butter! it is a great saw i am very happy.

ltrane said:
well guys i bought the 290 and i love it! First tree i cut was a 26" red oak that had been down for about 6 months and it went through it like butter! it is a great saw i am very happy.

We lost one.....:cry: :cry: :cry:
But if you're happy, that's really all that counts........:bowdown: :bowdown:

Last edited:
ltrane said:
Welp.......I am kinda surprized at your choice after our pressure :dizzy: I am glad you are happy with your MS 290 :clap: I never used or owned one. Just remember that your next saw has gotta be a MS 361 or bigger when ya get a little more money saved up thou :hmm3grin2orange: If ya hang with us here on these forums........you will end up with a garage full of saws :greenchainsaw: >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Talon

talon1189 said:
Welp.......I am kinda surprized at your choice after our pressure :dizzy: I am glad you are happy with your MS 290 :clap: I never used or owned one. Just remember that your next saw has gotta be a MS 361 or bigger when ya get a little more money saved up thou :hmm3grin2orange: If ya hang with us here on these forums........you will end up with a garage full of saws :greenchainsaw: >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Talon

thanks alot!!! i promise my next saw will be the 361 maybe sooner than you think! i have really enjoyed this forum lots of great information and most of all very helpful people! i will continue to keep in touch, thanks again for all the help.

Congratulations on your saw ltrane!! Keep the chain sharp and away from body parts and you should be makin chips for a long time to come.

I'm impressed you stayed the course in the midst of all the effort here to sway you.

We're loosing our touch! (just for you BlueRidge:laugh: )

Stick around ltrane and we'll get ya' sooner or later!! :hmm3grin2orange: You haven't heard the last of this!

Chaser

ltrane said:

Wise choice. You'll be pleased with, I am sure. I did a ton of cutting with mine and it was a flawless performer. Did you get the saw with .325" or 3/8" chain?

Lots of chuckleheads would have you believe that there is only one "right" choice and that the choice is usually suggested is the MS361. Sure, the 361 is a fine saw but the truth is that the 290 is as big a seller as it is for a reason - you can do a lot of darned cutting for the price!

So with that said, happy cutting!

OMG dude

SmokinDodge said:
I don't know about that, in despiration my 011 has blocked 26" red oak. Not real fast, but it did it! Wouldn't try it every day though.

You gotta be kidding me. That's so funny. You'll love this story. A good friend of mine is a DIE HARD husky guy, he11, I've even got one now. I went down and bought a 455 Rancher, the sales dude swore up and down that it would cut all over my old Stihl 041's. Said, "bring it back if'n ya don't like it, but I'll guarantee it'll be the last saw you ever touch..." Sooooooo, I give him the $400 for it and brought it home to start hacking away at some nice medium sized oak/birch/ash. Probably around 30inch logs. Dude, you would laugh. Everytime you even think about putting a little pressure on the dogs, the thing would just die. When I got a full blade's length into it, the husky guy, my buddy, thought the thing was on fire because the clutch was about to burn off it. Talk about a POS. Soooo, long story short, I bought a new chain for my OLD 1970's 041 and waltzed right through that load of logs. Now that's the farm series, the XP is a completely different subject, those are great saws. But I gotta laugh at my old Stihl's still kicking the ass of the new junk they're selling at lowes and the outlet stores, lol... I still swear by my Stihls, I like alot of the husky pro series, I like my 266xp and the 288xp, but those little crackpots you buy in the store, you're better off with a bowsaw...

a 455 in a 30" log? LOL... that's askin' a lot. Kinda like me burying my 346xp and 20" bar in that 25-30" cherry trunk this past spring. I gave up and just took the limbs. Didn't help that the ol husky was losing power and on it's last leg.

Ian

Latest posts

Back