stihl ms 381 vs husqvana 372xp

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The 372 has better AV, revs higher and is probably lighter.

The 372 is a newer generation saw, the MS381 is the old 038 Magnum with a bit of plastic surgery.
It'll still do the job but the 372 is a younger model ;)

Both are legendary in reliability.

What sort of $ are they asking for both ?

I guessed you were a Kiwi, they don't have the 381 in North America and AFAIK there isn't a Nelson on this side of the Tasman ;)

I'd drop the extra NZ$100 more and grab the 372, the Huskies just feel nicer in my hands, but once you start using a saw it probably doesn't really matter.

Not that it matters, but the 381 comes from Stihl's Brazilian plant and the 372 should be made in Sweden.

FWIW those prices sound much the same as they are charging here ATM, converting to Oz$'s

As much as I like the 038 and all it's brothers, I would say the 372 is the better saw for the money.

Better meaning, it's a little quicker in the cut and a little smoother to operate. The differences is'nt nothing to brag about though. The 038 is a torquey devil. I think they pull longer bars just as good as 372s. JMO.

If you could try them both out, just pick the one that feels best to you.

Makita they have only just come to the area about a year ago.
so it is not so well known unlike the other two.

The 372 is quicker, quieter and smoother. The 381 would outlast your grandkids. Both good saws, depends what your priorities are

Makita they have only just come to the area about a year ago.
so it is not so well known unlike the other two.

If they are selling for less than the Husky and Stihl, (they are quite a bit cheaper here) have a good look.
Hell, even if they aren't cheaper, have a look.
Bloody good saws straight out of the Dolmar factory in Hamburg, Germany. ;)

Stock, the 7900 will show a clean pair of heels to a 372, 440, 441 and 460, the 7300 is equivalent to the 372 and 441 in speed I believe (I've never run one)
I love the way they handle, they feel better in my hands to an equivalent Stihl, some prefer the feel of the Stihl.

Last edited:
The 381 is made in China.

Really ? You've never seen the saw yet you know it's made in China ?

Read post #6 above, current production are made in Brazil by Stihl and are still sold new in this part of the world.
It wasn't a copy we were discussing, it's the real deal.

Direct comparison to the ms381/ 038mag is the 272xp husqvarna, NOT the 372xp

Except he was comparing two new saws at a comparable cc and price point.

Really ? You've never seen the saw yet you know it's made in China ?

Read post #6 above, current production are made in Brazil by Stihl and are still sold new in this part of the world.
It wasn't a copy we were discussing, it's the real deal.

Except he was comparing two new saws at a comparable cc and price point.

Yea but, you just cant compare those two saws, like apples to hash browns:laugh:

Latest posts

Back