Stihl ms 460

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mr_kosh

Reaction score
:confused::confused: Help if you can i have recently won a stihl ms 460 on ebay , i belive this saw to be an awesome beast and thus in a lets say "a few tins to the wind state " won it !!!, looks like its had a hard life . Im a little concerned that its not a ms 460 as theres no cover plates to match what i think is a 460 . could it be a 044?? or any other model ?Tiff its a ms 460 i will spend a few bob getting it right but if its a lesser saw , i dont know is there any identifications on the main engine that can prove its a 460 ??? or what else do i look for to make sure its a 460?? ??

eBay - The UK's Online Marketplace

Im fairly new to the land of big saw men and would like a little advice as i dont want to be popp a joker on it as for all my knowlage it be a 180 ....???

Many thanks for your advice .

Kosh

:confused::confused: Help if you can i have recently won a stihl ms 460 on ebay , i belive this saw to be an awesome beast and thus in a lets say "a few tins to the wind state " won it !!!, looks like its had a hard life . Im a little concerned that its not a ms 460 as theres no cover plates to match what i think is a 460 . could it be a 044?? or any other model ?Tiff its a ms 460 i will spend a few bob getting it right but if its a lesser saw , i dont know is there any identifications on the main engine that can prove its a 460 ??? or what else do i look for to make sure its a 460?? ??

eBay - The UK's Online Marketplace

Im fairly new to the land of big saw men and would like a little advice as i dont want to be popp a joker on it as for all my knowlage it be a 180 ....???

Many thanks for your advice .

Kosh

Looks just like my MS460, why would you think it was something else? it has the MS460 plate on the top cover.

IMG_0260.jpg

If my memory serves me right, the 460 has no dip in the upper corner of the case half. above the oil fill cap Looks right in the pics on the auction

oh ya forgot I havent seen a 044 with decomp valve either

Pretty sure you have won a 460. Its an older model by the look of the caps. Also the aircleaner shroud is that of a 460 and NOT like a 44. Either way you have a nice saw! Congrads and Enjoy!!

What you have pictured in the auction is actually an 046, which is the earlier version of the MS-460.

They're fine saws. The 046 had a slightly higher power rating than the MS-460 due to a better carburetor,
cylinder, and piston. The earlier ignitions had more aggressive timing as well.

:bowdown: Indeed many thanks for the words of wisdom , after a few neck oils of lager i popped 044 instaed of 046 ...!!!

:msp_thumbup: I did think that it was an older saw due to the fuel caps not being click and twists .

Question i now have the saw and need to check if its been radged ( hard hard life , run without the propper 2 stihl oil ) , im trying to get the muffler screw out but "there dug in tigher than an alabama tick " lol . Once there out how do i check to see saw pistons ect ok ???, what do i need to look for ??

Many Thanks , i thought pike and preds was a good forum ....!!!!! , this one blows its stack.....!!!

Kosh

You could compression test, and or look at piston through exhaust port. Piston should be smooth no scoring or anything like that, some cheap insurance would be replace fuel line and filter. In my runnins with new to me saws, I replace the crank seals and then you know what you have. Im sure you will like that saw

:bowdown: Indeed many thanks for the words of wisdom , after a few neck oils of lager i popped 044 instaed of 046 ...!!!

:msp_thumbup: I did think that it was an older saw due to the fuel caps not being click and twists .

Question i now have the saw and need to check if its been radged ( hard hard life , run without the propper 2 stihl oil ) , im trying to get the muffler screw out but "there dug in tigher than an alabama tick " lol . Once there out how do i check to see saw pistons ect ok ???, what do i need to look for ??

Many Thanks , i thought pike and preds was a good forum ....!!!!! , this one blows its stack.....!!!

Kosh

Who cares if it WORKed Hard..It's A STIHL You own-it!

Pull your muffler....and show us a pic ..

Latest posts

Back