Stihl MS 661 having the bog blues

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The 362 is very smooth, and has good power for it's size, but is just a long way away from being a 661. Enjoy the 362, I really like mine, but it is my small saw. Hope they figure out (or replace) your 661. A shame they are having problems even after the recall, and I'm also disappointed that they have not done more to resolve it on a timely basis.

I presume the 441 C was also not available. I have heard there is a production problem.

Stop saying stuff like this....its costly...it's hard to deny, the 661 ticks all the boxes!
Yeah, it really does.
Talk to Randy, he'll fix you up with a hell of a saw and cheaper than you can buy a stock one here

Well today not so much luck. the new 362 has a rich bog when blipping the trigger and dies randomly. Can a guy get a new saw anymore that runs right?? Its really noticeable when feathering the throttle while trimming the holding wood felling trees. blip it 3 times real quick then hit the throttle hard and she stumbles and throws out a bunch of smoke..... Seems like the opposite problem that the 661 had, it was too lean of accelerator pump and the 362 is pumping too much. Definatly a carb problem

well my 241cm is still flawless, except the bar that I already wore out. What is the standard compression of a 362cm??? the one I got is at 140# with about 1 gallon of fuel. That seems low to me for a stihl. That 661 out of the box had 175# and my 241cm when it was new had 160# now its got 165#

Well today not so much luck. the new 362 has a rich bog when blipping the trigger and dies randomly. Can a guy get a new saw anymore that runs right?? Its really noticeable when feathering the throttle while trimming the holding wood felling trees. blip it 3 times real quick then hit the throttle hard and she stumbles and throws out a bunch of smoke..... Seems like the opposite problem that the 661 had, it was too lean of accelerator pump and the 362 is pumping too much. Definatly a carb problem
This is reinforcement why I like the older stihls.:chainsaw:

Why the need to "blip" the throttle ? Perhaps you are messing up the M-tronic setting doing that .

Ohh and why in gods green earth does stihl put an accelerator pump in their carbs??
Extra fuel is required for acceleration - either you set the idle and idle transition rich all the time or you provide the extra fuel with a pump and set the mixture correct.

Here we go with an update today. I was doing a thinning and pruning job today and I needed the longer length of the 32" 661 to reach some large grand fir limbs. When the saw is running full throttle while the bar is pointed to the sky it runs really rich, four stroken like crazy, then when bar is horizontal it revs a lot higher. Still sounds like a carb issue to me.
Mine does not bog when the bar is vertical, it just has a very slight hesitation when throttle blipping after the second or third blip when coming off of a cut.

After the muffler mod and air filter was added to mine, it stumbled (4 stroking) in the cut alot, then it cleared up by the end of the second tank.

Also, I am running a MaxFlow air filter with my muffler mod, so the slight bog could be due to the modifications

A saw should be able to have crisp throttle response limbing and bucking ,a bog is bs ,my 461 was a pain in the a$$ to limb with when i got it ,kept bouncing off the rev limiter limbing ,the 460 coil fixed that saw though ,seems like over the years you have had bad luck with saws ,mostly auto tunes by the looks of it ,am sure you are not the only one out there though ,the others are just not speaking up about it .

A saw should be able to have crisp throttle response limbing and bucking ,a bog is bs ,my 461 was a pain in the a$$ to limb with when i got it ,kept bouncing off the rev limiter limbing ,the 460 coil fixed that saw though ,seems like over the years you have had bad luck with saws ,mostly auto tunes by the looks of it ,am sure you are not the only one out there though ,the others are just not speaking up about it .

Spoken , .. my 362 needs a coil :(

But i get it thursday..so no big deal.

Blasphemy, the ms362cm is awesome!!!!
Spoken , .. my 362 needs a coil :(

But i get it thursday..so no big deal.

Ignored.

Latest posts

Back