Stihl ms250

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i'm sure 98% of the people could survive just fine if they all owned a 025/250. They are good saws, it's just the CAD talking. I grab my 021 90% if the time. It's light, cuts well, and won't hurt your back. Cutting wood most of the time is mental thing, i'm not in a hurry and don't think about all the other daily life crude. If I break out the 660 to cut it's over in 1/4 of the time and that means I have to go back to my regular work.

BS!--unless your cutting 10 cord or less a year --then maybe.

their a good saw IF you have very, very light work to do. How does it compare to a 46cc wild thing?

a local tree service is running these saws. i asked the owner why was he running them?

he said they were the only saw his help wouldn't steal. but occasionally they would toss one in the chipper just for kicks!

i do think the guy is running a bunch of illegal aliens on his job though.

Stihl 025

I can't vouch for the new MS-250. However, I can for the 025 I have.

It seems many here don't rate the so called homeowner saw too highly!
The only reason I can honestly think is due to the lack of service and main workshop friendliness.
I have experience in this after rebuild on mine - fuel lines, carb, impulse, muffler, top end overhaul etc...
In use I think the 025 saws give great power to weight ratio and pretty good handling. the high revving block puts out 3.0 to 3.1 HP which really isn't bad for a compact saw at only 44cc or so.
I have recently been running between the 025 and 350 (346 topend) as well as an ancient 45.. a few points I like on the 025 is the inboard clutch and chain break, quick access to air filter.
to sum up I think the 025 (MS-250 is virtually the same, isn't it?) is a great little performer - limbing, felling smaller trees, firewood.
I think all the homeowner ease of use features are sh*t* though... quick tensioning, decomp, twisty caps etc...none of which I have or would recommend.
Seriously, they are not as bad as some make out here.
all saws have their own design and operational idiosynchracies, perhaps the 025 is the worst I have worked on, but the performance I think pretty much makes it evens on mine....

I really don't have a lot of experience with the 025/250 but I really do like my 210. I have cut a lot with it and have not had any problems. I like the way it sips fuel. It is the saw that I gas up and take back in the woods and walk the trails to clear small fallen trees and branches and not have to carry a gas can. If not for the fuel economy though, my 260 Pro would be my preference. It weighs about the same and just seems more svelte. I'm always on the lookout for a decent used 024, seems like it would be a handy saw to have around, mostly CAD though, I don't need it, more importantly, cant afford it right now.

I have a 250 that was purchased just for limbing. Had a little trouble with it at first on coils going out but it's been fine since. it works fine for limbing and i will use it to fell and buck with if the tree is under 18 inches. But that being said if i had to do it over i would have bought the 260. More money but more saw and better quality.

$150 difference retail

I have a 250 that was purchased just for limbing. Had a little trouble with it at first on coils going out but it's been fine since. it works fine for limbing and i will use it to fell and buck with if the tree is under 18 inches. But that being said if i had to do it over i would have bought the 260. More money but more saw and better quality.

up here, ms250 is $450, MS260 is $600.

but used, the 250 looks better. At 45cc, it works great for my camp saw, and felling up to 14 inches is no problem. Light, easy to handle, and not too fast as to get you in trouble.

If I had the cash back then I'd have gone with a 026... or 024..
now I have 3 025/250's Once I get my 024 running, I'll know what I was missing in the 45cc area...

:agree2: I should have made myself clear in my previous post! They are a good saw for a homeowner to cut a few limbs up a couple times a yr. For any serious work, firewood included they are a very poor choice!

You base this off of what? All the tree services that run the crap out of them or all the guys that run them for years heating their homes with wood cut by this very saw. A $109 menards saw is made for a homeowner that cuts a few BRANCHES a year. I suppose my 211 is good for a few branches a year yet the cheap little turd got a hundred or so hours on it the first year and outlasted other company's so called pro saws. I just bought 2 250's, one for a backup/extra saw on the truck and one for my 11 yr old son who's working his way through the ranks of learning chainsaw operations and I think their a damn fine saw for 3bills. Buy one and run it for a few years instead of disecting it cosmetically and then decide.

I have been using the ms250 for three years now and have cut 6 to 8 cords of wood per year the saw is light and cuts fine with the 18" bar in pine, oak, ash, fir penyon and cedar as long as you dont try to cut over 30" trees and you aren’t in a hurry. as far as the cheep plastic it has held up vary well the only problem I have had is a bad o ring on the oiler input line which seals off the pump.

Latest posts

Back