Stihl ms261c or bigger?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Have several 026 saws, plus a couple MS260s and a MS261.
The 261 has the best air filtration of the group and spring AV, but the 026 saws are more compact and nimble.
On the other hand, parts for the 026 are available everywhere and the saws are super easy to work on.
A 462 would be a nice addition to the family, but personally I'd keep an eye out for a Husky 372.

If you prefer stihl 462 all the way for what you're doing or a used 70cc saw.
To me there's no sense in having a 50 and a 60 unless you already have a 70. Besides the 362 is so close in weight to the 462 or any other 60cc saw cost or availability would be the only reason I would consider a 60. Personally I would wait if cost or availability was an issue until I could get the 462, it's a great saw for the weight.
The 261 is a much stronger saw than the 026, better handling(angled top handle), flippy caps, spring AV, better filtration, way better fuel economy, captive bar nuts, and return to run master switch, all these things make the 261 way faster/more efficient. Unless you like the old technology I find nothing about the 026 that would draw me to it over the 261.

I used my neighbors 261 (maybe a year old at the most) alongside my 026, while the 261 is overall a nicer saw, there was one thing I totally detested about that 261 - that on/off powerband! you can't lean into these newer stihls without snuffing the chain out....

I used my neighbors 261 (maybe a year old at the most) alongside my 026, while the 261 is overall a nicer saw, there was one thing I totally detested about that 261 - that on/off powerband! you can't lean into these newer stihls without snuffing the chain out....
Sounds like the chain was the problem, not the saw, a properly tuned chain can make or break a saw quickly.
Was the 261 fully broke in, was it the latest version?
What chain did the 261 have on it, and what chain did the 026 have on it, and what length bars.
A stock 261 will do an okay job pulling a 20x3/8(I prefer them to be ported with a 20x3/8), while I'd want an 18x325 on an 026 and the 18" mainly for reach when limbing as they do great with a 16x325 bucking.

261 is a year old at the most, so whatever version that is???? And definitely broken in.
Absolutely, a chain can easily make or break a saw.....
Both saws 16" bars, 026 wearing .325 stihl RS, 261 was also an RS chain, but I do not know if 3/8's or .325........both chains "newish", they weren't dull by any means.
Don't get me wrong, the 261 easily had more nut, as long as you kept the engine zinging......NOT a linear powerband by any means, that's the part I personally don't like. I know a lot of people DON'T mind that, it's just one of my peeves.

A 261 should have a lot more guts than a 026.

261 is a year old at the most, so whatever version that is???? And definitely broken in.
Absolutely, a chain can easily make or break a saw.....
Both saws 16" bars, 026 wearing .325 stihl RS, 261 was also an RS chain, but I do not know if 3/8's or .325........both chains "newish", they weren't dull by any means.
Don't get me wrong, the 261 easily had more nut, as long as you kept the engine zinging......NOT a linear powerband by any means, that's the part I personally don't like. I know a lot of people DON'T mind that, it's just one of my peeves.
As Brad said the 261 has way more all the way around than an 026, then you add in all the other features and the average cut time for a 261 is substantially faster.
The 261 has a wider power band, so I'm unsure of why you would describe it the way you do.
The only reason I'd keep an 026 is if it was ported, and a ported 261 would knock it right out of the basement in no time. That being said I'd much rather run a late model 550 mk1, huskys just handle much better than stihls lol.

So while the MS261 is a fine saw, you already have a 026 which is VERY similar... as in just an older version of the same saw. For what you are describing, it sounds like the 026 will do most of what you want, but you might want something that can handle a 20" bar a little better than the 026.
The 500i (79cc) is quite a step up from the 026...Honestly, I think that is more saw than you need (if that is a thing) Plus they are $$$. I might suggest looking at something like the MS362 it will give you an additional 10 CC's (59cc) from your 026 (49cc)and can run a 20" bar. The power to weight ratio is similar as well. Or if you want something a little larger maybe look at the MS400. (67cc)
I ended up buying a used stihl ms362c. I believe it's a 2015 model. I noticed a sticker that says farm boss. I'm not sure if that was added after original owner purchased. Any info on farm boss saws if there's a difference?

I ended up buying a used stihl ms362c. I believe it's a 2015 model. I noticed a sticker that says farm boss. I'm not sure if that was added after original owner purchased. Any info on farm boss saws if there's a difference?

Farm Boss are a clamshell design I think

There's no such thing as a 362 farm boss. So likely it's just a sticker.

In the modern era, yes anything that came branded as a Farm Boss, wood boss, etc is a plastic clamshell saw. I do believe there were some like 04X saws that said Farm Boss as well as 028 wood boss saws, all of which would have been metal, pro type construction. But that was decades ago.

Ryan has it pretty much covered below Robert.
There's no such thing as a 362 farm boss. So likely it's just a sticker.

In the modern era, yes anything that came branded as a Farm Boss, wood boss, etc is a plastic clamshell saw. I do believe there were some like 04X saws that said Farm Boss as well as 028 wood boss saws, all of which would have been metal, pro type construction. But that was decades ago.

I would agree with most, if you already have an 026 and it's in good working order, I would look for a 60 to 70 cc saw. I run an 026 and an 036, but with 18" bars. I use the 026 for limbs and smaller stuff. The 036 does most of my felling and bucking. I run a full chisel .325 chain on it with a 9 pin rim, and I keep my rakers rather short and my cutters sharp. It's a very grabby setup, but if you're not cutting much over 20", it works great. So long as the nose isn't buried (16" and under), it will keep up with, or out run my 064 wearing a 28" bar and running a full comp full chisel 404 chain.

What is the 1st number in the serial number

I called stihl and gave them the s/n. It is a ms362cm. I thought I got scammed after doing some research after purchasing it. The saw has a cracked handle so possibly the chain side cover took a hit and was switched also as it is plastic (sticker is on there). Are they supposed to be magnesium?

As Brad said the 261 has way more all the way around than an 026, then you add in all the other features and the average cut time for a 261 is substantially faster.
The 261 has a wider power band, so I'm unsure of why you would describe it the way you do.
The only reason I'd keep an 026 is if it was ported, and a ported 261 would knock it right out of the basement in no time. That being said I'd much rather run a late model 550 mk1, huskys just handle much better than stihls lol.
I agree with Brett but I will add I’ve had many 50’s stihl and husqvarna/jonsered and husqvarna/jred just makes a sweet 50 class saw. I love 026/261 but I just love the husky/jred more when it comes to 50’s. For a stock saw the 550 is the best I’ve owned and ported the 346/2153 saws run with authority one of these with a 18 bar will surprise you at the work it can do.

Back