Stihl MS310 bar and chain questions

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Gday , may I get some advice on how you went about advancing the timing please
I have a 310 ive M n Med and retuned and its a cracka of a little saw
Its light and a wee screamer 20 inch bar and 3/8 full chiz at 25 degrees always cutting Aussie hard wood and its my main work horse although I have 3 x 64s for the bigger stuff and a 38 magnum the 310 is the one I have in the ute always
Im of the opinion bigger saws for bigger bar n chain for bigger trees but I have fell and cut up two foot or slightly bigger with the 310 just took longer
the 310 makes a good heading / liming saw
I have a 390 kit for it but will wait until I really need to fit it

Its light and a wee screamer 20 inch bar and 3/8 full chiz at 25 degrees always cutting Aussie hard wood and its my main work horse although I have 3 x 64s for the bigger stuff and a 38 magnum the 310 is the one I have in the ute always
Im of the opinion bigger saws for bigger bar n chain for bigger trees but I have fell and cut up two foot or slightly bigger with the 310 just took longer
Hell I thought you guys used semi-chisel on your hard wood....I know I use Semi-chisel on Osage and locust here...

Does the chise hold up long???

Cheeves, I see that you did the M-mod. I'm curious if you did the timing advance as well? The MM made a huge difference which I did first. Then I did the timing advance-ground 1/3 of the key out. Wow!!! Even more power and no lag whatsoever. The power that this thing makes now is why I asked about the 28" bar. I'm no expert but I think it has to be making 4.5 horsepower or more now.
Exactly!!! Whole different saw and Smooth too! Use mine to buck logs here in my wood pile!
I use the 16" bar and chisel chain from Bailey's.....Woodland Pro. Carlton chains I believe. Been using them for 6 years now! Saw will handle a 20" bar no problem but 28's I believe would be stretching it!

Exactly!!! Whole different saw and Smooth too! Use mine to buck logs here in my wood pile!
I use the 16" bar and chisel chain from Bailey's.....Woodland Pro. Carlton chains I believe. Been using them for 6 years now! Saw will handle a 20" bar no problem but 28's I believe would be stretching it!
Yeah the full chiz is good well I think and most everyone I know used it

I followed this link on you tube. It had the best illustrations of what exactly needs done.

THANKYOU DIGGA WELL DONE
You will be very happy with this timing mod. I would also do the muffler mod at the same time. Be sure to use 91 octane (ethanol free of course). Adjust the H screw out to get it just barely four stoking at full throttle till the chain hits the wood and the pitch changes to a two stroke sound.

OK, it is review time. I received the 24" oregon bar and Baileys house brand Woodland pro 30SCS84 (cut at 25 degrees) semi chisel skip chain. I immediately installed this and after admiring the view of a big ass bar and a wicked looking skip chain on my 310, went to tackle the 36" pieces of red oak. I have to say that I am more than impressed with this combination!!! :rock:I was tearing through this oak like I never imagined it could. Granted, I would not win any speed competitions but I was cutting through these pieces at about 1 minute each. It did not bog down unless I really leaned on it hard, but I am a believer in letting the saw do the work so it kept the revs up just fine. I even took out a stump and hit a little dirt in the process which did not dull the chain in the slightest. The wife even make a comment about the huge amount of wood chunks spewing out of the saw. YEAH!!!!! (Insert man groan:numberone:) So what are my thoughts? I am very glad that I listened to you guys and did not go 28". I think that would have been asking way too much of the saw. The 24" made the saw a little nose heavy but I didn't mind that at all. The chain did get warm but never real hot, I was still able to touch it without burning myself after cuts. I believe that the oilier turned all the way up was keeping up, as it used almost a whole tank of bar oil to gas. I also think that there is no way that a stock MS310 could pull this combo, I feel that the mods I made definitely made this a working combo. I have to admit that I thought I may have to order the 390 top end but now I'm not so sure, it is working just fine. Thank you all for your comments and I hope this review helps out anyone questioning the 24" bar on a MS310

Latest posts

Back