Stihl MS361 Club roll call.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
361 Club 4-6-07

Bought it as an up-grade to an MS-310, the 310 after a couple years dose not own me a dime, the 361 will pay for it's self paid for in no time!

Have about 4 gallons of fuel through it and about 20 cords of firewood and logs cut and on the ground. Found it to be an excellent accomplishment with a 16" bar to an MS-660 that lives with a 28" for Colorado Aspen Ponderosa , Lodge Pole pine and Douglas Fir in the Colorado Rocky's.

I'm confused; what makes the 361C a "commercial" model; what are the differences between it and the 'regular' ms361?? Mine is a late '05 model, I think. Don't have the serial # handy.

Nothing really, it is a pro class saw anyway, but some (including me) would rather avoid the extra "features" of the "c" model....:greenchainsaw:

Last edited:
The "C" has the no-tool chain adjuster. My dealer had both when I got mine...I opted for the old-fashion one!

Jim

Gotcha. I only just recently used it with a bar, to be honest. I LOVE it. Lots of power, and did I mention that my back doesn't hurt after using it?? The 394XP is a beast, but its a heavy beast. The 361 is normally the powerhead for my ripsaw, which is about to get some serious use. The quick-tensioner wouldn't do me much good as the sideplate has probably been mounted on the saw no more than 5 times ever.

361 club member

Got mine (slightly used) sometime in early '06. Zero issues so far. Have not done any mods but I'm thinking WHY? I've used both 20 and 24/5 inch bars in softwood. This saw impresses everyone around here.:D

Picked up a 361 last winter, and then found a pristine 034 a few months later. Oh well....you can't have too many saws!

The 361 is awesome. I have a 20' bar on it. Took down 2 firs and a small apple tree last weekend. One of the firs was on a very steep hill, which got me thinking about picking up one new Stihl 3/4 wrap kits for it sometime. :D

All right you guys got me, mid April of this year.

Last year my wife and I bought a house with a wood stove and I found myself with a use for a chainsaw. I didn't know where to start looking but a google search led me to Arboristsite.com. Everything I read lead me to go get the ms361 and Thank You it is a great saw! I've only cut about 3-4 cord so far but am heading back out this weekend to try and get a couple more. Funny thing is I started reading your post to help me decide what I wanted but 2 months after getting my saw I'm still coming back here. I figured I'm hooked I may as well post something.

Last year my wife and I bought a house with a wood stove and I found myself with a use for a chainsaw. I didn't know where to start looking but a google search led me to Arboristsite.com. Everything I read lead me to go get the ms361 and Thank You it is a great saw! I've only cut about 3-4 cord so far but am heading back out this weekend to try and get a couple more. Funny thing is I started reading your post to help me decide what I wanted but 2 months after getting my saw I'm still coming back here. I figured I'm hooked I may as well post something.

Welcome to the site:rock: , I got mine Nov. 06 and love it.
Tom

Birthday present

Got mine in March '06 with a 20" bar - mostly after reading posts on this site. I agree, after 10 -15 tanks it really starts to open up. I've since gotten a 24" bar (w/skip tooth) and recently a 16". Great anti vib and easy to handle. Couldn't be happier.

Welcome to AS, wood4heat! You've not only got a nice saw, but I like your handle as well. :)

I go
t mine

about a year ago TEDMI.
000_0708.jpg

I Have 2. I find myself grabbing something smaller 5100, or something bigger 372-440. :taped:

Imo, the 5100 isn't much smaller really, or lighter - it just looks that way, because of the rounded off contours.....

Put a Rollomatic E on the 361, and a Oregon Pro-Lite on the 5100, and the weight difference will be mostly evened out - put a Norwegian made Husky/Jred bar on the Dolmar, and there will be some difference again, but not as much as the specs say.

Last edited:
Got mine in May of this year. Needed more saw than the 250 and have really enjoyed the extra power to low weight.

Chris

Latest posts

Back