Stihl MS361 Club roll call.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
did many of you that ended up purchasing a new ms361 consider the almost as powerful, little bit lighter and MUCH cheaper dolmar 5100? If so, why did you end up spending nearly $200 more for the ms361?.......[something tells me dealer support has a lot to do with it but let's see!]

did many of you that ended up purchasing a new ms361 consider the almost as powerful, little bit lighter and MUCH cheaper dolmar 5100? If so, why did you end up spending nearly $200 more for the ms361?.......[something tells me dealer support has a lot to do with it but let's see!]

The 5100 didn't even exist when I bought my 361 - and I wouldn't say that it is "almost as powerful" (that is of course debatable), but it is about as fast in smaller wood. They both qualify as very good "allround" saws for what we mostly do though, birches that are 20" and less at the stump.

They are somewhat closer in weight than the specs indicate.

The 5100S isn't offered here at all, had to import it from the US to get it......

Last edited:

Never thought about it for a second, never regretted joining the 361 club.

If I lived closer to a good dealer like Cuttinscott I might have looked at them, but it would have been a tough sell to get me to change my mind.

'Almost as powerful' would most likely leave me wondering everytime I bogged in a cut. :)

If I had to sell all but one of my 6 saws, the 361 would be the one I'd keep.

I went for the 361 based mostly on the good word it receives here. Also I don't know where to find a Dolmar dealer locally but I know where eight Stihl dealers are without looking. One of them is only a half hour or so from where I plan to do most of my cutting.

Here's my favorite camping photo. I keep my MS361C in my floor board of my truck JIC. And yes those osha approved flip flops and shorts.

FYI the stump I'm about to cut the photo is quite rotten. We all kept tripping over it in the dark taking piss breaks while drinking. Yes I did land on some wet grass... Thankfully it's 10' from Wildcat Creek. The funny part is a few of my buddies showed up wet from their piss breaks too. One of them never touched the creek until we enlightened him about the smell coming from him. I had to share the story about the stump.1273080_10151828154919138_1243400926_o.jpg

Last edited:
Man this is an old thread, see some names from when I started a few years ago. Went to my dealer to by a 360 pro, what ever year that was, they had sold their last one and couldn't get any more. Their saw "wizard" and I grew up together so I let him sell me one of the new 361 saws at first I hated the saw, not enough bar oil and way to snakey, so he installed a 460 oil pump and 440 motor mounts really helped out. I've run that saw ever since and now own 2 361's and it's little brother the 341. My favorite stihl's.

Three years ago. My brother bought his new when they came out. He always talked how that little saw ripped. I had a MS360 at the time that got smacked by his MS361. I decided to sell the MS360 to a local young man that lost an arm in a grain auger. I made an attachment that would alow him to easily hook and unhook his prosthetic arm. I then bought the new MS362 planning on kicking my brothers 361 butt. Nope the 361 was noticeably better than the 362. I bought my own now and love it. I'm in the process of finding the 361's sweet spot with the help of my dyno.

Latest posts

Back