Stihl MS391, my first saw, help me accessorize it

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you have not done so already, Read the owners manual.
There is a lot of info there on preparing, using, and maintaining the saw.
There is also much info on safety and PPE.
Available Stihl accessaries will also be listed.
Stihl's website also has many excellent videos.

Don't use your saw without chaps.
I really like my Labonville extreme competion full wrap chaps, although Stihl's 9 ply full wrap chaps also look good.

What air filter issues?

The ones that has been posted about on here several times, more than normal amounts of dust is getting past the filter (happens on the MS362 as well). As I understand it, they have attempted to fix it, but have not been able to - but I don't really know how serious it is.

Well, I don't usually use my saws in dusty places! I mostly use them outdoors and the filter on the 390 was pretty good at filtering wood chips and the occasional mosquito. :)

The ones that has been posted about on here several times, more than normal amounts of dust is getting past the filter (happens on the MS362 as well). As I understand it, they have attempted to fix it, but have not been able to - but I don't really know how serious it is.

My 362 is always perfectly clean behind the air filter.

If I only had one saw I would want dual dawgs on it. As a homeowner sometimes you have flared-out stumps and you want to cut as flush as possible to the ground. With the saw on its side with the clutch cover down, and the only dawg on the top, sometimes you're trying to pry against bark with your crank case. This just twists your bar in the cut.

Also if you don't have a hydraulic splitter and you use your saw for noodling big rounds, the stock chain catcher can become a noodle catcher forcing you to shut the saw down and clear the clutch cover with your finger frequently. The dual dogs allow you to eliminate the stock chain catcher, and they use a roller-type catcher further forward making a larger opening for large chips or noodles.

After chaps I'd say the accessory I'd want is a helmet with face shield and ears. I just got one, and the face shield is more convenient than I thought it would be. I used to come home from a 2-3 hour job looking like I was "tarred and feathered", except "bar oiled and chipped". Also with mine at least (Stihl), the ears click outward away from your ears, so if you need to hear something, you just click them away from your head, and when you want to put them back on you just click them back in, no swinging back behind your head or adjusting.

1FFFC662-9E88-4A92-81CF-759069F37FEF-1390-0000012F0125A0EB.jpg

Another thing someone mentioned but I want to elaborate on is a proper bar scabbard. I find that most saws at my dealer for whatever reason are coming with a scabbard 2"-4" shorter than the bar. I put a pin-hole in a bar-oil jug one time with an uncovered chain, what a mess. Make sure your dealer gives you a full-length scabbard.

Here’s a short list of handy accessories (and extra parts)… most probably ain’t absolutely necessary, but sure can be handy or a day saver at times. I use a sturdy plastic toolbox to keep my “stuff” in… grab and go that way. Over time I’ve added to it as I “learned”.
  • A bar scabbard protects the cutters during transportation (as well as protecting the carpet and seat material of your pickup).
  • An extra scrench… gawd I hate it when I lose my scrench.
  • A couple of cheap paint brushes, one with the bristles trimmed back and reserved for brushing off the air filter, the other for general purpose (such as brushing crap away from fuel/oil caps before opening).
  • An extra set of bar nuts… when you drop one, it bounces off your tailgate, and lands (somewhere) in ankle deep leaf-litter you’ll understand.
  • A hand sledge and an assortment of plastic bucking wedges.
  • An extra spark plug… nothing worse than having one “crap out” on a Sunday afternoon when you’re 8 miles from town.
  • Couple of shop rags.
  • Some sort of tool for cleaning the bar groove… I use a putty knife with a “hook” ground on one corner.
  • ”Strike anywhere” matches.
  • Couple extra chains.
  • A length of good rope, or cable (wire rope).
  • Extra pair of gloves.
  • A small first-aid kit, like they sell for backpackers.
  • Screwdriver for adjusting the carb.
  • A pry bar… can be used to free a lightly pinched saw.
  • A second guide bar… you can take the power head off a tightly pinched bar (this is when you’re most likely to drop a bar nut) and use the second bar to cut the pinched bar free (a different length bar gives you options, but you’ll need different length chains). Besides, you never know when a nose sprocket bearing could “go south” on you.
  • Your sharpening equipment (of course).
  • A hatchet or hand axe.
  • I also carry an extra rim sprocket and air filter (used) because I have room in the box… and ya’ just never know.

Good list

I use a old Cascara knife for cleaning my bar groove when I'm in the wood's it works great

It's a putting knife with the blade of it cut back to about and inch from the handle then sharpened the edge like a knife with one corner rounded. Use it to peel Cascara Bark and sell the bark to buy school clothes when I was in grade school :msp_smile:

DSC_0688.jpg

Last edited:

I got my 391 when they first came out and saw mostly dry hickory and pecan.I haven't had any issues and I check it pretty regular.It may be a user issue.I know some don't like the heavier saws but I'm a big guy and can overlook the weight for the money difference.

Latest posts

Back