Stihl MS460

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dynomite76

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Saw starts first time of the day usually on 2nd pull. Walk away for 20 minutes saw won't start the rest of the day, changed plug and cleaned carb. Any suggestions thanks in advance

Just my experience. Perhaps we need to offer a suggestion. Yes, he needs to ascertain a spark. That;s about the first thing that I do. If the saw started and ran, however, he probably has a spark.

The saw will start when cold, after it has been run it will not restart. Check for spark first, never assume anything. Have spark, then check to see if saw is flooded, to do either it is easy to do with the sparkplug out.

hey guys, don't they warranty those coils for life? i could well be mistaken, don't know were i herd this but if true, couldn't a dealer test.
I doubt that any MFG part is guaranteed for life these days. On the other hand, I've never seen a Stihl ignition coil fail. However, I have replaced two Echo coils on two different models that gave up. The coil of a 1997 Stihl 046 I worked on stopped performing only because the pull-cord housing was packed with so much dirt and grime that the terminals were shorted out. Once clean, it again performed flawlessly.

I have an 036 that had the same problem. Cleaning the carb didn't help. I put a carb kit in it, and the problem was solved.

Tony

Back