Stihl MS660 or 066

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

250R

ArboristSite Operative
I have a chance to buy 1of these saws. Both in VG condition. I need some help with this. I plan on using a 36" bar. Are both saws basically the same in performance? Will I notice a difference?

Justsaws

Justsaws

Addicted to ArboristSite
The early models felt lighter, smaller, a bit more angry at nature in general. They also might have a good bit more use on them and certain parts are getting hard to find. The later models could have less use on them, feel a bit chunky and some were kind of weak power-wise, perhaps miffed instead of angry, still a 90cc saw just more polite. Both will do a 36” bar, most folks would not notice the difference between a 066 and a 660 powerwise.

Late model parts are a plenty in both OEM and aftermarket. The AM parts are everywhere on 660s,I see very few used 660s that do not have AM parts installed these days.

Tom82

Tom82

ArboristSite Operative
I know you said 066 vs 660 but, if it's a late model 066 it's the same saw as a 660.

The early flat top 066 is pre regulations, is physically smaller and makes the same power or more.

All of the 066/660's are the same same bore, stroke, and CC.

Latest posts