Stihl muffler modding.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SoopermanLuva

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Good evening, gentlemen!
Decided to do a muffler mod on that 036 I'm working on. Since I don't have the necessary welding equipment (only a stick welder and I'm not comfortable welding thin metal. It's going to look terrible.) I came up with a different system. I'm using a pipe fitting that I machined sleeves for to make it fit. The hole in the muffler cover is a standard 1/2. That gives me the option to change it out for a bigger size if I need it. Did the first pipe today and going to replace the stock pipe with another one like it with an enlarged hole. I want to have the larger pipe in the back. Maybe not the best location with all the chips flying around, but that little pipe just looks better here. Should I want to decrease the size of the opening or go more or less stock, I can just thread a plug on the inside of the muffler. I decided to go for slightly more than double the stock pipe size. The baffle still needs another hole or two as well. What do you guys think?
IMG_20171201_222727.jpg IMG_20171201_222901.jpg

Is there anything blocking the nut from getting sucked into the exhaust port if it comes loose. I see its got loctite on it but in my mind I see the worst case scenario. Quick Google search shows red loctite good to 450* and a saw muffler in a big cut at the same temp or a bit higher. Maybe I'm over thinking it due to lack of sleep.

Is there anything blocking the nut from getting sucked into the exhaust port if it comes loose. I see its got loctite on it but in my mind I see the worst case scenario. Quick Google search shows red loctite good to 450* and a saw muffler in a big cut at the same temp or a bit higher. Maybe I'm over thinking it due to lack of sleep.
Thanks for the input! The baffle is still inside and holes in it are much smaller than the nut. It's not Loctite, but a different sealant that's supposed to be good for up to 650 F. They do make an extremely high temp epoxy, but I don't want it to be a permanent connection just yet.

Installed the second pipe today. I also advanced the ignition by about 10 degrees. The difference in throttle response and spin up time is very noticeable. Did a cold start after modding and it took 3 pulls to get running at around 30 F outside now. Painting the covers is next. Found out that something apparently got into the cylinder and the piston is now scratched at the exhaust. Hopefully it's out now, whatever it was. Not the most pleasant thing to see on a new top end.

Attachments

• IMG_20171205_025326.jpg
    IMG_20171205_025326.jpg
    4.7 MB · Views: 40
Could have been a metal shaving from the muffler.
I noticed it yesterday when I took off the muffler before working on it and made sure to really clean it before reinstalling. I'm guessing it's a little piece of the flywheel side crank seal. It apparently hasn't been replaced in about 20 years and it got a little messy, because this thing was baked in there pretty good. I was under the impression that I cleaned it well and put a magnet inside to collect possible small debris. Maybe I didn't do a good enough job at that.
So far it doesn't seem to affect performance and the bearings didn't take a hit. I did flush them out. But yeah, lesson learned.

You need to post a video with sound.
Finally did it. Had a chinese top end in there on this, just went out to test. So the chain is pretty dull, the wood is pretty frozen and the mic doesn't really pick up the sound, but you get an idea of what this thing is like.:) I also have created a thread on that top end. Miraculous things happen to them.:chainsaw:

Latest posts

Back