Stihl vs Husqvana

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Brett I'm going to have to disagree with you at this time
What did I say now :laugh:.
Tim and I are both here in Michigan, but we are an hr and half away from each other lol.
As you likely know, with long bars, some 462's cases were cracking around the studs. The 2021 saws were strengthened in that area, along with other improvements.
And they probably never updated the weight.

The first generation 550xp is the nicest handling and performing 50cc saw I've ever hand my hands on.

I will never let my 346 or 353 go, pinnacle of 50cc saw design IMHO.
I still have a NE346xp, this one has never touched wood. Dealer fueled and fired. I took it home trimmed limiters, dumped dealer fuel and refilled with Truefuel, started, emptied and ran dry, bought a 353 orange clutch cover for it (still have the unused silver one also), cased and shelved since 2010. Might be worth something someday. NFS yet.

I still have a NE346xp, this one has never touched wood. Dealer fueled and fired. I took it home trimmed limiters, dumped dealer fuel and refilled with Truefuel, started, emptied and ran dry, bought a 353 orange clutch cover for it (still have the unused silver one also), cased and shelved since 2010. Might be worth something someday. NFS yet.
Everything's for sale for the right money. Sell me that saw, right now! .......Kind, sir. :D
I'll even throw in a farting 550 for free lol.

Send me a pm with the "something" you hope it might be worth one day, would you? You never know, that one day could already be here. ;)

I will be using it in my Alaskan style mill as well as as a ground saw. I do love the classic old AV’s and I think they would be good in the mill but I’m not getting any younger and those saws are heavy. I seem to be hearing a lot of positive reviews of the 500i but there aren’t any used ones for sale. I don’t have the $2000 to spend on a saw.
I always like outboard clutches for milling. 395 would be my choice.

I don’t think my 395 feels any heavier at all compared to my 390.

What about Stihl's MS 260 compared to Husky 550? I wonder if I should toss my fart can 550 on the bay and go with stihls 50cc for a nice limbing saw? Would that one make me smile like the old 346 xp did? I doesn't have to be powerful. I grab the 372xp w/ 20" just as soon as the wood reaches anything over 8" or so to get the job done.
Do they have any issues with their "auto tune" whatever they call it? Man, I wish I could go back in time to slap myself, for not buying at least two 346xp's. Just didn't know the predecessor was gunna be a dud. I see though they make "NE" version like they did the 346, they call it something else now, "Mark 2" but 2nd edition either way. I wonder if they fixed it? This fart can makes me so mad that I don't want to support husky's 50cc now lol. I'm holding a grudge, I hate my 550 so bad lol.
I love my 550… what don’t you like about yours?

I always like outboard clutches for milling. 395 would be my choice.

I don’t think my 395 feels any heavier at all compared to my 390.
The 395 is fine if you don't have to swing it around, but she's a heavy girl. Need to get weights with the tanks full.
32ee637136eaf74aa9dd95514815eb0e.jpg
c54620d15434c1c4c2a0a1601a403a65.jpg

I love my 550… what don’t you like about yours?
It's great while it's running. Set it down and leave it for 10-15 mins you can't just restart it and start cutting. You can pull all day, it wont start unless you choke it again. Most of the times it will restart, but sometimes flood and require WOT pull, either way, once you're 5 seconds now in to restart it, you can't touch the throttle for a good 15 to 20 seconds or it will stall if you so much as look at it funny. After those total 20 to 25 seconds of restarting and waiting for it to figure out doing whatever it's figuring out, then it runs great and will run great until you run it out of fuel and even then, if you can start it right back up and keep cutting, it will keep running great. You can't just grab it after it's been sitting and start cutting. If you do it will just bog, fart and stall. It forces you to stand there, remember the old saw you had before it and invision yourself already making several cuts before it allows you to do anything. Once ready again, it's fine and acts like an old 346xp at that point forward.........Until you set it down and leave it for another 10-15 mins then it's the same exact thing all over again. Been this way since brand new.

Lol, I actually mostly agree with him. The 395 balances really well, so it feels good in the hands. Now when you start felling with the beast, you really do feel the weight.
I use it to mill, buck big stuff and stump. I agree here, that extra pound or so over the 390 for felling…. Even the big stuff, I use the 390. I think the bigger chassis and the nice balance makes the 395 feel lighter than it is most of the time, despite the scales.

It's great while it's running. Set it down and leave it for 10-15 mins you can't just restart it and start cutting. You can pull all day, it wont start unless you choke it again. Most of the times it will restart, but sometimes flood and require WOT pull, either way, once you're 5 seconds now in to restart it, you can't touch the throttle for a good 15 to 20 seconds or it will stall if you so much as look at it funny. After those total 20 to 25 seconds of restarting and waiting for it to figure out doing whatever it's figuring out, then it runs great and will run great until you run it out of fuel and even then, if you can start it right back up and keep cutting, it will keep running great. You can't just grab it after it's been sitting and start cutting. If you do it will just bog, fart and stall. It forces you to stand there, remember the old saw you had before it and invision yourself already making several cuts before it allows you to do anything. Once ready again, it's fine and acts like an old 346xp at that point forward.........Until you set it down and leave it for another 10-15 mins then it's the same exact thing all over again. Been this way since brand new.
That sucks, mine has always been right on the money. I’ve heard some are good and some are bad, and that’s just shame on husky as much as I love them.

That sucks, mine has always been right on the money. I’ve heard some are good and some are bad, and that’s just shame on husky as much as I love them.
Yeah, well I researched it a while back and that's when I realized I was far from being alone and compared to other stories, mine ran awesome! hahaha So I've just accepted it. At least mine runs great once you get it running. Others have been far less fortunate.
I dunno, I saw a youtube video where someones claim to have found a "hidden screw" on the carb somewhere, and if you turn that a 1/4 turn, I forget which way, he claims it cures the issue. I don't work on my own saws, so who knows about that story.
I'm not interested in becoming a chainsaw tuner or anything. I always bought husky saws because all I ever had to do was put gas and oil in and pull the cord. Probably take them to a shop to have then re-tuned like twice during their life cycle.

Yeah, well I researched it a while back and that's when I realized I was far from being alone and compared to other stories, mine ran awesome! hahaha So I've just accepted it. At least mine runs great once you get it running. Others have been far less fortunate.
I dunno, I saw a youtube video where someones claim to have found a "hidden screw" on the carb somewhere, and if you turn that a 1/4 turn, I forget which way, he claims it cures the issue. I don't work on my own saws, so who knows about that story.
I'm not interested in becoming a chainsaw tuner or anything. I always bought husky saws because all I ever had to do was put gas and oil in and pull the cord. Probably take them to a shop to have then re-tuned like twice during their life cycle.
I’m like you, other than minor stuff I’m not a saw tech I just run them.

Latest posts

Back