Stihl vs Husqvana

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
To get back to the OPs question, I only threw the 395 in the discussion for the outboard clutch and torque since he me

Otherwise, between the 660 and 592 I would say as long as the Stihl is still old school carb I would go with the Stihl. I actually like Mtronic and Autotune saws but 100% prefer the fuel dump of a good old carb for milling.

is the 660 or 661 still carb? I don’t know Stihl saws too well.

To get back to the OPs question, I only threw the 395 in the discussion for the outboard clutch and torque since he me

Otherwise, between the 660 and 592 I would say as long as the Stihl is still old school carb I would go with the Stihl. I actually like Mtronic and Autotune saws but 100% prefer the fuel dump of a good old carb for milling.

is the 660 or 661 still carb? I don’t know Stihl saws too well.
Pretty sure the 660 is carb and 661 is m-tronic, correct me if I’m wrong, but I’m pretty sure the 661 is basically the new modern version of the 660, just like how the 660 replaced the 066 when it came out

The 661 is a totally new saw and has little in common with the 660.

The 661 is offered with Mtronic or without. That wasn't always the case, the standard carb version has only been available for a year or so.
This is good to know. I like Stihl but I was writing them off thinking they were going full m-tronic on everything. Husqy is no different, I guess. They’ve still got some hold-overs from past generations.

What about Stihl's MS 260 compared to Husky 550? I wonder if I should toss my fart can 550 on the bay and go with stihls 50cc for a nice limbing saw? Would that one make me smile like the old 346 xp did? I doesn't have to be powerful. I grab the 372xp w/ 20" just as soon as the wood reaches anything over 8" or so to get the job done.
Do they have any issues with their "auto tune" whatever they call it? Man, I wish I could go back in time to slap myself, for not buying at least two 346xp's. Just didn't know the predecessor was gunna be a dud. I see though they make "NE" version like they did the 346, they call it something else now, "Mark 2" but 2nd edition either way. I wonder if they fixed it? This fart can makes me so mad that I don't want to support husky's 50cc now lol. I'm holding a grudge, I hate my 550 so bad lol.
The 260 has always been a dog. A very reliable dog mind you once you have an adjustable carb on it. However its not in the same league as a 346 and definitely not in the same league as a 550xp.

This is good to know. I like Stihl but I was writing them off thinking they were going full m-tronic on everything. Husqy is no different, I guess. They’ve still got some hold-overs from past generations.
Autotune and Mtronic are nothing to worry about. They have the bugs worked out of them and are of great benefit to the majority of people. The average guy can't tune a carb to save their lives.

Autotune and Mtronic are nothing to worry about. They have the bugs worked out of them and are of great benefit to the majority of people. The average guy can't tune a carb to save their lives.
No but how often did we have too? I'd go years between tune ups from a shop and when it did need a tune, it was just a few bucks.

No but how often did we have too? I'd go years between tune ups from a shop and when it did need a tune, it was just a few bucks.
If your happy with a saw that runs like crap and you live in a climate with little temperature variation or altitude change between where youbuse the saw you might get away without tuning all year.
Make no mistake if you want your saw to run at peak levels your tuning alot more often.
The other thing is guys get all bent out of shape about the leaning effect of running a 32:1 oil ratio over 50:1, but don't realise a 20 degree change in temperature has a much larger effect.

If your happy with a saw that runs like crap and you live in a climate with little temperature variation or altitude change between where youbuse the saw you might get away without tuning all year.
Make no mistake if you want your saw to run at peak levels your tuning alot more often.
The other thing is guys get all bent out of shape about the leaning effect of running a 32:1 oil ratio over 50:1, but don't realise a 20 degree change in temperature has a much larger effect.
Very true! RPM change with the weather. I don’t tune every outing but it’s easy enough, I’ll do it regularly, and there’s usually some deviation.

Very true! RPM change with the weather. I don’t tune every outing but it’s easy enough, I’ll do it regularly, and there’s usually some deviation.
I always spend some time with a new saw testing what no load RPM it prefers for max cut speed. Record number and then set it to that prior to cutting each day.
When I logged in Upper MI I might be cutting in 80 degrees one month and below zero a few months latter. Not tuning the saw in those circumstances will net a crappy running saw at best and a burnt up one at worst.
Same story where I live now in Montana. One day I might be cutting fire wood at 9000 feet of elevation and a week latter at 2500 feet.

Years back I walked in a shop and asked to have my saw tuned. They asked what's it doing (like they also do) and I said nothing, I thought I'd just have you check it out to makse sure its still in tune. They sent me out the door with the saw and thought I was crazy for asking to have a perfectly fine running saw tuned without any issues. I never bothered again and only take them in when I notice them acting up.

Oh my 550 (first gen) is just a fart can. I've already hijacked enough threads complaining about it lol. I'll try another dealer. Back pre-auto tune, I would have walked out of the shop and had my 346 running like a top again though, just saying. ;)

I always spend some time with a new saw testing what no load RPM it prefers for max cut speed. Record number and then set it to that prior to cutting each day.
When I logged in Upper MI I might be cutting in 80 degrees one month and below zero a few months latter. Not tuning the saw in those circumstances will net a crappy running saw at best and a burnt up one at worst.
Same story where I live now in Montana. One day I might be cutting fire wood at 9000 feet of elevation and a week latter at 2500 feet.
Agree! Where in Montana? I lived in Columbia Falls for a spell.

Years back I walked in a shop and asked to have my saw tuned. They asked what's it doing (like they also do) and I said nothing, I thought I'd just have you check it out to makse sure its still in tune. They sent me out the door with the saw and thought I was crazy for asking to have a perfectly fine running saw tuned without any issues. I never bothered again and only take them in when I notice them acting up.

Oh my 550 (first gen) is just a fart can. I've already hijacked enough threads complaining about it lol. I'll try another dealer. Back pre-auto tune, I would have walked out of the shop and had my 346 running like a top again though, just saying. ;)
Like I said, the quality of people is plummeting and that means knowledgeable techs. Scary thing is, these guys are even better than the pendejos that will be repairing auto tunes in 10 years. No thanks.

The first gen 550xp was a lemon from all accounts. I wouldnt blame that on autontune either.
The 346xp on the other hand was the pinnacle of small saws IMO. I've ran the snot out of several and my only complaint is they all leaked oil like a sieve.

Latest posts

Back