Stihlmans Wood,Tree cutting ramblings...........

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Old style air filter on a new model 880 what a joke.

Yep. That's why Stihl started fitting the older Extreme Conditions Filter Kits under warranty a while ago prior to the HD2 coming on board. There were a lot of MS880 failures due to dust ingression like in your photos.
People that say wood dust can't hurt saws need to do more cutting in Redgum :)

Old style air filter on a new model 880 what a joke.

attachment.php

not sure I see a problem would not fine red gum wood dust burn hot and well add power :msp_w00t:

well i have some good news for you Andrew the stihl rep cam into work and i was chatting to him about the 661 he said that it should hit the shelf's in November / December
and my HD2 filter on my new 461 died the glue fell apart
nice job on the redgum

It's a shame you aren't milling those mate :(
Do you think NZ customs will let you in with your saws for a week next Summer? Max about 1.5m wide but most about 1m...at this stage, subject to expansion between now and then if I'm lucky as more wood scores are made. Wood is still standing or I've done the cut and run routine with owners blessing provided I finish them off next Summer.

Ran out of $ this Summer to set up a CS mill and get into them. Gutted about that.

well i have some good news for you Andrew the stihl rep cam into work and i was chatting to him about the 661 he said that it should hit the shelf's in November / December
and my HD2 filter on my new 461 died the glue fell apart
nice job on the redgum

Don't tell Andrew, now he will get a new 661 and try flogging off his old big bore unit to some unsuspecting member :msp_unsure:

I have never seen dust get by a filter like that. Incredible. You Aussies sure have the mean elements for chainsaw. One would think Stihl would have a testing facility in Australia, passes there should pass anywhere.

Great pics and vid.

not sure I see a problem would not fine red gum wood dust burn hot and well add power :msp_w00t:

I've heard it can increase octane by 5 points.

Do you think NZ customs will let you in with your saws for a week next Summer? Max about 1.5m wide but most about 1m...at this stage, subject to expansion between now and then if I'm lucky as more wood scores are made. Wood is still standing or I've done the cut and run routine with owners blessing provided I finish them off next Summer.

Ran out of $ this Summer to set up a CS mill and get into them. Gutted about that.

I doubt they'd let me in mate. Probably tell me that some dude called Tony has already chopped everything up.

I have never seen dust get by a filter like that. Incredible. You Aussies sure have the mean elements for chainsaw. One would think Stihl would have a testing facility in Australia, passes there should pass anywhere.

Redgum dust is the worst :) You may remember a few years ago now where a few of us Aussies were in continuous arguments with some of the US members that doubted our wood dust was going straight through the element material itself. I can't remember how many times I was told to sharpen my chain and grease around the filter base. Stihl do a lot of testing here and unlike Husqvarna actually give half an arse about dust ingression in their saws. Dolmar are the only other manufacturer apart from Stihl's HD2 that have a filter that will stop this stuff without being oiled.

You've got to love how these big gums end up all gnarly when they are out on their own in a paddock with no competition for sunlight.
You won't see this sort of variation in a pine tree.
Same deal down through the Barossa Valley in SA. Probably the only trees I've ever looked at and haven't thought of how I'd cut them down :D

It is hollow and there is NO cutting standing green trees on this property.:msp_smile:

MAAATTEE, come on, just chuck a few chunks of dead logs at the base, light er up like some of your other photos and Bobs yer uncle, she will be dead in no time, or look like it.
Then get the 880 into it.
No probs , just think outside the square mate

Ya mate its a crime to even think about felling these massive old trees,there is plenty of fallen branches to keep me going and some of them are on the large size.We got 4mtrs out of one branch that had fallen off today.

Ya mate its a crime to even think about felling these massive old trees,there is plenty of fallen branches to keep me going and some of them are on the large size.We got 4mtrs out of one branch that had fallen off today.

Yeah, my sister has a tree at her 5 acre shack in Tassie that is huge and kind of wind blow from the 9 mile beach.
My brother in law wanted to cut it down but I ended up climbing it ( some years ago )and removing the large dead limbs where his kids had their play swings underneath.
Was a shame to remove it.
A nice feature it is now.

Back