Stihl's Big Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yep I love my old 066, dual port muffler, bone stock that it is--about the only stock saw I run. I only use it with a 36 inch bar.

So I don't break out the Greffardized 3120 all that often, but when I do, there ain't nothin' that'll slow it down! I never use the 36 inch bar for it, only the 42 and 60.

However, my Walkerized 372 gets the most use...and a PP Dolmar 7900 is being readied by the man, Dan!! And I'm sending him my new 346, so that my Greffardized 346 can have company.

Another factor to ponder on is the expense of running an 088. There is nothing cheap with an 88 when comes time for bars and chains, not to mention the fuel mix it loves to suck down.

If you have to work one or the other on an all day basis, Id rather wrestle with the 66 instead of the 88. You'll know you put in a good day's work with an 88.

Like Jacob said the 088 shines when it comes to 48" and larger material. If you do trees this big on a regular basis then the 88 is the saw for the job, if not then the 66 will get you by just fine and you won't have so much strain on your back.

Sounds like MY thinking. If I can't handle it with a 394, then it stays put. Really big wood doesn't come by that often up here anyways. Most trees don't get much over 30", and maybe 70' in height.

Now, I wont even try comparing the woods in sweden and its trees with the trees in the US, BUT we do have some oaks and beech that'll take some sawing; One oak nearby is at least 8' and I'm talking diameter. I'm bucking a 50" right now with a full comp and 28" on a 385XP and it shoves chips... I'd say it would run a 36" bar too in oak. With a opened muffler it should overtake the 395 quite easily. Plus, I believe the air injection works far better than the intellicarb. An other plus over the 395 is of course the weight.

/Ola

Whatever, but I still stand by the fact that there aint no replacement for displacement. My suggestion is to not bring your 5 or 6 cube saw to a 7+ cube show; wether falling, bucking or racing. Unless of course you have KD346...then the playing field changes a bit.

An 066 or MS660 M with a 24inch bar will kill lengthwise cuts "bar parallel with the grain ".

I knocked two cords under an hour. Just watch for the clogging, as even a green chain will spit if you push it.

Request a Gypo test. That 346 should rippem up, let us know. If he can lay off the chicks for a time.....

Sure, displacement's good when making a few cuts and you wont have to deal with encumberance; Bring the predator to the woods and see how many cuts you make in day ;)

Sure, displacement's good when making a few cuts and you wont have to deal with encumberance; Bring the predator to the woods and see how many cuts you make in day ;)

Really big stuff

That is why I brought the smaller saw ie:KD346 into the fray and not my large unlimited. You asked the question and you got an opinion. Each saw has thier own attributes for certain conditions in any givin situation. Your question was "what saw is best for the Really Big stuff" If really big to you is 24" then I also would go with the 066 but things change a bit when you have to use a 60" bar. But then all of us west coast loggers have 24" biceps also.

I wish all us west coasters had 24" biceps, then I'd have an excuse to get that tattoo of a bulldog sitting on an 066 powerhead that I've alwasy wanted. Actually, west coast cutters are a rangy, wiry, mangy lot, because there is no big wood anymore. Once in a great while we'll run into something that requires a 42" bar but that's rare. I've only broken out the 60" bar 5 times in 13 years.

Did someone say 24" biceps? This guy won't do, he's 28".

g_LarmDBCurl2.jpg

That is why

Might be going bald.

Arnold the governor elect had to get heart surgery from working out so much.

There is still some big wood out here on the west coast. Unless all those ???? beattles don't eat it up first.. or those firestorms. I know allot of people who lost orchards, barns, livestock, homes etc. THe news really did a piss poor job and showing all the distruction. Avocadoes were suppose to get harvested in November.

I would be suprised if there is no reform to clearing out some of the old growth.

Especially when they won't insure your property if it is in a forest that has not been cleaned up.

If you want to cut big wood go get a permit to cut in a national forest. Don't cost much around here.

And back to the 28" biceps for a minute....

What happens when that guy is 70 yrs old? Are those things going to flop to the sides like the ears on a hound dog? The babes will love that. ;)

And best big saws...

066/660M (based on my experience) or a 385 (based on the experiences of others here).

Hey MB, when are you gonna get with the program and quit postin' those stupid ass Hulk photos!!! This thread is about big saws......not.......big steroid driven muscles!

Latest posts

Back