Still Burning?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spike60

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Here in the Northeast it seems like winter just doesn't want to go away. We had 5 nights in a row that it went down to 20 this week. Normally by this time of year burning starts to get sporadic, but we are still burning consistantly. Everyone around here seems to have used a good deal more wood than usual this year, and a lot of people who don't cut beyond the current season are running out. (I'm one of those anal guys who already has next years wood cut) We've had people taking the pallets and crate wood from the Exmarks and Cub tractors, (which is a big help to us at this time of year). Others are doing a little scrounging and cutting some dead wood now that the snow cover is gone. As far as buying wood goes, there isn't much, if any, seasoned wood for sale, so people who buy their wood are buring green stuff. In addition to the dragged out winter, the fact that heating oil has eclipsed the $4 mark has certainly contributed to higher wood usage.

So, how are you guys doing with wood supplies/usage in other areas?

I am still burning every night. It is warming up here in PA during the day, nut like you said, it is still cold at night.
I have about three years worth split and stacked, with about one more years supply cut and waiting to be split.
I am currently trying to burn up all of the odd shaped pieces that have to be piled together( because they are hard to stack. ) and dead fall.

I'm still burning every day in Maine. I'm down too my last row at the moment which should see me through April, but the last few days I'd begun splitting some of next years that's out back in quarters and rounds.

Don't get me going on the heating oil :angry2: cause I'll start to flame out! It's truely disgusting and guess what? It's gonna get worse. Up where I live, there are going to be people who will have to choose heat over food or medicine if heating oil is anywhere near $4 next winter. I signed up for "the Budget Plan" which had a $2.59 cap on it. Before the heating season even started, we were above that and I'm sure whomever came up with that figure got fired!
My furnace comes on about 2am-6am on cold nights till I can light the stoves, so I haven't used all that much but I already have plans too install, or rather re-install a large wood heater that I had removed a few years ago due too the fact that it shared a flue with the oil furnace. (a no, no). That heater would burn through the night. I'll have too install it with it's own liner but that's what I'll do rather than pay $4 a gal for oil. :angry2:

I'm running the stove only at night here in central MA. Nights have been in the mid to lower 20s. Daytime highs are enough that the residual heat from the stove, plus the sun being higher in the sky, keeps the house warm during the day.

I go through a lot more kindling now since I'm lighting the stove every night. Fortunately there's a lot of construction sites with piles of scrap 2x4's that they are more than happy to get rid of. A few sticks of pine makes good a good fire starter.

I've probably burned 7 cords so far, maybe 8. It's hard to tell now since after the 6th cord I'm now pulling the wood off a big pile that was supposed to be for the 2008-2009 season.

Im still at it. Im looking out the window to another skiff of snow here in northwest nebraska. Looks like its gonna be in the teens a couple more nights. This winter doesnt want to go away here either.:dizzy:

Here in the Northeast it seems like winter just doesn't want to go away. We had 5 nights in a row that it went down to 20 this week. Normally by this time of year burning starts to get sporadic, but we are still burning consistantly. Everyone around here seems to have used a good deal more wood than usual this year, and a lot of people who don't cut beyond the current season are running out. (I'm one of those anal guys who already has next years wood cut) We've had people taking the pallets and crate wood from the Exmarks and Cub tractors, (which is a big help to us at this time of year). Others are doing a little scrounging and cutting some dead wood now that the snow cover is gone. As far as buying wood goes, there isn't much, if any, seasoned wood for sale, so people who buy their wood are buring green stuff. In addition to the dragged out winter, the fact that heating oil has eclipsed the $4 mark has certainly contributed to higher wood usage.

So, how are you guys doing with wood supplies/usage in other areas?

Yup, sounds like us. I let the wood pile at home go down and now its too muddy to get back to the dry wood at the farm so we are buring green as grass frsh cut live Maple because its all we can get at to cut.

Just threw the last of my wood in this morning. The pallets will be next. There's enough snow gone now so I can probably head into the woods this weekend to scrounge enough to get through the rest of the cold weather. My LP tank is still sitting at 75% and I intend to keep it that way. If it is too muddy in the woods I'm eyeballing the oak kitchen set. :Eye: :laugh:

Yeah still burning here too. Looks like I will be burning another month to make sure my propane makes it to June or July, when hopefully the price comes down again.

Since I didnt get my OWB in until Dec I have been burning a mix of seasoned and green wood all winter, with my only complaint being quite a bit of ash. It has been down into the 20's every night , with no hope of seeing a 50 degree day until the middle of next week at the earliest. Keep warm boys:cheers:

We had a couple of inches of new snow last night and it is only in the 30's and spitting snow this afternoon. Youy bet we're still burning, but just about out of the 6 full cords that I started the season with. All the wood that I cut this winter so far is still too green to burn.

I've only been burning wood for two years but burned more this year than last.(about four cord now) I'm burning only sporadically at this point but had to break into next years supply a couple days ago.

Defiantly an odd year, I had an inch of snow and more falling when I left home this morning. I live at 1,000' about ten miles north east of Portland Oregon where it normally doesn't snow after mid to late February. :dizzy:

I am still burning occasionally, I have it going now as a matter of fact, only because it is cold and rainy here...there was a chill in the house.

Only burning weekend early mornings now if needed.

Spring is here!

:) :givebeer:

i'm still burning at night.

it was kind of warm during the day until today.will probably burn through the weekend and on and off for a couple more weeks.

Just cleaned up the last of the oak from a couple of years ago. Brought up the last of the maple from last spring I was saving for march. From now own it is into red elm and honeylocust because everything else isn't seasoned enough.

Off to cut up a fencerows worth of trees this weekend. Already brought down whith an excavator just need to buck up. Mostly ash and mulberry. Should be some pretty decent stuff.

Don

I am still burning every day. I have been splitting rounds from a dead elm tree I cut a while ago to cover what we are currently using. I haven't had to dip into 2009 wood yet or use any green wood.

Got warm a couple days ago. We let the stove go out. Little cooler out today so we fired it back up! We have a LP furnace and cook stove. Feb. 14 our LP company came by for our " auto fill " Well, the ticket said 70%!!! We were filled April 22, 2007. We have a 500 underground tank. So, ...... our jotul 600 is doing a pretty good job! After splitting some wood and bringing in 2 loads today, I took a little nap on the couch in front of the stove in the basement! Can't beat that wood heat!!! LZ

LIke Zodiac this is a winter without end. It will be 'til June before the stoves are out....serious.:cry: We wood scroungers usually do the woodpile dance with enough left over for next year. This year we're into the 6 cord rows. All next winter's butts are waiting for goodbody to split and stack.
Will we have to go into next winter's stash?
Will AlGore run again, or is he not coming down for breakfast ? :chainsaw: Will this political campaign never end ? :angry2: SIX MORE MONTHS

Heck ...There's still over a foot of snow in the woods here! I do belive the OWB will be cooking to the end of may at the earliest!:rolleyes:

It's 22 degrees here this morning, and it's supposed to go down to 15 tonight, so I'll be burning all weekend.

Technically, I should be into next years pile, but I did some cutting last weekend and scrounged up some good stuff. It was as much to finally get out in the woods and play with some saws as to scrounge some wood. But now out of shear stubborness, I'm going to cut some more this weekend to get me through the season without touching next years stack. But either way, I know that I will have burned more this year than any other that I remember.

Not that I want to get Zodiak going, but with this extended heating season, people are exceeding their pre-buy quanity of oil. My parents got a delivery this week. Their pre-buy price was $2.84, but the portion that went above the pre-buy was $4.09. If the whole delivery was at that price, it would have been over $1000 to fill the tank. That's insane.

I have a lot of fun here on the site. It's kind of a double hobby with the saws being one, plus I enjoy the whole firewood deal. But as much as I enjoy it, I recognize that it's a good thing that I have the wood heat option.

Back