straight dieseled a chainsaw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sawlog1992

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Today I screwed up and poured diesel fuel in my Husqvarna 350 (better that straight gas I presume). The saw idled and poured white smoke, but would die when I tried to rev it. Finally I poured out the tank and found my issue.

Question is- should I do anything special before I try to crank it with the proper gasoline mix?

I believe that saw has a primer bulb. If it does use the bulb and get all the diesel out of the carb. Then rinse out the tank with gas mix and remove the filter and use compressed air if available to blow it out. Then refill the tank with mix and go to pulling.
I did this a few years back with my four wheeler and it took a tank of gas or more to get all the diesel out. Tom

Just fill it up an go, as long as it still idled get it started an let the saw do the work once you can rev it up it will be fine. The saw might not be 100% for a tank but it will not be enough to make a difference.

Got it cranked

Swished a little mix around and dumped it out, then pulled and pulled and pulled.... after a few false starts and a lot more smoke, she is running again. thanks for the replies. Sometimes I find it is better to ask before i screw it up worse.

Don't feel bad. One of our landing rats filled a saw with hydraulic fluid...and then raised hell with me because it wouldn't start.

He had to buy the coffee and donuts the next morning. :msp_biggrin:

Don't feel bad. One of our landing rats filled a saw with hydraulic fluid...and then raised hell with me because it wouldn't start.

He had to buy the coffee and donuts the next morning. :msp_biggrin:

I've always wondered what happened to Dave when the Rygaard's gave him a pink slip!

Well, like most of my follies, the entire story would begin with "I was in a hurry and..."

This one could have that phrase in it several times. Like " I was in a hurry and grabbed the wrong can when I went to mix gas last week, and then I was in a hurry and poured the mixed gas into the right can when the truck ran out of fuel on Sunday, and then I was in a hurry to get a load cut today and forgot I had put diesel in the can that I had mixed gas in when I was in a hurry because the truck ran out of fuel".

Well, like most of my follies, the entire story would begin with "I was in a hurry and..."

This one could have that phrase in it several times. Like " I was in a hurry and grabbed the wrong can when I went to mix gas last week, and then I was in a hurry and poured the mixed gas into the right can when the truck ran out of fuel on Sunday, and then I was in a hurry to get a load cut today and forgot I had put diesel in the can that I had mixed gas in when I was in a hurry because the truck ran out of fuel".

Seems like most of the time when I get in a big hurry, it ends up taking a LOT longer to fix what got screwed up.

Man, don't wish that guy off on me. I get enough entertainment just the way things are now. :D

i know about 90% of gabes crew ,daves the one guy i havent met yet ..........but im ok with that ........his mechanic daves a great wrench dont get the 2 confused

I've had a few things straight dieseled :D. Had one greenhorn fill the hydraulic tank plum to the top on a pc228 excavator....I got in it and said, ''I though you fueled this up.'' He said, ''I did.'' I though ''o hell,'' I knew exactly what he had done before I even looked. That was probably the worst one though.....

It happens, I once pumped what I thought was 5qts of 10w30 into a Cadillac.

I went to go "zoom" it, sounded kinda funny.

I learned to always check to make sure the senior tech hasn't switched the pump over to Gal.'s

I also learned that our wheeled oil catch cans don't hold 5 Gal. of oil.

Diesel fuel won't hurt a two cycle engine. It has too much lubricity and probably carries more lubrication than a rich pre-mix.

Ever wonder why diesel engines last so long? Other than being heavily built, it has a lot to do with the fuel providing lubrication along with the oil in the sump.

Diesel fuel won't hurt a two cycle engine. It has too much lubricity and probably carries more lubrication than a rich pre-mix.

Ever wonder why diesel engines last so long? Other than being heavily built, it has a lot to do with the fuel providing lubrication along with the oil in the sump.

The new Ultra Low Sulfer Diesel doesn't have near the lubricity of the old 500PPM stuff.

One reason diesels last longer is they turn a lot less RPMs.

Man, don't wish that guy off on me. I get enough entertainment just the way things are now. :D

I'll never forget when they once sent his lunchbox down on a choker with a blasting cap attached! Funny stuff.

Most of my "O Craps" start out with hold my beer and watch this.....you are lucky. You should be ok as the saw wouldn't run long enough on diesel to hurt anything "I THINK".

-If you put kerosene into your 2-stroke chainsaw engine....you won't burn it up, but you WILL foul the plug. Kerosene has NO octane rating at all, it is "0", and as such introduced into a typical two or four-stroke gasoline engine it will idle, but anything more will produce massive overheating and little power.

There is actually a company that converts 2 stroke engines from glow to diesel:

http://www.davisdieseldevelopment.com/

Fascinating stuff, I'm sure it is possible to build a diesel chainsaw. The model airplane people are building two-stroke diesels, and the quarter scale planes are usually Quadra or Zenoah engines, chainsaw based. For the diesel, you'll need an electric starter from a model airplane though; You'll never start this just by pulling the cord.

Last edited:
Back