Stump removal Water Oak 24" diameter

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

schemer

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I cut down a water oak recently so I can put a carport where it was. Originally I was not thinking about pouring concrete so I was not to worried about the stump. Now I decided to put a slab down and the stump must go. :mad: What is the best way to remove a water oak stump without costing too much? I know water oak as firewood needs to be used sooner than later as it doesn't last too long so I am hoping the stump too, is easier to remove because of that. I never used chemicals for stump removal and am guessing it is going to be digging and chopping and cutting and pulling...but just making sure I don't do it the hard way before asking. :D
Thanks

I would pay $100 to get the stump ground with a stump grinder. I hope a support post won't be placed over the stump as you'll have a tap root to contend with. A stump grinder can only grind it down 12 to 18 inches depending upon the machine.

Hope this helps!

I would pay $100 to get the stump ground with a stump grinder. I hope a support post won't be placed over the stump as you'll have a tap root to contend with. A stump grinder can only grind it down 12 to 18 inches depending upon the machine.

Hope this helps!

I am going to put 8 schedule 40 4" pipes in the mono slab for a carport 20x30 in size. I am thinking of just renting an excavator. :) I have seen some work of local tree guys with stump grinders and they barely grind it down to just below ground level. I amy have to call around to see if someone has a bigger better grinder.
Thanks,
schemer

I would try to find a guy with a tow behind stump grinder if the stump can be reached with a truck as the grinder is attached to the truck. Explain the situation to him as the stump needs to be ground as deep as the machine will go.

I would try to find a guy with a tow behind stump grinder if the stump can be reached with a truck as the grinder is attached to the truck. Explain the situation to him as the stump needs to be ground as deep as the machine will go.

Ok, will do. Thanks for the added info. I started trying to dig it out with a shovel...Hahahahaha. :)

Where in the southeast are you? I have many customers who own tow behinds in many states. Let me know and I'll see if I know of anybody in your area that I could recommend.

Florida panhandle near Fort Walton Beach/Crestview/Pensacola.
Thanks

I would look up Ugly John's stump grinding.

Thanks. I am going to buy a Pick Mattock and give it a workout as I am in no hurry. I can lose a few pounds that way too. :) I see roots going everywhere so I may end up with a bigger job than I was expecting to prepare for concrete. I guess I will finish my carport this winter. LOL. I didn't call that guy yet but as soon I get beat and worn out I have the info.

On the Pick Mattock, what is better for a handle? Fiberglass or wood? Any brands or models that are to be avoided or to seek?

http://www.hkmateasiarov.org/water-oak-tree-root-system/

You'll end up with 2% body fat if you're going to take out a 24" stump with a pick (and possibly a coronary).

You're concerned about guys locally grinding shallow? That's because that's all they were paid to do. The customer was probably just putting grass back and didn't want to pay for deep grinding.

This is not a big deal to grind to the bottom of the stump. He may need to make a couple of passes but easily done. If you want to save a couple of bucks, have him leave the mulch and you deal with the disposal. On a larger stump like that, it takes almost as much time to clean up the mulch as it does to do the grinding. As time is money, we would charge the same to remove the mulch as we would to grind the stump.

@BC Wet Coast: Thanks for the info. I will ask the right questions to anybody I call. I am in pretty good shape but definitely don't need to have a coronary although 2% body fat would be nice. :) I will still need to remove all the runners so I will be buying a Pick Mattock. Wood or fiberglass handle??

@ropensaddle: Thanks for the added info and pricing. I will use it to my advantage.

You're really in for a work out. I would use a fiberglass handle and I don't have a recommendation on the name brand. You may want to consider using a pressure washer to remove the dirt around the roots. Once they're exposed, you could use a chainsaw to cut them out.

Good luck!

Thanks. I am going to buy a Pick Mattock and give it a workout as I am in no hurry. I can lose a few pounds that way too. :) I see roots going everywhere so I may end up with a bigger job than I was expecting to prepare for concrete. I guess I will finish my carport this winter. LOL. I didn't call that guy yet but as soon I get beat and worn out I have the info.

On the Pick Mattock, what is better for a handle? Fiberglass or wood? Any brands or models that are to be avoided or to seek?

http://www.hkmateasiarov.org/water-oak-tree-root-system/

I tend to want to avoid all mattocks as much as possible:laughing:

Tell the guy grinding what you are going to build there and have him sweep the area to grind out the roots. Remove all the debris and replace with stone to prep for concrete.
This way you wont have any voids /sinking after the slab is poured.

I once dug a 24" stump out with a case 580 backhoe. With the root ball attached it was now 10 feet wide and 3 foot tall. It only took an hour or so but what really sucked is it was too heavy for the backhoe to lift. We had to roll it around. Took another 3 days building a fire next to it to get it to completely burn up.

I repeat I did that ONCE.......

Good luck

You're really in for a work out. I would use a fiberglass handle and I don't have a recommendation on the name brand. You may want to consider using a pressure washer to remove the dirt around the roots. Once they're exposed, you could use a chainsaw to cut them out.

Good luck!

Thanks for the info. I was thinking fiberglass too even though they break after a while too. I already dug a few roots and have them exposed for the sawzall or chainsaw. I had a stainless steel table next to the tree for some years and the trees roots grew completely around the legs. That is the first piece I am removing. I go one half out yesterday and the second one ready for the saw. I don't have too many choices around here so its either Lowes or Home Depot for the pick Mattock.

I tend to want to avoid all mattocks as much as possible:laughing:

Tell the guy grinding what you are going to build there and have him sweep the area to grind out the roots. Remove all the debris and replace with stone to prep for concrete.
This way you wont have any voids /sinking after the slab is poured.

I once dug a 24" stump out with a case 580 backhoe. With the root ball attached it was now 10 feet wide and 3 foot tall. It only took an hour or so but what really sucked is it was too heavy for the backhoe to lift. We had to roll it around. Took another 3 days building a fire next to it to get it to completely burn up.

I repeat I did that ONCE.......

Good luck

I think you have the right idea as I will need to have the area done right for the slab to avoid any rotting and voids in the future. I measured the stump and it is about 20" diameter so that will make it a little easier. ;) I wasn't sure the operator would want to run the grinder in the sand so I figured maybe a small bobcat backhoe would work. Anyhow, I will most likely work on it a bit until I realize I am wasting my time and then get a machine one form or another. I will watch for any work being done in the nearby areas and maybe get a deal so somebody doesn't have to travel etc. For some reason I though that water oak rotted quick as firewood so I assumed the stump would be easier to remove.
Thanks,
schemer

Call a stump grinder or go rent a backhoe. If you don't do either of those, you must really hate yourself.

Oh I like myself pretty much, but I like my money even more! :numberone: LOL I made some progress today after hosing off all the sand where I previously dug and exposed some "larger than I though they would be", roots. So I will sawzall or chainsaw the section of root out and make more room for more sand while I work on another section, and work my way around the tree. The Mattock isn't all it is cracked up to be though, that's for sure. :laughing:

Coming home today I see a guy unloading a backhoe with a front end loader a block away from my house. I turn around and ask if its a rental etc and he says yes and he has it till Monday. :innocent: So I ask if I can use it if I give him $50-100 towards the rent and he says YES! :drinking: :cheers: :happybanana: I have to move a bunch of stuff and be ready for tomorrow...Otherwise I will just rent the same one as its only $250 and $30 for a trailer. :chop:

Latest posts

Back