Stupid city folk!!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
parts of MT and Vermont are text book examples of this

It's happening throughout New England -- Vermont was where you first saw the effect; it's why New Hampshire is now blue (commuters from MA primarily), it's behind the increasing blueness of Maine. In Connecticut you can see it most clearly in the hill towns of Litchfield County that have moved from solidly Republican to solidly Democrat. A number of the rural towns in northeastern CT likewise are seeing the impact. It's not the "natives" in the rural areas who are changing their political preferences, although some of our politicians pander to the newcomers. While it's been going on for decades, it's only started to tip the control in recent years.

We don't have that problem here. We are a bit more off the beaten path here. Seems most city people are going towards the VT line, or near Lake George.

I am a reformed city boy... gave it up 6 years ago and have never looked back. I'd take a john deere over a blackberry anyday.

It's happening throughout New England -- Vermont was where you first saw the effect; it's why New Hampshire is now blue (commuters from MA primarily), it's behind the increasing blueness of Maine. In Connecticut you can see it most clearly in the hill towns of Litchfield County that have moved from solidly Republican to solidly Democrat. A number of the rural towns in northeastern CT likewise are seeing the impact. It's not the "natives" in the rural areas who are changing their political preferences, although some of our politicians pander to the newcomers. While it's been going on for decades, it's only started to tip the control in recent years.

A bit more complex regarding the NH transformation, but more or less correct.

The parts of the state that are the most solidly Republican, interestingly, are those closest to the commute routed to the Boston area. Many of these folks are tax refugees seeking refuge from high taxes in the Bay State. Plus also attracted by the (relatively) low cost for real estate.

Strange tension there, I think. You get people who leave a place where they don't want to pay high taxes. So they move and then get agitated that the cops won't come to their house at 11pm in response to a call about a fox being in their yard. You want services? Live somewhere where the voters will tax themselves to support them.

That said, no one's ever given me a hard time about my woodpiles. If they did, I'd tell 'em it's a sculpture - an ever-evolving work of public art that encapsulates man's long and complex relationship with the natural environment. And any attempt to make me move/remove it would be an affront to my 1st amentment right to free expression. :)

That said, no one's ever given me a hard time about my woodpiles. If they did, I'd tell 'em it's a sculpture - an ever-evolving work of public art that encapsulates man's long and complex relationship with the natural environment. And any attempt to make me move/remove it would be an affront to my 1st amentment right to free expression. :)

Excellent idea! :clap:

I now see my woodpiles as "installation art." My medium is the tree; my brush is the chainsaw.

15-20 years ago local realators began promoting our county as a retirement community for city folk to retire to. Land was cheap and the taxes were not too bad either. They began selling lots. Then the Amish started a new community here, most from Pennsylvania, and were able to buy 4-5 acres for the price of one where they came from. They drove the price of land way up (for here) and the city folks stopped coming. A lot of locals, (farmers) were not happy with the increase in property values since it made it more difficult to increase farm size, but it certainly helped maintain or enforce traditional rural values. The Amish are good neighbors. They may appear to be a bit standoffish at first, but become very friendly when you make the effort to get to know them.

Thanks for your perspective up there in New Hampshire, Woodbooga.

As for the Amish comment, here's an interesting statistic:

There's 231,000 Amish in the U.S. currently.

And their on track to double that in a little less then 20 years.

If they keep it up, in 35 years they'll be more Amish in America then the current population in any of the six smallest states (Delaware, South Dakota, Alaska, North Dakota, Vermont, or Wyoming), and in 72 years would be bigger the present day Connecticut...

Fascinating blog I like to read once a week or so: http://amishamerica.typepad.com/

Latest posts

Back