Stupid mistake lands me a MS880

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
But has anyone used an 880 with the HD2 filter?

Borrowed these pics from another thread.
180860d1303402022-hd2_02-jpg

180859d1303402018-hd2_03-jpg

180858d1303402014-hd2_01-jpg

So they look cool but do they actually work better. I wonder what the dealer wants for them?

They are made of the same material as the MS261 filter and they appear to work well...

Thanks for the Tip on the filter. I'll get one to try.

Do they seal better than the regular filters. I always thought the weak point is where they touch the carb mount. I was also looking at the max flow filters.

Do they seal better than the regular filters. I always thought the weak point is where they touch the carb mount.
Haven't run an 880, but supposedly the filter is the same as the 066. Weak point is indeed the seal, but only because the filter nut bottoms out on the stud before the seal is tight.

If you are using a hard plastic inner baffle, it can also bottom out on the baffle before the seal is tight.

Use the foam baffle rather than hard plastic. If you are still getting fines past the filter, then the nut is probably bottoming out on the stud. May have to take a raker file to the stud shoulder so you can give the nut another turn. Doesn't take much.

Haven't run an 880, but supposedly the filter is the same as the 066. Weak point is indeed the seal, but only because the filter nut bottoms out on the stud before the seal is tight.

If you are using a hard plastic inner baffle, it can also bottom out on the baffle before the seal is tight.

Use the foam baffle rather than hard plastic. If you are still getting fines past the filter, then the nut is probably bottoming out on the stud. May have to take a raker file to the stud shoulder so you can give the nut another turn. Doesn't take much.

I was putting a washer on top of my filter before I put the cover on and that seemed to help. The problem was keeping track of the washer when I did a filter swap. Adding a thread would be easier.

I don't know what all the fuss is about. I've never had any problem with Stihl HD or max flows pulling in fines. I run max flow 90% of the time, but I don't prefer one over the other.

I think we were talking about the standard filters what ever they are called. Milling produces lots of fines. Most of the time you never really get a full chip. Air filters can get filled pretty quick.

Last edited:
The 3120 the tree service here runs can't keep from having crap get past the filter. I'd rather have a Stihl HD/HD2 filter myself. I just picked up my first HD2 filter Friday. I'll be trying it out this next week. My main beef with the 3120 is the unadjustable carb. There's not room for a H needle with the filter base either.

Hey betterBuilt give me a shout if your arms get tired from cutting firewood with that beast. I would be glad to drive out and give you a hand with it. I have never seen and 880 in person.....

josh

Hey betterBuilt give me a shout if your arms get tired from cutting firewood with that beast. I would be glad to drive out and give you a hand with it. I have never seen and 880 in person.....

josh

Sounds good I'll send you a PM when I get it. I've only seen a few. I've never ran one but it can't be any heavier than my 076. It weighs around 25lbs. I have a friend that I'd like to get his cut so he doesn't have to do a whole lot this year. I hate seeing him cut anymore. I'm afraid he's gonna have a heart attack. The mill is over near the DEC fish hatchery between Bath and Hammondsport.

I bet it wont take much to get ten tanks ran through it.

The 3120 the tree service here runs can't keep from having crap get past the filter. I'd rather have a Stihl HD/HD2 filter myself. I just picked up my first HD2 filter Friday. I'll be trying it out this next week. My main beef with the 3120 is the unadjustable carb. There's not room for a H needle with the filter base either.

Thanks Brad, I didn't know the 3120 wasn't adjustable. I'll get right on ordering that HD2 filter. I doubt I'll get the saw ready to mill this week. Soon. Very soon.

Never had any crap get past the filter in the 3120 but it really does not get used that much. You only drag it out when you need to make a big money cut. Too heavy and clunky to be a “goto” saw but I do like the Exxon Valdez thumb activated oil switch. Should be an option on all chainsaws.

lol yeah it looks like you have that aspect covered. I called on a 088 in syracuse a few weeks ago but the person never picks up and doesnt have a voice mail.

I might have one for sale if it's a big piece of poo. I don't have room for anymore saws that can't put in a day's work.

Last edited:
I might have one for sale if it's a big piece of poo. I don't have room for anymore saws that can't put in a day's work.

Lol so you will sell it to me if its junk..... gee thanks J/K. I dont need one by any means. i just keep my eye out for bigger saws. one day i will get a mill and want a big horse to turn it.

Back