Stupidest Repairs Ever Witnessed!!!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a piece of tin wrapped around one of the spark plug wires on my tahoe.......just can't find the time to replace the exhaust manifold gasket:D

I have a piece of tin wrapped around one of the spark plug wires on my tahoe.......just can't find the time to replace the exhaust manifold gasket:D

Well, get off yer ass and get to work!! :D

I've done my fair share of 'red neck repairs' but they hold well, and aren't crappy like some of you have mentioned.

Some I've seen are coat hangers on car exhausts (typical...)

One thing I found on my own car is that the previous guy that did exhaust work truly did a half ass job... it looked ####ty and only lasted about 8000 miles before the exhaust broke. The moron cut the pipe that was specifically made to bolt up to the muffler on this car, and welded the muffler onto it, hanging it improperly. The widest part of the oval muffler was supposed to be vertical, and he made it horizontal. And used rebar welded to the muffler case for a hanger. That rebar didn't hold for longer than 1000 miles or so. In the end, the improper hanging ended up breaking the inlet side of the muffler completely off.

Hence me and my glass pack now... it sounds good, and probably pisses people off... :hmm3grin2orange:

I work with a guy who thinks beating on the battery with a hammer will get a dead truck to start. Also the guy who was asking me about what might be wrong with his saw, when I asked him what it was doing he said "I can only get it to start with ether" I asked him if beating on it with a hammer helped.

We have guys do this with cut-off saws and jumping jacks at work. That is why there is now a "No Ether" policy for anyone except actual mechanics. :bang:

Like this?

<iframe width="425" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/SpYWkchNyqk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I have seen folks blow a tire to pieces with that trick. The best part about the video you posted is the little ads that pop up on the bottom of the screen when you hit play, the first ad that popped up was for a insurance company asking "Do you need affordable health or life insurance?"

I have seen folks blow a tire to pieces with that trick. The best part about the video you posted is the little ads that pop up on the bottom of the screen when you hit play, the first ad that popped up was for a insurance company asking "Do you need affordable health or life insurance?"

He used way too much. I've done it with ether, but I didn't squirt nearly so much. Worked like a charm.

I have seen that trick pulled with either, on a forklift, it worked, but I refused to be any closer then fifty yards away when the match was tossed, worst part for me was it was my Boss at the time doing it!

We got a guy around here that got a bunch of money when his dad passed away, instead of investing in a labotomy to improve his IQ he sat about blowing it on strange building projects, one required a chainsaw to notch poles, he immediately straight gassed a really nice homelite super II. So a buddy of mine sold him a freshly rebuilt a Husky 350. Showed him how to mix the fuel and filled the saw and left. A day or so goes by he shows up claiming the saw won't run, my buddy looks it over, fills the tank and it fires on the second pull. This actually continued to happen, Finally my buddy, gave the guy his money back, and took the saw back, and told him he should never touch gas powered equipment again!

He used way too much. I've done it with ether, but I didn't squirt nearly so much. Worked like a charm.

Local tire shop burned completely down a few years ago when the owner was mounting a tractor tire and "a spark ignited residue of a flammable liquid on a wheel rim". The owner had many years in the business, as well as all the proper equipment to mount tires, and claimed that the tire must have been previously weighted with a flammable liquid.

Tire fire in Franklin County destroys business - Roanoke.com

I don't repair saws, but I bet O'l T. Hall has some stories to tell. Don't see him much as I used to though. JR

Space

This was his second vid. His first try failed.... I don't know if it was tire position or amount of fuel....

Looks like they're having a good time!

Twelve HP Murray riding lawn mower, someone welded the two blades in place. Both blades were the wrong ones and were for a 20 inch walk behind. Owner wanted it fixed, new deck, new blades, oil change, service out, two new tires, then he really pitched a fit when he was given the bill. Serves him right for bringing in a $100. yard sale mower. He did however pay his bill.

Back when I was a foreman at a tractor/trailer shop, I had a bunch
of green kids working for me on 2nd shift, they came into my office
one night, saying, " Fish, come out here and listen to this tire we just
mounted, it sounds like popcorn!!!!!"
I ran out to see a couple of guys with their ears up to a sidewall of a trailer tire, [not in the cage], listening to the popping sounds.....

Local tire shop burned completely down a few years ago when the owner was mounting a tractor tire and "a spark ignited residue of a flammable liquid on a wheel rim". The owner had many years in the business, as well as all the proper equipment to mount tires, and claimed that the tire must have been previously weighted with a flammable liquid.

Tire fire in Franklin County destroys business - Roanoke.com

Back almost 30 years ago I got my first job at a rural tire shop. We delt with alot of farmers and ranchers. Back then alot of those guys used propane powered pickups. They were bad about rigging up a hose to the tank and using it to air up tires. So I can totally see this being a possiblility. I learned to never stand over a tire on the machine and deflate it. I got a nice dose of that stuff one time...lesson learned.

I do remember that some of the Fix-A Flat stuff came with a warning label you were supposed to put on the wheel after putting that stuff in a tire. I believe that the propellent for the aerosol can was actually propane!

Hands down the stupidest thing I see is tape wrapped around a high pressure hydraulic line to stop a leak. Here's your sign.

And yes I have seated the bead on a number of tires with ether. CJ

I don't know if this was an actually functioning repair or a rip off or what.
My grandmother used to live in Wyoming was into horses and used on old f-250 with the 460 to drive her trailer around. A couple of years ago we moved her back to va because shes getting to the point she can't live by herself 93 yrs old. So I bought her truck from her and drove it back to Virginia.
At some point someone had wrapped straight up aluminum foil over various hoses and the fuel line just pieces here and there all random like. I don't know if they thought they were actually insulating or just ripping off an old lady.
I took it to the shop I use back home like that we all had a good laugh.
They also said it was only firing on 6 cylinders guess thats why I got such good gas mileage on the way back 11mpg.

Latest posts

Back