Stupidest Repairs Ever Witnessed!!!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not a repair, but I saw the village idiot using a rear-bagging push mower sans bag. Not even a guard. Just a discharge straight to your feet. Didn't look like he was even trying to stay out of the way. Wonder when he made it to the emergency room?

Chris B.

My dad never believed in buying anything new.

When I was in my grade school years and helping him mow one late summer, he had an old push mower from china mart. Well the kill switch broke and fell off, the whole shebang.

I didn't realize that had happened until I went to turn off the mower, released the handle and the thing didn't die. I stared at it for a bit, put the mower on the uphill side of the big old elm tree to keep it from terrorizing the neighbors and ran into the house for the old man.

He said, "grab a stick and pop the spark plug wire off."

"ok"

Off I go, grab a stick, pop the wire, stick breaks, plug arcs, I get zapped good, and fell flat on my back into the shade of the big old elm tree.

Dad got a new mower the following summer :laugh:

1985 grand Marquis.

Car would not start with the Throttle body fuel injection but would run after you hit it with a shot of starting fluid. Well I couldn't be popping the hood every time to start the thing....

So I cut a hole in the arm rest between the seats to accommodate a can of starting fluid. I had some of that tubing that would fit in the straw part of the nozzle, JB welded it to the nozzle and ran the tubing inside an old brake line to the carb. When I needed to start the car I would just give it a shot of ether, and go.

And so you do not think I am a complete idiot...The car was only used for a demolition derby. I guess something in the computer didn't like removing the gas tank, all the emission controls, and anything else that was not needed for survival.

1985 grand Marquis.

Car would not start with the Throttle body fuel injection but would run after you hit it with a shot of starting fluid. Well I couldn't be popping the hood every time to start the thing....

So I cut a hole in the arm rest between the seats to accommodate a can of starting fluid. I had some of that tubing that would fit in the straw part of the nozzle, JB welded it to the nozzle and ran the tubing inside an old brake line to the carb. When I needed to start the car I would just give it a shot of ether, and go.

And so you do not think I am a complete idiot...The car was only used for a demolition derby. I guess something in the computer didn't like removing the gas tank, all the emission controls, and anything else that was not needed for survival.

you ARE a tool scott, that makes me laugh so hard you wouldn't believe. (meant that nicely)

Would get ya to do me a muffler but I can purge weld with a tig, so I will do my own, but I have heard good things from a few about your muffs.

Dad did something similar back in the 70s with his Fiat 124 wagon. It was hard starting in the Midwest winters, so he snaked a poly tube from the passenger compartment through the firewall and into the air cleaner horn.

He pushed the tubing over the pipe of a propane torch with the burner head removed and wedged the bottle between the front seats.

Any time he started the car after being parked outside, he cracked the propane valve and cranked the engine. Started every time...

Aftermarket tank vent on an 026.

attachment.php

View attachment 186039

wtf is that, a chicken bone? :clap:

Not sure I'd call it the stupidest ever, but here's a mower with no option for a bag. The side discharge port is plugged to turn it into a mulcher. Yes, that's a piece of motorcycle tire.

attachment.php

I like that mulcher attachment, looks like something I might do.

Not a repair, but I saw the village idiot using a rear-bagging push mower sans bag. Not even a guard. Just a discharge straight to your feet. Didn't look like he was even trying to stay out of the way. Wonder when he made it to the emergency room?

Chris B.

I've seen repairs done with bungee cords, duct tape, sticks, broom handles, etc. Some of the lawn service folks around here use equipment that probably should have stayed in the scrap heap. We have city heavy trash pick-up every other month; if you put out anything that can be repaired or sold the city dump never sees it.

Okay, i got one for yas.

The SFIL bought a used izuzu pickup from a friend of his. Drove it all the way home, no problems. Went out to crank it the next day and it wouldn't start, just turn over. He figured it was the fuel pump.
So being the master of jerry rigger that he is, he decided to test the fuel pump by straight wiring 12 volts from the battery to the pump and pulling the fuel line off the rail.
Well guess what direction that fuel line was pointing in? Yeap, pointing in the direction of the master fuse bus.
Mind you, i was upstairs watching tv when it happened but by the time i got down stairs and out the door, that truck was fully engulfed to the cab. Worst thing was, my brand new car was parked right next to the truck. I had to dive in the passenger side door, throw it in drive and let the door slam when i punched it.
He lives in a two story condo with cover parking on the bottom. If the cover parking hadn't been made of concrete the whole place would have caught on fire.
The son of gun got lucky because the fire marshal declared it an electrical fire. :laugh:

you ARE a tool scott, that makes me laugh so hard you wouldn't believe. (meant that nicely)

Would get ya to do me a muffler but I can purge weld with a tig, so I will do my own, but I have heard good things from a few about your muffs.

I actually did very well with that car. I later obtained the Derby man's dream car...a Chrysler leaf spring wagon. Did every known trick in the book to that car. Even pulled the engine and replaced it with a "special" chevy 350 FBM and welded shortened drive shaft. All kinds of work on the frame, inside the frame, hidden cheats that everyone does but cant be seen at inspection (unless you cut the car in Half.....

Every time I took it to the derby some last minute problem kept me from the heat. I tried to run it three years in a row and the curse never failed to keep me from running it. I finally sold it on eBay, and the buyer caught all kinds of hell from his local derby mates because I listed all the tricks on the listing.

Thanks, Fish!!....This is the thread i was looking for!:D

OK.....Check this one out! I just got this P100 partner in to repair......How do you like this for a high tension wire repair......Guy says he's been running it like this for years!!.....:monkey:

IMG_6371.jpg

If it works, then it is a "good" repair....... Looks like that coil has a replaceable wire.

Alrighty then....My mistake. I guess this was a good repair.:dizzy:

Yep... it's like if you were driving down the road in the middle of nowhere, with nothing but trees to the left and right of you, and the throttle cable snaps...

Are you going to go with plan:

A. Wait for someone in a NAPA truck drive up there and give you a new throttle cable...

or

B. Grab some bailing wire, or any other wire of decent strength, and use that to rig up a new, but temporary, throttle cable...

or

C. Cry and whine for mommy to save your puny wimpy ass...

I'd reckon most of us here would pick/put into action plan B...

I have to admit that I once repaired an ignition wire on a husky that was arcing and not letting the saw start. I used some silicone sealant and two layers of shrink tube. I only ran it until the new ignition lead showed up in my defense.

IMG_6371.jpg

That could get real interesting right there.

Latest posts

Back