Suggestion for a small saw?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Others may disagree, but check out the little Stihl MS-170. It's the only saw I have and it's done everything I've ever ask of it without so much as a whimper. I have a 14" bar on it and have taken down some pretty good size trees. I've cut well over 50 full cords (150 face cords) of wood with it. Sure, a bigger saw would be faster, but they're also heavier. (I am getting a bigger saw. Probably the Stihl MS-362.) But you can't beat the little MS-170 for the price. Mine was around $150, new. It's so nice and light to use. It all boils down to a matter of preference. As long as you already have a "bigger" saw, check out the little MS-170. I don't think you'll be sorry with it. I'd never get rid of mine.

I agree. Mine has been one heck of a little saw.

I had a stihl 250 and it was a pretty good saw it was lighter than my 044 that saw was real good for cutting wood and trimming around the house.

Get a good running used or a new 026 or 260, in stock form use a sub-20" bar and if modded use a 20" bar with Stihl Semi-Chisel and you will have one of the best "grubbing" or "brush" saws, I have used. One pull starts, built like a tank, parts are everywhere, if you need them and used ones are pretty cheap, dealers are everywhere.

My opinion,

Sam

I really like my stihl 028 when it had a 16" bar. IMHO get a saw with the minimum bar length of the bar lenth you want to use. You will get the best performance out of your saw this way.

I really like my 260. It is very light and will cut pretty good too.

The ms211 or maybe ms250 would be okay too. Or a ms200T. Or a ms200 rear handle.

A husky I use sometimes at work I really like is the 345. Good cuttin little saw. Pretty light too.

I work with stihls at work so take that in mind when I say a great 16" saw is the Ryobi 10532. I have one with a 16" oregon bar and it runs and cuts awesome.... some would say it all plastic but so are the two new stils and husky's we just bought at work..... so unless your goin to be using every day for months on end buy one and give it a try.

I spent $30 on mine and put another $40 into it plus a little time

I would add here that twice I've experienced a minor "issue" with my 435. Both outings were in the summer and it was extremely hot/humid outside, and I was cutting limbs/logs that were up off the ground 3-4'.

The saw was getting worked really hard, and about 2/3rd into the tank of fuel it started bogging down and acting like it was out of fuel. The first time I just put it in the truck and grabbed one of my 55's and kept cutting. The other day it repeated this problem, so I tried adjusting the carb a bit, which helped for a few minutes, then it "cleared" itself and was "pig" rich, requiring me to go back to the original setting. It ran flawlessly for the rest of the tank of fuel, which was about 10 more minutes of cutting.

I suspect it's boiling or vaporizing the fuel just a tad in the tank due to the heat.

It has NEVER on one occassion given me any trouble in cooler/cold weather.....Cliff

Well thank you for all of your input.

I ended up finding a barter deal on craigslist for a little MS170 in great shape, and the seller put a brand new bar and chain on it.

Turns out I have skills I can trade :hmm3grin2orange:

Hopefully this isn't the beginning of CAD, I already suffer from FAD as a firearms instructor.

I love my little Stihl MS180. I use it to cut brush, limbs, campfire wood, etc. I cut 3-4 inch wood only for campfires. The small chain seems to me a perfect fit for the power, and weighs next to nothing. For a little bigger saw, I really liked the Husky 345. Felt great in my hands, nice AV, and cut really nice with 16" bar. I really miss it, but had to free up funds for a bigger saw. :chainsawguy:

Latest posts

Back