Suggestions sought. Next Stihl?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Supposedly they are offering them free during a fall promo, on any new Stihl also buy a six pack of Ultra and get an additional years warranty, from one year to two years for 16-18 dollars isn't a bad investment.

I had a similar question a few months ago. What made up my mind was watching videos of a 261/362/441 cutting.

[video=youtube;WOZTvF2XT4E]http://www.youtube.com/watch?nomobile=1&v=WOZTvF2XT4E[/video]

(Sorry it'll only allow one video per post)
youtube.com/watch?nomobile=1&v=urbdqAzfHGc

youtube.com/watch?nomobile=1&v=q_MT4Gu5Gx4

Decide for yourself.

Earlier this year my 261 was out the door at around $519 :msp_biggrin:

DSC_7471.jpg

With the saw came a 20" 3/8" b/c but I bought it with a 18" 3/8" b/c :msp_biggrin:

It has a little porting on it now and it's been MM'ed :msp_biggrin:

When you get your 261, be patient with her until she breaks in. I have found that stratified saws from Stihl take several tanks of fuel to reach full potential. My 261 had a slow throttle response when new but as it broke in that went away. I have done a muffler mod and set my saw at 13,800 and it is a fine little saw with lots of guts in a cut. Very happy with the 261 and I am sure you will be also

Steve

I liked the MS360Pro I had, but it sat a LOT because I went to my 026 first, every time.

My 026 is muffler modded and I have it tuned perfectly to where I can bury the 20" 3/8 .063" setup in ash and it cuts great.

The MS360Pro weighed too much for the little extra power it had over my 026, so I traded it off for a Jeep.

If my 026 won't do it, I pick up my 088. :rock:

My advice? Find people in your area with the saws you're interested in and take them for a test drive. :msp_wink:

Whoa! You swapped a chainsaw for a jeep! Pics!

My best ever years ago was a bicycle for a project Scout, but then someone offered me a fast benjamin for the scout and I was broke and moving anyway so I took the cash.

When you get your 261, be patient with her until she breaks in. I have found that stratified saws from Stihl take several tanks of fuel to reach full potential. My 261 had a slow throttle response when new but as it broke in that went away. I have done a muffler mod and set my saw at 13,800 and it is a fine little saw with lots of guts in a cut. Very happy with the 261 and I am sure you will be also

Steve

Mine has really come to life in the last couple tanks of fuel. I normally run a 16" bar on it but I tossed the 20 on and it was just chewing though old dry oak last night. Indiansprings is right on the money, 261 with a 18" bar is about perfect unless you get in to some really big wood.

I bought an MS 290 for cutting firewood with a 20" bar 3/8" pitch and it worked fine until I tried cutting Fir. Not enough power! Now that saw is retired and replaced with an MS 361, WOW!
These saws are easy to find for under $400, they weigh slightly less than the 290 and the quality is 100% better. It cuts that Fir like the 290 cuts Maple, the chips just fly!!

I've always thought fir was a softwood and therefore made for easy cutting, no?

at my saw shop i can buy powerhead only ,may ask if have bars and chains allready it cuts the price down some

I've always thought fir was a softwood and therefore made for easy cutting, no?

Fir is dense nice wood, used in furniture and cabinetry a lot as well. I am sitting at a desk that is made from an old platform bed I made, birch plywood top, fir edges.

I really don't know the technical classification, but I would consider it a hard-coniferous wood.

I may have to wait til Monday to order the 261. None of the supposed dealers in my area are stocking it. I've got a contractor supplier that claims they can get any saw in a day. I'll see if they can back that up... On a side note, is there any advantage to the Quick Stop feature on the MS261C-Q?

IMHO I would look for a nice used 026 which will cost you in my area about $150 to $200 and send it off to a repulable builder for a port job and mm and it will have more power then what you will need. You will have less money invested even if it needs parts then a new saw will run ya. A nice 036 pro is also an option for about $300 used. Once again this is in my neck of the woods.

I used to cut all our firewood with my 031 av 16" 3/8 and then my husky 445 18" .325 until I joined this site and got a bad case of cad lol. We would burn about 10 cords a year cutting white oak and red oak.

I may have to wait til Monday to order the 261. None of the supposed dealers in my area are stocking it. I've got a contractor supplier that claims they can get any saw in a day. I'll see if they can back that up... On a side note, is there any advantage to the Quick Stop feature on the MS261C-Q?

Just get the MS 261 NOT the MS 261C-Q

The saw will wake up on it's own like in 15 tanks of fuel

Do a MM after the first fuel tanks you'll be glad you did and you will notice a big difference; if your worried about the warranty pick up a extra muffler and MM that one :msp_biggrin:

My dealer now can and does get parts over night (they don't get deliveries on Saturday)

When I got mine I mistakenly call and ask if the had them and he laughed at me and when I was in there picking up my saw he ask me to come to the back of the shop and there was 9 of them on a pallet that's why I do ALL my business in Woolley now :wink2:

Gents, I'm looking to buy a 2nd saw for personal woodcutting use. I've been using a Stihl 029 Farm Boss that I bought new about 18 years ago. I struggled with Homelites before that. I would like a professional grade saw that is at least as light as the 029 (18" bar), yet still enough power to fell and buck some beefy hardwoods. I cut and burn 7 to 8 cords a year, and do a lot of limbing and clearing as well. I know my limitations with a chainsaw, but I'm looking to upgrade beyond homeowner status. Suggestions and/or snary comments welcome...:popcorn:

Why does it have to be a Stihl? :msp_scared:

For the OP, I am surprised no one suggested this option: That is, if you have been using the 029 for that long, if it is in good shape overall, how about upgrading it to the 039 engine for $100 plus or minus and have more power with essentially the same weight?

The rebuild kit (Asian) can be had for about $75 off the internet or you can acquire an entire engine (complete) for around $120 or so.

This would give the saw you are familiar with a lot more grunt without much investment.

Even if you buy a new saw, you may want to consider this upgrade and keep the 029/039 as a second saw.

Latest posts

Back