Sugihara bars......dl count?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SpaayDawg

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I've been cutting for about a decade, mostly with my dad firewood cutting and on the side taking down neighbors trees. For some reason I'm harder on my saws that my dad is. :chainsawguy:(must be youth.......) I've torched or bent 3 bars on different saws in the past 2 years, all Stihl Rollomatic ES. I've seen some posts about sugihara bars and was contemplating getting one, then I saw that the dl count for the 18" bars could need customizing if I get one. I'd like to get the 18" for Stihl, and run 3/8's, .050, FULL Chisel.

Anyone use these in 18" and can comment? Maybe I'm putting too much thought into this? Is there another bar manufacturer that I should be looking at too? It'll be going on a 028Super, and if I like it I'll get one for the 041av too.

Thanks for your suggestions.

Please no comments about how I should be running .325 pitch on <60cc saw.

welcome to AS, Stihl makes good bars and I see no problem with 3/8 chain.
I would get a nice set of wedges and start using them.

I have used Stihl 18" sprocket tip bars & 3/8" pitch chain on my 032 AV for years since I bought this saw in 1982. The wood I cut is pretty hard & often has dried mud in it that the termites bring up into the wood. I clean the bar groove out quite often & have my bar oiler turned up to the max & my bars last for ages.
Get yourself a Stihl bar & use Stihl bar oil & you can't go wrong.

Is your "problem" that you are accostumed to 18" Stihl bars that take 66dl, while the Sugi bar take 68dl?

There is no way around this, but you should put the blame on Stihl for using non-standard dl counts, and not on Sugi-Hara........:givebeer:

If your dealer spins the loops that he sell, or can do it, it is not a problem. :)

Is your "problem" that you are accostumed to 18" Stihl bars that take 66dl, while the Sugi bar take 68dl?

There is no way around this, but you should put the blame on Stihl for using non-standard dl counts, and not on Sugi-Hara........:givebeer:

If your dealer spins the loops that he sell, or can do it, it is not a problem. :)

That's what I wanted to know. So I would have to have a "custom" loop made if I wanted to use the 18" Sugi on any Stihl?

:cheers:

That's what I wanted to know. So I would have to have a "custom" loop made if I wanted to use the 18" Sugi on any Stihl?

:cheers:

Yes, or you could go to a Husky or Jonsered (or most other brands) dealer, and buy premade 68dl loops, but not if you insist on Stihl chain.......

I am sure that Baileys sell 68dl loops as well, but again no Stihl chain.

Another point, I don't see any reason to not use Stihl bars on a Stihl saw - they are pretty good stuff.

Btw, this "problem" isn't present in all bar lengths, at least not in 16" and 20" 3/8". It is most common in .325 in fact.

Last edited:
I've been cutting for about a decade, mostly with my dad firewood cutting and on the side taking down neighbors trees. For some reason I'm harder on my saws that my dad is. :chainsawguy:(must be youth.......) I've torched or bent 3 bars on different saws in the past 2 years, all Stihl Rollomatic ES. I've seen some posts about sugihara bars and was contemplating getting one, then I saw that the dl count for the 18" bars could need customizing if I get one. I'd like to get the 18" for Stihl, and run 3/8's, .050, FULL Chisel.

Anyone use these in 18" and can comment? Maybe I'm putting too much thought into this? Is there another bar manufacturer that I should be looking at too? It'll be going on a 028Super, and if I like it I'll get one for the 041av too.

Thanks for your suggestions.

Please no comments about how I should be running .325 pitch on <60cc saw.
I don't think a sugi bar is gonna fix your problem.

The light weight Sugis are gonna make your prob worse. Get some wedges and use them, cut smart. Baileys has 68dl loops @ 10.95 plus shipping. In fact you can get bar and chain combo for less than 30.00. Their woodland pro chain is Carlton, good stuff. You could try a Cannon super bar, they are heavy and expensive. Wedges are cheap, your saw will thank you.

Stihl chain vs. (.........)

I see that most other chain is less expensive than Stihl. I've always used Stihl though and have no other experience with other manufacturers of chain. If I did infact go ahead and purchase a non-Stihl 18" bar what chain mfg would I look toward for comparable cutting/quality??

I thank all of you for all of your suggestions:cheers:, I don't have any experience with wedges and have long thought that I need to learn how to use some they'll be purchased along with the new b/c.

They all cut good when sharp. It is said here that Stihl cutters are hareder than most. It holds an edge longer, but is tougher to file, I agree. Oregon and Carlton cutters a little softer, easier to file, I agree. Pick your poison.

They all cut good when sharp. It is said here that Stihl cutters are hareder than most. It holds an edge longer, but is tougher to file, I agree. Oregon and Carlton cutters a little softer, easier to file, I agree. Pick your poison.

"Rockwell" testing has shown that the steel in the Stihl chain actually is softer, but the crome is thicker, and that seems more important regarding stay-sharp and how they file. :)

Last edited:
I see that most other chain is less expensive than Stihl. I've always used Stihl though and have no other experience with other manufacturers of chain. If I did infact go ahead and purchase a non-Stihl 18" bar what chain mfg would I look toward for comparable cutting/quality??

I thank all of you for all of your suggestions:cheers:, I don't have any experience with wedges and have long thought that I need to learn how to use some they'll be purchased along with the new b/c.
carlton seems to stretch less than oregon. oregon seems to be more consistant in cutter hardness(or softness).others may have different opinions.stihl cost more than i'm willing to pay.

"Test has shown that the steel in the Stihl chain actually is softer, but the crome is thicker."

That would make Stihl harder to file, chrome is hard stuff. I like the Woodland Pro/Carlton, works for me. Most of the wood I cut is soft, except for that Black Oak and Live Oak, that stuff is hard.

Is there anyone out there that has used an 18" Sugi with 3/8" pitch that could chime in?

Yes

When I ordered an 18" Sugi for my MS361, the Sugi specs said 68dl so that's what I ordered for chains. Turns out that it's only 68 if you put it on a Husky saw. On the Stihl it was still 66. So if you're putting a Sugihara bar on a Stihl, you use the same number of drive links as you would with a Stihl bar. At least, with 18", 20" and 24" this is definitely true.

Pics?

Yes

When I ordered an 18" Sugi for my MS361, the Sugi specs said 68dl so that's what I ordered for chains. Turns out that it's only 68 if you put it on a Husky saw. On the Stihl it was still 66. So if you're putting a Sugihara bar on a Stihl, you use the same number of drive links as you would with a Stihl bar. At least, with 18", 20" and 24" this is definitely true.

So the Sugi 18" IS the same length as a Stihl 18"?? There anyway someone has some pics of the two for comparison? After shipping the Sugi is only $1 more than the Stihl at the dealer, so I'm spending the same money anyway. But if I don't need different sized loops then I could still use my current chains.

Thanks for putting up with me on here I know I'm a noob.:cheers:

Back