Super Split

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RichL

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
How long has this mechanical log splitter technology been around? I know there are a few companies that make this type of log splitter but who developed the first one for the retail market?

To the best of my knowledge, the splitter has been around for 30+ years. Paul of SuperSplitter, Inc. purchased the company from the original owner a few years back. All others are copies, and poor ones at that, IMO.

:msp_thumbup:

Yep MN, that's the way I understand it. I could be wrong but I believe Paul is the son or son in-law of the original owner/inventor. He gave me a run down of the history, but my memory is a little fuzzy.

Yep MN, that's the way I understand it. I could be wrong but I believe Paul is the son or son in-law of the original owner/inventor. He gave me a run down of the history, but my memory is a little fuzzy.

I want to say son in-law is what I heard as well, but that was many beers ago.

The SS is a great machine, but by no means the first of its kind, just the evolution of the basic design. When it was hard to make horsepower, the flywheel reigned supreme. Punches, presses, all manner of machinery has been built around flywheels, racks, cams, and other simple machines. Today, in some of the most high precision sheet metal shops, mechanical turret punches are the norm. Hydraulics are great for many applications, but lack the speed for real production demands. Super Split has done an excellent job on there machine, to my knowledge, there is not another machine of its style that is is as well built. That being said, Gripo makes a near clone, as does Wood Wolf, and a small company in Ohio who I cant seem to remember the name of. Of course, for the big wood, I gotta have my hydraulic lift.

Well written post Treeguy...:cheers:

I just took a look a the Gripo model for the first time. If I stood 4'3" tall it would be great, but being that I don't, my back hurts just looking at the thing. The production table is too small and not level with the beam. The rest of it looks great. Great as in like an exact copy of the SuperSplit. You would think if a man were to copy another mans idea, they would do a bit more to make it look like their own or perhaps even improve it. I suppose there just isn't much to improve on SuperSplit....:msp_thumbup:

At least they went with a Honda engine.

Last edited:
In a SS thread a while back, the Canadian Gripo reared it ugly head. The owner was having a lot of trouble with his. I'm with MN on this one, man that thing is too close to the ground and the table looks useless.

Gripo

Speaking of Gripo.... I emailed them about their... product, asked about becoming a dealer for them here in the Piedmont of North-Carolina. I never heard from them? 'Wonder if they are in business?

Ohio SS copy info

The one in Ohio is just called a mechanical splitter.it's made by an Amish guy.Melvin yoder,Flack Hill machine Ltd. 7799 Flack Rd.
Howard,Ohio 43028.You would have to mail Him for info.

Pete

Ohio guy

Ray,

I would really appreciate your neighbours contact info... this is the Amish guy.... just to make sure?

Thanks!

Tom

He is Amish. His mailling address is posted. They don't have phones. If you want pm me and I will set up a time when you can call me and talk to them.

Ray

Sounds like customers service could be interesting were one to need parts or repair, etc. in the future.

I'd bet he does mostly local business, driving distance. Any
volume would be very difficult these days without internet and a phone.

Latest posts

Back