Super Split?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Spoke to rep at Split-Fire and he mentioned that the SuperSplit is more dangerous??? Why is that? I think the speed at this point on both machines is pretty equal, and I feel I am leaning towards the Split-Fire.....Pricing is fairly equal as well......The 2260 model which will probably serve my needs is very fast, and going to the 3255 with more power slows down the speed from 4-6 to 9-11 seconds cycle time

The rep is going to send me a video of the 3255 in action....Will post if possible....

Speed?

Question? Are you doing you own chainsaw cutting? Have you ever used a splitter before? You seem to be leaning towards the speed of the units for your deciding factor. And I wonder why you are doing that? Sure the rep at Split-fire would probably say some negative things about Supersplit, just trying to get a sale. It could be quite possible that it is more dangerous. It works on a Gyro type system versus hydrolics. My take is not so much on speed but can it split wood, all types. I know the Supersplit has trouble with twisted wood and knots etc. which you get many times. With the Split-fire 2260, The tonnage is only 10.5, and the 255 is is 14.5. That is 4 tons more force! When you are going through big heavy, hard, and sometimes wet wood that could be twisted and with knots, it takes brut force to get through it. I have the 255. I have split over 300 cords so far! I personally would NOT go less tonnage. I sometimes encounter trouble getting through some wood. Not often, but it does happen. So for me, I would go UP in tonnage from the 255. If I would get another split-fire , it would also have the 4 way splitter. But that's just me. NO 2260 with only 10.5 tons for me. The speed on the 255 is fast already splitting both ways, so 8 seconds is quick, plus it have the tonnage to at least get through most wood. Good luck on your choice.

QUOTE=JerryNycom;1015943]Spoke to rep at Split-Fire and he mentioned that the SuperSplit is more dangerous??? Why is that? I think the speed at this point on both machines is pretty equal, and I feel I am leaning towards the Split-Fire.....Pricing is fairly equal as well......The 2260 model which will probably serve my needs is very fast, and going to the 3255 with more power slows down the speed from 4-6 to 9-11 seconds cycle time

The rep is going to send me a video of the 3255 in action....Will post if possible....[/QUOTE]

Kennyplay, I asked about the 4 way wedge, and its only available on the higher end units, I think the 3455 is the smallest.....I dont need that big....

In answering your questions I will be using a chainsaw to get them down and cut them to size, and the 2260 is REALLY 14 tons compared to traditional log splitters, and the 3255 is about 20 tons.

This is off the website:

Tonnage / Compared
(TO STANDARD SPLITTERS) 14.5 / 20

The rep also told me the 2260 will do bigger wood, just maybe have to quarter instead of right down the middle....Make any sense?:bang:

I'd like to see a video of them actually SPLITTING those big rounds they show. It's impressive that they can lift them, but what about splitting? I'm a bit skeptical.

Looks well made, though. That log cradle actually has some beef to it. :)

For the speed I'll stay with my split-fire it combines the best of both worlds!
It splits in both directions, and has the power to split narly stuff. And easy on gas.:givebeer:

Which model do you own? Do you have pics or videos?

Thanks!

I've had my SPLIT-FIRE for three years...........

Buy the way I went to harbor frieght and got a two wheel dolly with 2" ball on top of it and it makes moving the spiltter with ease:givebeer:

Do you have a pic of your setup with the dolly?

Thanks!

thoughts

Hello, are you referring to the Split-fire? I have the 255 and splits great, of course, when real bad swists or knots, it has trouble, like almost all splitters. That why I mentioned to JerryNycom about the tonnage. He answered back "In answering, the 2260 is REALLY 14 tons compared to traditional log
splitters, and the 3255 is about 20 tons." Which I know about the comparisions and equivalents. Most people I have seen use at least 25 tons or more. The smaller 2260 with only 14 tons, I would have real serious concerns with. I would not go with anything less than a 255. If you go to the split-fire site, you can view videos!

I'd like to see a video of them actually SPLITTING those big rounds they show. It's impressive that they can lift them, but what about splitting? I'm a bit skeptical.

Looks well made, though. That log cradle actually has some beef to it. :)

Yes. It looks well made, but that narrow blade... I dunno. I wouldn't bet on it splitting the stuff I get. A lot of mine is oak crotches and rounds, and they go mostly 20" to 36", sometimes bigger.

I use the Huskee/Speeco 35 ton, and it handles them with no problem, splitting vertically. Sometimes I wish it had a wider wedge, though. It will split the round, but not break it all the way in half, and I have to spin it around and hit the other side. I'm thinking that narrow blade would go through like a hot knife through butter, but wouldn't spread things enough to split a big round. And manhandling a 36 incher up there? No thanks!

On smaller stuff, I have no question it would be much faster than mine, though. I'm just a bit skeptical of the big stuff.

Oh, well, it's academic. I'm not in the market, since I've got my Huskee. If I WERE, I'd look very hard at those Split-Fire units. Looks like good stuff.

Last edited:
equivalent

Ok, what I was getting at with the question about you using a chainsaw was to find out if you were knew at that too. Since you are new at getting a splitter. Yes, I am aware and read everything and understand completely about the comparision and equivalent tonnage for the split-fires as compared to other splitters. I quoted split-fires tonnage without the comparisons. My error.

What I also know is, most good or lets say, effective splitters, are at least 25 tons and up. A friend of mine has a 25 ton horizonal/vertical. Even that has some trouble with splitting knotty/twisty wood. Again, the rep is trying to SELL units, and will comment accordingly. Bottom line, The 2260 ,equivalent at only 14 tons, in my opinion, is inferior and would certainly NOT be my choice.

If you have never done splitting, I am not sure of your confidence you say about not getting the 3455????...You somehow are coming back to speed? If you can not get through a log in the 1st, 2nd or 3rd pass, just trying to split it, how much time do you lose? If I were to get another splitter it would surely be with the 4-way wedge! I wish I had the 4-way wedge on mine, but I can't get it. The 3455 has Great tonnage, good recovery time and can accept the 4-way wedge which would make splitting lighting fast! All IMO.
I commend you for researching and asking questions. Good luck on your choice.

Kennyplay, I asked about the 4 way wedge, and its only available on the higher end units, I think the 3455 is the smallest.....I dont need that big....

In answering your questions I will be using a chainsaw to get them down and cut them to size, and the 2260 is REALLY 14 tons compared to traditional log splitters, and the 3255 is about 20 tons.

This is off the website:
pt
Tonnage / Compared
(TO STANDARD SPLITTERS) 14.5 / 20

The rep also told me the 2260 will do bigger wood, just maybe have to quarter instead of right down the middle....Make any sense?:bang:

Actually, the split-fires drop down as well. Yes, only horizonal but when you put the front hitch on the ground, now you have the blade close to the ground to. Much easier to get the wood split. I use a small ramp/or another piece of wood and roll it up. Yes, takes some effort but hey, we are splitting wood here.lol If you don't care to lift, you either buy your wood from someone else, have someone else split it or get a log lifter. Either way even with the log lifter, you still have to get the log on to the lift. My friend has a verticle splitter and that still takes some real effort to get the logs set up to be split verticle. All splitters have their own advantages. Yes, my split-fire has a thinner blade but it splits great. Actually, me and my friend split wood together at the same time and beat him everytime with ease. He uses a hatchet to cut the strands to separate the wood when splitting vertically. The wider wedge IMO, doesn't really seem to make much difference. Actually, the design of his splitter hinders him. When he puts the wood up against the back tightly, when the wedge comes down, the wood gets hung up on the bolts etc. He has to pull the wood away thus loosing splitting area. Huskee, you got yours from Tractor Supply?

Yes. It looks well made, but that narrow blade... I dunno. I wouldn't bet on it splitting the stuff I get. A lot of mine is oak crotches and rounds, and they go mostly 20" to 36", sometimes bigger.

I use the Huskee/Speeco 35 ton, and it handles them with no problem, splitting vertically. Sometimes I wish it had a wider wedge, though. It will split the round, but not break it all the way in half, and I have to spin it around and hit the other side. I'm thinking that narrow blade would go through like a hot knife through butter, but wouldn't spread things enough to split a big round. And manhandling a 36 incher up there? No thanks!

On smaller stuff, I have no question it would be much faster than mine, though. I'm just a bit skeptical of the big stuff.

Oh, well, it's academic. I'm not in the market, since I've got my Huskee. If I WERE, I'd look very hard at those Split-Fire units. Looks like good stuff.

Kennyplay thanks for everything and aswering my questions......I think I will get the 3255.....I am waiting for the rep to send me a video of it in action, just so I can convince myself the speed is MUCH faster than typical splitters.

The reason for the speed is cause I fell in love with the Supersplit, but now I believe the Split-Fire is the way to go, and the 3255 with Log Lifter might make me REAL happy! :D

Actually, the split-fires drop down as well. Yes, only horizonal but when you put the front hitch on the ground, now you have the blade close to the ground to. Much easier to get the wood split. I use a small ramp/or another piece of wood and roll it up. Yes, takes some effort but hey, we are splitting wood here.lol

Try that with a 40" oak round! :D

If you don't care to lift, you either buy your wood from someone else, have someone else split it or get a log lifter.

Yeah, and that log lifter they show on the site is pretty impressive.

I just don't like what's going to happen next with that 30-40" oak round. Either it splits completely, or it doesn't.

If it splits completely, there's have a 40" oak round waiting to fall down on my side. I either have to hold it, or let it drop. I don't much like either option.

If it doesn't split completely, NOW what do I do? :confused: There it is, sitting up there, maybe stuck on the blade....

Either way even with the log lifter, you still have to get the log on to the lift. My friend has a verticle splitter and that still takes some real effort to get the logs set up to be split verticle.

Yeah, but that's what this is for. Works great. It was $100 well spent. And hey, like you said, we're splitting wood here! We gotta get some exercise! :D

All splitters have their own advantages. Yes, my split-fire has a thinner blade but it splits great. Actually, me and my friend split wood together at the same time and beat him everytime with ease.

I don't doubt it, on the smaller stuff. Anything up to 18, maybe 20 inches I'm sure you'd blow right past me with that thing. My only hesitation is on the big stuff that I get. Most of my wood is on the high side of 20", and that's a different beast. I'd love to see some video of that kind of stuff being worked with a Split-Fire.

No doubt it's a fine machine. They look solid, unlike the Home Depot/MTD junk you see around. I'm just not sure it's the right machine for really big stuff. Especially stringy stuff.

He uses a hatchet to cut the strands to separate the wood when splitting vertically. The wider wedge IMO, doesn't really seem to make much difference. Actually, the design of his splitter hinders him. When he puts the wood up against the back tightly, when the wedge comes down, the wood gets hung up on the bolts etc. He has to pull the wood away thus loosing splitting area.

:confused: Bolts? Sounds like a lousy design. I don't have any bolts in my way at all.

Huskee, you got yours from Tractor Supply?

Yep.

I would like to see the guts of a split fire

To basically see how they have configured the wedge mechanism to hold the blade and yet not bind in a twist. If any one has one that they can aim a macro lens into I sure would appreciate it.

The split-fire goes up to around 22-24 inches in lenth. The roundness doesn't really effect it.

Even when you split a big log vertically, you still then have to manuver the huge log to split it again, and again and again. That takes a lot of effort. Either way you look at it. It is work. There are benefits/and drawbacks to both types of machines, verticle or horizonal.

I was just mentioning that the split-fire can drop nearly to the ground, to help split big wook, if you don't have a log lifter.

Yes, he got an MTD splitter, which I wouldn't have gotten but hey, you get what you can afford. That was his decision...lol

Try that with a 40" oak round! :D

Yeah, and that log lifter they show on the site is pretty impressive.

I just don't like what's going to happen next with that 30-40" oak round. Either it splits completely, or it doesn't.

If it splits completely, there's have a 40" oak round waiting to fall down on my side. I either have to hold it, or let it drop. I don't much like either option.

If it doesn't split completely, NOW what do I do? :confused: There it is, sitting up there, maybe stuck on the blade....

Yeah, but that's what this is for. Works great. It was $100 well spent. And hey, like you said, we're splitting wood here! We gotta get some exercise! :D

I don't doubt it, on the smaller stuff. Anything up to 18, maybe 20 inches I'm sure you'd blow right past me with that thing. My only hesitation is on the big stuff that I get. Most of my wood is on the high side of 20", and that's a different beast. I'd love to see some video of that kind of stuff being worked with a Split-Fire.

No doubt it's a fine machine. They look solid, unlike the Home Depot/MTD junk you see around. I'm just not sure it's the right machine for really big stuff. Especially stringy stuff.

:confused: Bolts? Sounds like a lousy design. I don't have any bolts in my way at all.

Yep.

Be Careful

Good luck and happy cutting and splitting. BE CAREFUL !!!!!!!!!!

Kennyplay thanks for everything and aswering my questions......I think I will get the 3255.....I am waiting for the rep to send me a video of it in action, just so I can convince myself the speed is MUCH faster than typical splitters.

The reason for the speed is cause I fell in love with the Supersplit, but now I believe the Split-Fire is the way to go, and the 3255 with Log Lifter might make me REAL happy! :D

I don't get your point about wood flowing one way and having to move the supersplit....
I move around my hydraulic splitter and supersplit equally with ease...

Yes the supersplit can send the wood flying... much like a splitting maul and yes it has got me pretty good on occasion.

I have found that splitters with the wedge mounted to the cylinder don't lend themselves to production tables and conveyors. My conveyor has saved me so much time because I can mound up a huge pile of wood without moving the splitter.

I will be the first to admit that my supersplitter is not perfect but then again most of my equipment isn't... Mine now had a slide with cam followers, a third flywheel, the motor mounted in a different postion and a redesigned engagment mechanism.

I don't have much of a problem on the supersplit with knots, crotches, etc. Stringy wood can slow it down a bit but hickory ins't a problem. I have never had to drive a log of the superslitter with a maul. I've done that countless times on 30 ton hydraulic splitter. Thats something to be said about the narrow wedge.

Obviously a 4 way wedge splitter could be faster than a single wedge splitter but my supersplit will have one of those soon too!

Whenever my wife and I split together she will not run the hydraulic splitter (I get stuck with it), she says the supersplitter is fun. Now that is priceless!!!

I have a 255 split-fire with a 5.5 honda engine and run all day on a tank of gas. How many other splitters can do that???(at full powerl):jawdrop:

Another member mention he likes his wood to flow one way!!! Let me tell you
sooner or later you'll have to move that supersplit,and you just mite have to duck and cover if you have piece of wood that flies out at you??

I've had my SPLIT-FIRE for three years now and still going strong, no fly outs and some of the narleest pieces of hichory and what ever else you can throw at it and if it don't split it it will cut it...:clap:

I believe a smart man would rent each unit and run it to see if it justifies the price vs. production. If your going to invest 2500.00 or more better think of return on investment or(ROI) When you throw down big money your in it for the long haul.....

Buy the way I went to harbor frieght and got a two wheel dolly with 2" ball on top of it and it makes moving the spiltter with ease:givebeer:

Try Ziggy2b

You sent your note to the wrong guy! Wasn't me. Try sending to the Original Poster by ziggy2b

I have a 255 split-fire with a 5.5 honda engine and run all day on a tank of gas. How many other splitters can do that???(at full powerl)

Another member mention he likes his wood to flow one way!!! Let me tell you
sooner or later you'll have to move that supersplit,and you just mite have to duck and cover if you have piece of wood that flies out at you??

I've had my SPLIT-FIRE for three years now and still going strong, no fly outs and some of the narleest pieces of hichory and what ever else you can throw at it and if it don't split it it will cut it...

I believe a smart man would rent each unit and run it to see if it justifies the price vs. production. If your going to invest 2500.00 or more better think of return on investment or(ROI) When you throw down big money your in it for the long haul.....

Buy the way I went to harbor frieght and got a two wheel dolly with 2" ball on top of it and it makes moving the spiltter with ease

I don't get your point about wood flowing one way and having to move the supersplit....
I move around my hydraulic splitter and supersplit equally with ease...

Yes the supersplit can send the wood flying... much like a splitting maul and yes it has got me pretty good on occasion.

I have found that splitters with the wedge mounted to the cylinder don't lend themselves to production tables and conveyors. My conveyor has saved me so much time because I can mound up a huge pile of wood without moving the splitter.

I will be the first to admit that my supersplitter is not perfect but then again most of my equipment isn't... Mine now had a slide with cam followers, a third flywheel, the motor mounted in a different postion and a redesigned engagment mechanism.

I don't have much of a problem on the supersplit with knots, crotches, etc. Stringy wood can slow it down a bit but hickory ins't a problem. I have never had to drive a log of the superslitter with a maul. I've done that countless times on 30 ton hydraulic splitter. Thats something to be said about the narrow wedge.

Obviously a 4 way wedge splitter could be faster than a single wedge splitter but my supersplit will have one of those soon too!

Whenever my wife and I split together she will not run the hydraulic splitter (I get stuck with it), she says the supersplitter is fun. Now that is priceless!!!

Latest posts

Back