Sure is quiet in here....do I need to start a fight?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Getting in from the shop, been splitting one of the old JohnnyRed saws. Kind of different how they are built. Quite different than what I'm used to. Had a helluva time getting the front handle off of the saw, even with the set screw all the way out. This is also the first time I've ever seen a clutch on a keyed shaft. Had to drill a piece of 1/4" plate steel to make a press out of to get the clutch pulled off. Now I just need a new gasket and oil seals for the saw.

You are resourceful enough to figure that stuff out, just imagine all those that could not.....LOL

Getting in from the shop, been splitting one of the old JohnnyRed saws. Kind of different how they are built. Quite different than what I'm used to. Had a helluva time getting the front handle off of the saw, even with the set screw all the way out. This is also the first time I've ever seen a clutch on a keyed shaft. Had to drill a piece of 1/4" plate steel to make a press out of to get the clutch pulled off. Now I just need a new gasket and oil seals for the saw.

All the true Jonsereds are built the same.......you may have noted the clutch spyder has three tapped holes to pull that off...so does the flywheel...Be very careful when using screws in the flywheel...go much more than say a half inch in and you can destroy the ign if not rotated to the right position.....pay close attention when removing the points/magnito plate it is timed to the crank.....mark the position BEFORE you remove it....any questions just ask....I might be able to help.....don't break anything by not having enough info...easy to do sometimes.....

I made this simple puller to pull every flywheel and clutch on the true Jonsereds from the 49SP to the 90 and probably others I don't own.....works OK.....need a few different lengths/sizes of screws.....thread the clutch or flywheel nut nearly all the way onto the crank to pull against and protect the threads.....the OD is sized to fit down between the flywheel fan blades.....

Misc. Saw Pics.jpg

Saw Tools 010.jpg

Speciality pullers, think I have made a dozen or more of them also, got to do/make whatever it takes to get er done. Good tip om the ignition under flywheels, same on many makes n models of small engines.

As with everything....if I had it to do over.....I would have started with a thicker plate so I could thread the center for a 1/2" fine thread bolt to pull with rather than having to tighten all the screws......If I recall this is just a piece of heavy truck frame that was kicking around the shop....like 5/16" thick or so......it was built and added to as needed for the next job.....LOL!!! The ol' "Get er done" NOW with not much thought to my possible future needs...LOL!!! Someday I'll build a nice one....when I have time......Riiiight.....probably not until I break this one!!!!!

Pic of the cobbled up mess doing it job......These screws are a tad long for this particular saw.....had to use another nut on top of the clutch nut to space properly.....

49 SP and 70E Build 010.jpg

All the true Jonsereds are built the same.......you may have noted the clutch spyder has three tapped holes to pull that off...so does the flywheel...Be very careful when using screws in the flywheel...go much more than say a half inch in and you can destroy the ign if not rotated to the right position.....pay close attention when removing the points/magnito plate it is timed to the crank.....mark the position BEFORE you remove it....any questions just ask....I might be able to help.....don't break anything by not having enough info...easy to do sometimes.....

I made this simple puller to pull every flywheel and clutch on the true Jonsereds from the 49SP to the 90 and probably others I don't own.....works OK.....need a few different lengths/sizes of screws.....thread the clutch or flywheel nut nearly all the way onto the crank to pull against and protect the threads.....the OD is sized to fit down between the flywheel fan blades.....

View attachment 416346

View attachment 416353
Oh ****, I pulled the ignition off of this one already. I did mark where the screw heads were holding it though. I also have another 90 to look at for reference. I'm going to have to make a degree wheel finally. Oil pump is pretty interesting too, just a cam gear and a plunger. Bet there wasn't a lot of issues with those boilers, nice and simple. The clutch spider only had two holes for pulling. Lucky I have a lot of small pieces of plate steel kicking around. I like your puller. I will make one but I'll weld a handle on it, I left the plate I used last night long and glad I did, gave me something to hold the crank from spinning. Another thing I thought was interesting was the sealed bearings on the saw. Not used to that either.

Robin I would like to be a squirrel living in your shop attic, be all kinds of entertainment.

Probably end up learning lots of new words and definitely new ways of stringing some of the words you already know together.....in a long line...sometimes going on until I run completely out of air.....

Ready to attack pulp wood!
3adfcb9bcec0f29f3a018c959b55bb22.jpg
63c6de9b6bd74a653ed9260927ae98c8.jpg

Needs a pair like this one has....gotta build them.
11dd6fc8f3d29b3a60aa0d176afa43cf.jpg

I have seen them with top and bottom guards but mostly with a top guard that covered the top of the bow and chain. The chain can still bite you from the bottom, heard of a lot of accidental leg cuts from them without a bottom guard.

I have seen them with top and bottom guards but mostly with a top guard that covered the top of the bow and chain. The chain can still bite you from the bottom, heard of a lot of accidental leg cuts from them without a bottom guard.
Gonna get to building some. Right now its just good to have it mounted..been 2 years of picking to get the bar reworked and such. At least its together now.

Latest posts

Back