sycamore removals

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thems not Sycamores [acer psuedoplatanus] there London plane[[platanus xhispanica].......................but then you boys knew that didn't ya ????:D

Red,

Actually there are both types here. Londons have two seed balls on one stem, sycs only have one ball on a stem. Thats the easiest way to tell them apart.

Rolla those are Platanus occidentalis. london planetrees are Platanus x acerifolia, sometimes listed as hybrida not hispica.

TM you are so diplomatic in dealing with hyperbole. I'm taking notes. O and the makers of steelcores will be interested to know if their products are easily cut. mike if that's true you should tell them right away!

Agreed 60 max height. Around here you'll rarely find the 80+ footers. If you do the stem will look much like that of TM's pic.

Forget climbing them. That seems like a pretty basic felling situation. Use throw line to set a couple pull ropes. Notch, we:sucks: dge and pull over done deal ... Trees will both be on the ground in less than an hour and you will never have to subject yourself to the possibility of a fall.

As to he comment about having to be more precise. Isn't that why customers hire us. We're sopposed to be skilled at our work. Precision should be your middle name.

Check out redsds last post where he felled a couple nice sized trees. I'll bet for around 100 hr he'll come put them on the ground for you. Might even save you a trip to the ER.....

treeseer yes I stand corrected platanus acerfolia is the true London plane everyone over here calls them [wrongly] platanus xhispanica..:dizzy: So why I wonder does 'collins nature guides' 'trees of Britain and Europe' list the tree [London plane] as platanus xhispanica.......:cry:

Its common knowledge overhere that a ms200t will cut through a wire flip line..

They say an average chainsaw will cut a steelcore in under 3 seconds. We tested one against a sharp 046, it lasted under a second.

This is common knowledge, that a chainsaw will cut a steel core. Perhaps when you are at the seminars, a climbing or safety course or two, could benefit you more than all sales or biology meetings.

okietreedude1 said:
Red,

Actually there are both types here. Londons have two seed balls on one stem, sycs only have one ball on a stem. Thats the easiest way to tell them apart.

I too, stand corrected. Thanks, David. It is hard to tell from the pics, but it looks like they could be felled. If anything, blow the tops out and then fell them. Heck, I'll come out for less than a bill an hour if all I need to bring is a big saw and some wedges :D

In regards to steelcores-I appreciate what a big saw can do to one, great. Most of the time however, you will be climbing with an 020 (or equiv) this is when you are most likely to knick your lanyard, it is not that easy to cut through a steelcore with an 020, you notice the cutting is funny right away, I know, I cut right through a steelcore but I was tied in above. Not that easy to do, and when you are using a little saw you are mostly cutting up and down. When you are running a big saw (460,394 whatever) you are falling big tops, logs or blocks and your saw is held and cuts flat, hard to cut your line then. Steelcore-not that easy to cut with an 020. Rope-c'mon just look at it and its cut.

That's kinda the point, Clearance. You could sever a rope flipline with a Silky. Wirecores are a quantum level safer, even though they can be cut through witha chainsaw. And they and flip better. The downside, a little extra weight, expensive, and with a micrograb and a captive biner, more expensive.

I'm climbing right now with a rope flipline made from 11 mm Velocity. I'm much more paranoid and safety-conscious using it, and I do the tits religiously, where with a steelcore, I've been more along the lines of Clearance.

Mebbe when I go back to steelcore I'll keep the tits habit more regularly as it really does offer you more confidence and better work positioning.

As far as just dumping those trees, I wouldn't miss that climb for anything. If you just dump them, you're in the cleanup business, and mebbe the lawn repair business.

I would lay a big a$s tarp down, get all the limbs dropped to one side, and all the consistent fireood chunks bombed to the other side, whamming them onto a tire It's more to see if you can hit the bullsey consistently as preseving the lawn below these trees is not an issue. He's cleaning up, though, and you'll be doing him a big favor.

Don't forget, we are professionals and this is what we do for fun.

Also, since we're sharing Latin nomenclature, the genus and specie names should be italicized, to be proper in convention, and the first (genus) should be capitalized. The second (specie) should be lower case.

Machinus arboreus. Dudus okietreemanus. Redbullus missouriosa. Clearance spikinclimberus

I windfirm (cut of some branches, top so they don't get blown down) old growth, I climb over 100' on most all and often over 150'. Just not practical to be tied in and using a lanyard on the way up, after I top it I rappel and sometimes have to cut branches that have hangers. Then I use my steelcore and am tied in. Sometimes I use my split tail to go around if the tree is too fat for my little steelcore. My big steelcore is 18', it barely makes it around the big spruces at the butt. When I used to work utility it was comfortable to be tied in and use my steelcore when I was in one spot for a while, like using a polepruner to bust up overhang.

Clearance said:
Just not practical to be tied in and using a lanyard on the way up.
I can understand that. It just means there are lots of moments were you're not tied in at all. You be careful, Mister.

Tree Machine said:
Dudus okietreemanus.

I can did that! Can I get that under my name as well? Any mods listening in here?

As for the flip line issue, ive climbed for 11.5 yrs now all withOUT a wire core and never more than nicked my lanyard line w/ a handsaw. Even then, not enough to retire it that day. IVe been climbing w/ a 12' blaze flipper now for a year .5. Still in like new condition minus normal wear.

Anyway, we're hijacking this issue again.

As for the clean up, if Im not cleaning up...just a drop and go, I get it to the ground and thats it. Remember in this case, the customer is putting in a POOL! Do you really think hes going to worry about some divits in the yard? OR a trench where the log landed? I seriously doubt it. If he is, wait till the back hoe for the pool shows up and desicrates the whole yard - front and back.

David, best of luck on those sycamores. Let us know what you end up doing.

Treemachine-I have two steelcores, I am always attached, just not tied in too. I have freeclimbed many times in the past though. These trees are just way to big to reach around, my boss asked me not to ever and if I get hurt bad it is a heli ride (if it can fly) and a medivac flight for two hours. I didn't really explain myself that well before.

I think TM's method works great in a normal, full cleanup situation and I try to model my method for cleanup after his(lots of tarps). But, if the custmoer wants to clean it up, then I just put it down as fast as possible and chrge accordingly.

Back