Tach source

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm thinking about getting a tach for tuning my saws and I remembered this thread and reviewed it. It's now 4 months after the last post, how do you guys like the different tachs now that you have had them for a while?

Thanks,

Eric

I like the one I bought from DTI (www.tinytach.com). It's wireless but does come with a wire with a clip if needed and is simple to use (It's the larger of the two in the photo Otto posted). It was by far the least expensive one I found. Call DTI and talk to Steve. You can get the number from the web site. The one I bought plus a couple of new models are not listed on the web site but just tell them what you need it for and the will set you up.

I yesterday purchased one of the Tach's from DTI that Otto refer's to . The guy from DTI (Steve), said try the Tach out and if you are satisfied send a Check or call us and return the Tach. WOW! I haven't seen this level of product confidence/service in a long time. Thanks for the research and tip Otto.

The Tach was $87 shipping included. Don't ask the model, I wanted a multi purpose Tach, and after hitting him with 20 questions he picked the model and I don't remember. There's quite a range of tach products they sell.

Anyone find a decent cheap ($40-50) tach, can't justify spending $100 on something I might use 1 or 2 times a year.

if you can find an electronic frequency counter, you can use it as a tach.

Since the spark plug fires once every revolution, you can convert frequency to RPM by dividing by 60, i.e. 13000 rpm = 216.66 Hz.

not a cheap option for everybody, but if you have a meter that measures frequency then it will work.

Originally posted by Shade
if you can find an electronic frequency counter, you can use it as a tach.

Since the spark plug fires once every revolution, you can convert frequency to RPM by dividing by 60, i.e. 13000 rpm = 216.66 Hz.

not a cheap option for everybody, but if you have a meter that measures frequency then it will work.

My fluke will handle that, thanks.

Some first post!

Okay.. Welcome to AS. What is a Pet 1100? Why do you need one sent to Belgium?

five year old thread...........it may not be available anymore...there may be better models.....why would you assume someone would send you one when you request it with your very first post? good luck!

The only small engine tach I've ever used is distrib. by Echo. It's made by a Janpanese company but it is the industry standard for hand held. It's about the size of a calculator and comes w/a plug in lead (alligator clip)which allows you hands off reading so you can adjust the carb. I think most Echo dealers can get you one. There are 2 diff. models. I would highly suggest the "PET 1100"? If you have any trouble finding it, e-mail meand I'll set you up with a supplier.

:agree2:

five year old thread...........it may not be available anymore...there may be better models.....why would you assume someone would send you one when you request it with your very first post? good luck!

That was MY very first thought, but I was trying to be supportive.. :)

Why spend over $200 on a tach when the DTI Tech Tach is available (probably shipped to Belgium) for ~$100?

I bought a used PET 1100 on ebay for around 30 USD. It works great. I don't use the lead. Just hold it close to the plug wire. It turns itself on and jumps to the 2-stroke single cylinder setting. They were over $300 CDN from Echo. It works great but it's not worth that much to me. Keep looking on ebay and you may find a deal like i did.

Latest posts

Back