Taco circ pumps - lifespan?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well figured out the problem. Guess there's a reason I'm a cop and not a plumber. Sure enough, the pump was flowing the wrong direction. My mistake for installing it while I was in a big hurry. Thanks for the info and suggestions.

Ray

Really? My CB Classic couldn't possibly mount the circ pumps any other way but vertical within the factory supplied housing on the unit. There just isn't room. So does that mean the boiler is designed poorly or maybe should have pumps located remotely so that they can be mounted horiz?

Need to be clearer here. Hm. OK - it doesn't matter which way the water is flowing - up, down, left or right. As long as the pump itself, the cylinder housing the pump cartridge, is horizontal in some direction. Picture the shaft of the pump, inside the housing. If that is pointing up or down, it's allegedly mounted wrong. On my CB classic, the water is flowing into the pump from the top, out the bottom, but the pump shaft is parallel with the ground. In my house, the pumps are mounted in at least three different ways, but all the shafts are parallel to the floor.

Well figured out the problem. Guess there's a reason I'm a cop and not a plumber. Sure enough, the pump was flowing the wrong direction. My mistake for installing it while I was in a big hurry. Thanks for the info and suggestions.

Ray

That's ok...I did an oil boiler changeout for a friend a few yrs. ago, piped it up backwards, discovered it just before the last solder joint was done, and I've been doing this kind of work for over 30 yrs.

Ah

Need to be clearer here. Hm. OK - it doesn't matter which way the water is flowing - up, down, left or right. As long as the pump itself, the cylinder housing the pump cartridge, is horizontal in some direction. Picture the shaft of the pump, inside the housing. If that is pointing up or down, it's allegedly mounted wrong. On my CB classic, the water is flowing into the pump from the top, out the bottom, but the pump shaft is parallel with the ground. In my house, the pumps are mounted in at least three different ways, but all the shafts are parallel to the floor.

Good deal. As Mr. T says - "We Coo"

I used to have to replace mine every year when it was mounted with the cartridge hanging down. Since I rotated it 90 degrees I haven't had any problems and it is absolutely silent now.

Hey all,

I'm sure most of you that have circulator pumps in your heating system, have those little '00' series green Taco pumps. I've been using 'em up quickly, it seems, and I am beginning to wonder if I need to set aside an annual budget for replacing these little green pieces of junk. Maybe Taco needs to cast these things with a recycling triangle on them.

In the four years I've had my wood boiler running, I've had to replace the pump on the boiler twice. This is an '0010', which is NOT on the shelf at Home Depot, and I'm damn lucky that I had a new-in-box replacement handy, since the last time it died, it did so at about 10 pm on a Saturday night, prior to a Monday holiday.

The first one of my indoor pumps, in my primary circulation loop from the heat exchanger, decided to die on Saturday afternoon. This is an '007' and is an off-the-shelf part at HD, to the tune of $80. The things are easy enough to replace, I guess. We've been living in the house three years this Christmas, and the OWB was running for a year before that to heat the construction going on, so I got four years out of the main pump. The guy at HD said that he knows of someone who replaces them every six to nine months. Sorry, I have seven pumps in my system - five zones, one main loop pump indoors, and one boiler pump. I am not about to spend $500 or more every two or three years to replace these things. Now I'm paranoid and just waiting for the next one to go.

Is this 'normal', and should I just expect it? The cartridges, which I should be buying, are virtually the same price as a whole new pump, and I can only get them through the local plumbing wholesaler. I guess I need to keep a few spares on the shelf. In my old house, we had the original oil burner, installed in 1974, and the original Bell & Gossett circ pumps, and they ran strong until three years ago when the oil burner was replaced with a new propane high-efficiency system (with Taco pumps !). I feel sorry for my brother - he's got the old house now and will probably burn through these little green turds just as fast as I do.

Jon,

Before you buy any more pumps, go ahead and check out this link from Taco to make sure you are getting the one that is ideal for your house and hydronic system.

http://www.taco-hvac.com/uploads/FileLibrary/SelectingCirculators.pdf

Its a pretty good step by step guide, but if you have any issues with it post back and Im sure folks here can help out with it.

And on a note relevant to the topic (but not necessarily to your post), this is what Taco has to say about mounting their 00 series circulators.

When we speak of mounting, we are referring to the motor or motor shaft part of the pump. This motor part should be in a horizontal position (parallel with the floor), with the capacitor box on top or either side but never under the motor. You can mount the motor in a vertical position ( with the end of the motor facing up to the ceiling), as long as you have more than 20 psi in your system

This fits pretty well with what Jon was saying earlier.

Hope this helps some!

Funny (kind of)

I actually just had to replace both of my Tacos (007 and 009) because I was stupid and ran them dry for several hours (I didn't realize I had all the valves closed). Anyway I ordered online and they arrived on Thursday. One box said "007" and the other "009" but when I opened them up I saw that both were 007s - the UL labels on them clearly said 007-F5.

Now I"m all kinds of ticked off and go through lots of phone time tracking this down. Then I get to looking and realize that the pumps are in fact the right ones, and the factory obviously just put the wrong label on the wiring box for the 009. But for a while there I was highly ticked off.

Lots of good Info.. Will some of yall go to thread Apples to Apples owb And give my your opinion on it... mainly on the taco pumps.... Help me with my system...

Back