Take a Look at This Forecast:

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Try some good snowmobile gloves, people snowmobile up here when its -10° and sleds now days go 100 mph now there's some wind chill.

That's just the bourbon talkin.:rock:

To agree though, snowmobilers do have some pretty good clothing options to handle such conditions.
All the bar hopping makes the blood thin so they have to be insulated well.
The nearest ginmill is 4miles if you cross the sometimes frozen crick, and carharts for firewooding will leave you cold to the core.

Last edited:
-18 here right now, bit of a breeze, about 8 inches of new on the ground. I wish that I had some of the good wood over here, not over in the snow covered pile. The blaze king is purring away at 700, house is at 81....just because I can, that is why it is at 81. Gas company, kiss my wood burning backside.:clap:

You must not have heard:monkey: Martial law was enabled by Obama concerning wood stoves and he banned them with fines to exceed 3000 per violation. He said it was to help stimulate the economy:monkey:

I agree to an extent. But it blows right through my gloves and frost bites my hands. Take the wind away, and I can survive. Wind chills like this can kill.

However, on the positive side, the wind chill doubles the draft in my chimney and makes an incredible hot fire in the stove. Even damp wood burns with that kind of draft. :dizzy:

and that doc--is where the problem is--the wind......--we had -20 for 5 days straight---but hardly any breeze---if the wind would have had at it--i dont think the woodstove, and the furnace could have kept up!!! and the southern frieds are complaining!!!:dizzy::dizzy: the bad part about the south boys--is the pipes aint buried very deep, could be lots of broken lines--

There is also an endangered species of termite and all wood cutting must cease immediately.
:greenchainsaw::greenchainsaw::greenchainsaw::greenchainsaw:

LOL! And, chainsaws and log splitters are heavy pollutants of the environment. Might as well ban them while we are at it. OSHA and the EPA both need something to do. :jester:

That will force everyone to erect windmills to harness this north wind that is now out of control and generate electricity for heat. :dizzy:

and that doc--is where the problem is--the wind......--we had -20 for 5 days straight---but hardly any breeze---if the wind would have had at it--i dont think the woodstove, and the furnace could have kept up!!! and the southern frieds are complaining!!!:dizzy::dizzy: the bad part about the south boys--is the pipes aint buried very deep, could be lots of broken lines--
This poem may help us get through this mess:

It's winter in Nebraska
And the gentle breezes blow
Fifty miles an hour
At twenty-five below.

Oh, how I love Nebraska
When the snow's up to your butt
You take a breath of winter
And your nose gets frozen shut.

Yes, the weather here is wonderful
So I guess I'll hang around
It's hard for me to leave Nebraska
'Cuz I'm frozen to the ground!

One thing about living where it gets cold it keeps all the lazy welfare bums away. It's hard to live in a cardboard box when it's -20 below.

One thing about living where it gets cold it keeps all the lazy welfare bums away. It's hard to live in a cardboard box when it's -20 below.
Coldfront, you are really on top of your game today. These are some of the best lines that I have read in years. :cheers:

Must be that high pressure center that's invading Wisconsin right now. The badgers must be in heaven rather than in hibernation.

Spoke to someone in San Antonio, TX today. He told me it was 35°F there today. I will be down there for the last week of this month, I have my OWB loaders lined up and scheduled (wife broke finger yesterday and can't open door). I am just hoping for 65-70° when I go. It CAN get warm there this time of year with a little luck.

This poem may help us get through this mess:

It's winter in Nebraska
And the gentle breezes blow
Fifty miles an hour
At twenty-five below.

Oh, how I love Nebraska
When the snow's up to your butt
You take a breath of winter
And your nose gets frozen shut.

Yes, the weather here is wonderful
So I guess I'll hang around
It's hard for me to leave Nebraska
'Cuz I'm frozen to the ground!

:clap::clap::clap:

It will be fun to see what it looks like outside tomorrow morning. 8 inches of fluffy snow this morning 40 mile an hour winds tonite! 0 for a high -20's wind chill. Glad I have my wood in the shed. Time to sit back and :cheers: for the night.

I won't complain when warmer weather gets here, but I'm pretty content with the cold for now. Have a good stock of wood, more available were I to need it, and just take it a day at a time.....:)
I doubt if anyone in Minnesota, Nebraska, Wisconson, or Iowa would even be reporting on this thread if they were running short of firewood.

Frankly, I don't see how the folks in Illinois, Indiana, or Michigan can resist saying something. Last I heard, there were a few dead trees standing there, waiting to be harvested for heat. Shucks, they even sell beautiful Brave log splitters in Streator, IL.

And, Michigan is supposed to receive the most snow from this storm of all, thanks to the great lakes spawning the activity.:dizzy:

About 6 inches of snow here in Central Missouri. Suppose to get down to 1 above this evening, and -7 tomorrow night. Wind chills are suppose to be -teens.

Oh well just fired up the OWB with some good oak and will check it in 12 hours. House stat is set on 75 and son waiting for school to be called off like today.

Latest posts

Back