Thall's 262xp Rebuilded

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well I will keep going, First thing I did was do a compression test on it. I already knew the saw was burnt up by the way it would pull over.
The test read 120psi. when tom had it he said it would turn over with ease.
most likely some of the ring was freed up when it was washed in his Cuda.
attachment.php

attachment.php

Last edited:
After tear down I had to buy a new piston. And performed a squish test with the gasket and found the it was at .013" (too close for me).
Now this is wear some of you will get shook up.
I machined the piston on a 2 degree angle. Why 2 degrees ? Because 1 degree = .017" from outside to the middle of the piston. So 2 degrees gives me .035" to play with. also using an angle gives me more compression.
Now tossing out the gasket. (yes I did). Gives me a squish of .018"

attachment.php

attachment.php

Last edited:
As some of you know Thall sent me a 262xp bound for the Dumpster.
So I would like to share with you what I have done to get it running.

Grrrrrrrr. I was trying to post some pics of what it looked like when tom had it.
Hay Ultra are you out there ?

So you got that ole heap running, bout durn time,haha. Hope she runs strong , hard and long for ya Manual, really do. See there ole boy even a Stihl man can be kind to a J'red/Husky man. Enjoy that saw my friend.

Nows time to get clean up the casting marks on the piston and clean up the cylinder.
I cleaned the cylinder the same way as Four Paw's thread tells you.

Cleaning up the piston my be called "Dremel Play" but should give more room for the gas mix to flow through.
attachment.php

attachment.php

Last edited:
So you got that ole heap running, bout durn time,haha. Hope she runs strong , hard and long for ya Manual, really do. See there ole boy even a Stihl man can be kind to a J'red/Husky man. Enjoy that saw my friend.

Yep thanks, This was alot of fun.

or how a dumpster 262 can be the start of a nice rebuilt and a great thread.....:cheers:

Manual, how can compression be increased by machining the piston top at an angle... would the combustion chamber volume not increase that way ? just curious.
thanks

So now I needed a Degree wheel and thanks to Lakeside's thread I made one.
(Better LOL). Using a degree wheel is something new to me and getting the numbers you want is even newer.
This is where some people don't want you to know what numbers they used
because it opens a can of worms.
I used

75* on intake. may go down to 70* later.
92* on exhaust
120* on the transfers

attachment.php

Last edited:
or how a dumpster 262 can be the start of a nice rebuilt and a great thread.....:cheers:

Manual, how can compression be increased by machining the piston top at an angle... would the combustion chamber volume not increase that way ? just curious.
thanks

This is how I see it,
you do your squish test on the out sides of the piston,
your combustion chamber is con-caved, you just made your piston convexed.
My squish was .013 flat topped.
My squish is .018 @ 2* angle, So the piston center is .030" higher or into the combustion chamber then using the flat top.
remember 1* = .017" 2* = .035"

So now I needed a Degree wheel and thanks to Lakeside's thread I made one.
(Better LOL). Using a degree wheel is something new to me and getting the numbers you want is even newer.
This is where some people don't want you to know what numbers they used
because it opens a can of worms.
I used

75* on intake. may go down to 70* later.
92* on exhaust
120* on the transfers

Looks like you made a fine wheel there Manual and overall I'd say ya did a durn good job. I can't deny it, I love it when someone takes a old saw that needs lots of work and does something with it. Thats why I won't sell such a saw but will give it to someone that wants to do the work. Feller down in Fla posted some pics of a old 028 I sent him a while back. He spent alot of time on that saw and it turned out beautifull. Looks like yours is gonna do the same and I'm happy for ya. Who knows, the next time I may make you mad and send you a Stihl to work with,wink, haha. Good job ole boy, glad you got her ready to roll now. Let us know how well she saws...

So now that I have the degree I want to use. I use a pencil and make my marks on the piston. of how high on the exhaust and how low on the intake I have to grind off, then remove the cylinder ad scribe the distance inside the cylinder. Using a blue layout fluid.
The reason I scripe the marks is to KEEP THE SAME RADIOUS.
Heres a pic. of a 2171 cylinder (you can see it better).
closest mark is roughed in and furthest mark is finished.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Last edited:
Looks like you made a fine wheel there Manual and overall I'd say ya did a durn good job. I can't deny it, I love it when someone takes a old saw that needs lots of work and does something with it. Thats why I won't sell such a saw but will give it to someone that wants to do the work. Feller down in Fla posted some pics of a old 028 I sent him a while back. He spent alot of time on that saw and it turned out beautifull. Looks like yours is gonna do the same and I'm happy for ya. Who knows, the next time I may make you mad and send you a Stihl to work with,wink, haha. Good job ole boy, glad you got her ready to roll now. Let us know how well she saws...

you gave me a saw because of this site, so I going to show how I modded it.
I seen that 028 on this site, looks good. Hmmmmmm for a Stihl.

thanks

Essentially by doming the piston top, you can push it further into the combustion chamber while retaining acceptable squish than with a flat top piston. That's why compression increases, because you can squeeze the piston and chamber closer together.

Btw, the 262xp showed the same max torque as the the 372xp in the DLG test report, and more hp than Husky specs said.........

...but the vibes were a lot higher than the 372.....:jawdrop:

Last edited:
You obviously are a smart guy, much smarter than Tom - sorry I am out of rep bullets right now.......:yoyo: :yoyo:

Btw, the 262xp showed the same max torque as the the 372xp in the DLG test report, and more hp than Husky specs said.........

...but the vibes were a lot higher than the 372.....:jawdrop:

Thalls a smart guy, He just don't want to mess rebuilding a Husky.
If he did he might have to throw out all those Stihls of his to make room for Huskys.
I did not know a 262 had that much max torque. looks like I got a good runner.

Essentially by doming the piston top, you can push it further into the combustion chamber while retaining acceptable squish than with a flat top piston. That's why compression increases, because you can squeeze the piston and chamber closer together.

Yes doming a piston is nothing new. Heres a pic of a Jonsereds 621.

attachment.php

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back