Thank you

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tim Elster

Reaction score
Hello, I stumbled over your site when researching a couple of chainsaws advertised on Ebay here in the UK and have become addicted to it. I love the fact that people are so enthusiastic and are so generous with their knowledge and their advice. Having lived in Wisconsin for two winters (so cold and windy!) in my early twenties when working for Allis Chalmers, I know this is a great American characteristic and one to be proud of.

So, why am I here? Although I live near London I have restored an old stone farmhouse high in the hills of eastern Tuscany (centre of Italy) that I intend to retire to, keep bees, drink red wine, eat wild boar, ride my XT600 and chase the local ladies. But, the winters get cold with lots of rain and snow and I have installed three Jotul 6 log burners in the house and they take a bit of feeding. I have a friend who does the local logging so cut timber is available to me but I want to be able to cut my own firewood. I'm old enough to know that size counts and cube's count and I have an aversion to buying new. I really want a saw that has some character that I can enjoy owning and I like old school - something like a Stihl 08S perhaps. Your advice and frienship would be much appreciated. Tim Elster

welcome to the sight,,, you will find out that everyone on here are like family,, we all help each other out when needed,, i have learned everything i know from this sight,, now i have my own small engine shop,, so you can learn a lot

Welcome, Tim. Great to see you here.

I was born and partly raised in Wisconsin, and one of the tractors on the grandparents dairy farm was an old AC.

You might look up a nice used Stihl 028 Super. Still somewhat old school (30-ish years old), but one darn fine firewood saw. It'll wear a 16 to 18 inch bar with aplomb. :)

Howdy!

As you will be in italy, why not look for older italian saws? Might be easier to find used examples and parts. Then you can become an expert and chime in here when people have specific questions.

Welcome, Tim. Great to see you here.

I was born and partly raised in Wisconsin, and one of the tractors on the grandparents dairy farm was an old AC.

You might look up a nice used Stihl 028 Super. Still somewhat old school (30-ish years old), but one darn fine firewood saw. It'll wear a 16 to 18 inch bar with aplomb. :)

Thank you for your reply. I have great memories of my time in Wisconsin and the people there, its one of those places I have just never got back to. I will keep an eye open for an 028S but would appreciate a few more suggestions for my Ebay search. Best, Tim

Howdy!

As you will be in italy, why not look for older italian saws? Might be easier to find used examples and parts. Then you can become an expert and chime in here when people have specific questions.

+ 1 to that You could have a look at ALPINA/CASTOR, OLEO-MAC, OLYMPIC saws, they have some good old school models that compare very well[size for size]to the better known name saws There is an Italian chainsaw forum that may help + you will probably find they are cheaper to buy than comparable better known brands[ I own & run saws from the 3 brands mentioned & have had good service & reliability over the years with saws costing less than 50 euro`s]

Latest posts

Back