Thanks from a new member

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

singletrack100

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hi to all, my name's Duane and I'm brand new to the site. I was compelled to join in order to give a thanks to all those who have posted so much regarding chain saw performance, modding and tuning. I recently purchased a used 029super, very clean, including a view of the piston and ran well. This was to give myself a break from my 066M when wood cutting when limbing and cutting smaller logs. I set adjustments as best I could with stock limiter caps in place, and went cutting with it. Though it cut and ran fairly well, it was not what I was hoping for, and ended up with the 066M back in my hands cutting on the larger end of trees.

In all fairness, I live at 7140ft, and was cutting at about 9000ft, and this was first time out for the "new" saw.

After researching online low power outputs of 029's, which is not what I remember from a friends 029 years ago, I continually came across many threads regarding tuning (getting to four-stroking), muffler mods and the infamous limiter caps. Armed with all this info, I completed a muffler mod, tuned what I could with limiter caps, tested it on pinon rounds approximately 18", reworked the MM some more, defeated the limiter caps, achieved four-stroking at WOT no-load and clean running in the pinon! Though it is louder, it certainly pulls better through the cut, which is harder than the aspen I had cut with it prior (up to about 14", then changed saws). I look forward to my next trip out to try it in the field, but am very impressed so far!!!

So, to all those who have posted regarding these and other tricks and knowledge: THANK YOU SO MUCH!!! Happy cutting!

Welcome to As !!!
Hang on tight cause' your in for a ride now:clap::clap::clap:

Want to have some fun with the 029S? Get a 039/390 P&C for it from Baileys.......

Ya'll give this youngin' some rep for using the search function first !!

Last edited:
Hi to all, my name's Duane and I'm brand new to the site. I was compelled to join in order to give a thanks to all those who have posted so much regarding chain saw performance, modding and tuning. I recently purchased a used 029super, very clean, including a view of the piston and ran well. This was to give myself a break from my 066M when wood cutting when limbing and cutting smaller logs. I set adjustments as best I could with stock limiter caps in place, and went cutting with it. Though it cut and ran fairly well, it was not what I was hoping for, and ended up with the 066M back in my hands cutting on the larger end of trees.

In all fairness, I live at 7140ft, and was cutting at about 9000ft, and this was first time out for the "new" saw.

After researching online low power outputs of 029's, which is not what I remember from a friends 029 years ago, I continually came across many threads regarding tuning (getting to four-stroking), muffler mods and the infamous limiter caps. Armed with all this info, I completed a muffler mod, tuned what I could with limiter caps, tested it on pinon rounds approximately 18", reworked the MM some more, defeated the limiter caps, achieved four-stroking at WOT no-load and clean running in the pinon! Though it is louder, it certainly pulls better through the cut, which is harder than the aspen I had cut with it prior (up to about 14", then changed saws). I look forward to my next trip out to try it in the field, but am very impressed so far!!!

So, to all those who have posted regarding these and other tricks and knowledge: THANK YOU SO MUCH!!! Happy cutting!

I came here over a year ago looking for info on the MS290 which is the newer version of the 029S. I used the search function and ended up doing a muffler mod and retune on it and it was less than 2 months old. It turned a :poop: into a decent running saw with respectable power.

I will be back with some rep tomorrow night. I spent my 10 for today.

Welcome to As !!!

Want to have some fun with the 029S? Get a 039/390 P&C for it from Baileys.......

Looks like he`s got a full load already but here goes,BAM!!

Singletrack100, welcome to AS.

You may not know it, but your handle is well chosen. Within a few short months you'll have a one-track mind and 100 chainsaws. :rock:

Welcome to AS, jump in, hang on, read a lot -- think about it all and enjoy the journey. Good start with the 029 super. (If I understood that you didn't pull the limiter caps yet on the carb, just take it off, and use a sheet rock screw to pull them out. Retune and you'll be a happy man! :msp_w00t:).
Before long you'll be up to your ears in sawz!

Hi to all again.... I see a little roasting for searching first-lol!!! Actually, all these threads kept coming up when google searching, and with all the knowledge and experiences coming up from this site, I was sold! Abpout the limiter caps- I DID pull them, though not the first time; after the re-work is when, then achieved the tune with four-stroking and such.

I did not know about the four-stroking deal before seeing all the posts, so I learned there!! I have been cutting for 30 years, and alwas tuned everything (bone stock), to be running clean at WOT- maybe it is fortunate luck, but have never burned a saw up yet, and hope not to in the future!

I'm not sure that I will end up owning many saws as I have 3 now, two of which run, and haven't needed anything else. I get my kicks with other saws when fire season comes around each year, though usually with 044/440's, 441's and such. Kinda refreshing each year to cut into and fall things that shoot fire at your legs, catch the grass around you on fire and all that good stuff- different from the run of the mill yearly wood cutting!!!hahaha!

Anyway, thanks for the welcome, and again, thanks for all the knowledge that has been shared- I'm sure I will be pulling from uit in the future, and hopefully am able to share some too!! Happ safe cutting!!!

Welcome to As !!!

Almost forgot! The 039 P&C was mentioned, which I came across during the googling and discovery of this site and its knowledge, and that WILL be the plan if this one ever burns down on me!

Looks like he`s got a full load already but here goes,BAM!!

Repped, Repped and Repped...............:cheers:

Back