Thanks Hurricane Sandy - Need suggestion

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Another one to consider could be the Dolmar 6400 (Makita 6421). Its priced right in there with the regular 60cc but with a 20" bar & chain cuts above its class.

If down the road you find the power lacking, though I doubt it, you can always upgrade the P/C with a big bore kit for not a whole lot of $$.

With the budget mentioned, I might consider a Husky 365 XT or Dolmar 6400, saws that I don't normally recommend.

A 562xp is a much nicer saw in general though!

Last edited:
You don't have to buy new.

For $700.00 you can get a couple very decent saws. I've see older, but in very good shape Husky, Jreds and Stihl saws for $250.00 to $300.00. Not small saws either.

Personally, I'd shop around for a smaller used 35 - 40ish cc saw for light work and a larger used 60 - 70cc saw for larger jobs. That way, you have your wood cutting bases covered.

Another option is to buy a smaller saw and rent a big saw when required. That way, you can buy the saw you will use most and have money left over to rent a big saw when you need it.

If you have quite a few trees that are 40" I would get a husky 365xt or jonsered 2166 as they're 71 cc saws and just barely behind the 372/2172 is power and can be converted to them in a half hour or so.

I don't see how a 70 cc is more dangerous as a longer bar has a longer arc for kick back and will do it slower than a 50 cc and a 16" bar.

You don't have to buy new.

For $700.00 you can get a couple very decent saws. I've see older, but in very good shape Husky, Jreds and Stihl saws for $250.00 to $300.00. Not small saws either.

Personally, I'd shop around for a smaller used 35 - 40ish cc saw for light work and a larger used 60 - 70cc saw for larger jobs. That way, you have your wood cutting bases covered.

Another option is to buy a smaller saw and rent a big saw when required. That way, you can buy the saw you will use most and have money left over to rent a big saw when you need it.

I'm going to disagree...

This guy is in an area that has widespread damage, lots of guys are looking for saws...i looked on my local CL (im in NY) and prices are way up and stihl stealers are selling stihl ms 290s for $450...

Waiting for the right used saws to come on is not ideal right now. And ebay isn't much better....

whether or not the makita is a go in my book comes down to a. whether its carb is glued shut and b. whether this guy has a local dealer...sooner or later everyone will have a problem with a new saw out of the box/from the dealer and it's not fun to learn that lesson with $50 of UPS back and forth....

If you have quite a few trees that are 40" I would get a husky 365xt or jonsered 2166 as they're 71 cc saws and just barely behind the 372/2172 is power and can be converted to them in a half hour or so.

I don't see how a 70 cc is more dangerous as a longer bar has a longer arc for kick back and will do it slower than a 50 cc and a 16" bar.

agreed

With the budget mentioned, I might consider a Husky 365 XT or Dolmar 6400, saws that I don't normally recommend.

A 562xp is a much nicer saw in general though!

nicer yes but ill suited. Need to put saw design absolutes and tailor a saw suggestion to this guys purpose.

Can you wait for the saw? With all the damage the law of supply and demand rules and the price gougers are out. Better deals will be found once things quiet down. You might even find a like new saw cheap once someone finishes their cleanup.

I think this is some excellent advice.

You don't want to rush that major a purchase if you can help it and GS is right, you might get a really good deal after the cleanup from someone who bought it just for the cleanup.

Husqvarna 365XT 70.7cc was $560 OTD with 18" so add $10 a inch for longer bars .Well inside your budget with longer bar. Also down the road remove the transfer covers grind out the extra blockage and have you a 372XT on the cheap.

I'm going to disagree...

This guy is in an area that has widespread damage, lots of guys are looking for saws...i looked on my local CL (im in NY) and prices are way up and stihl stealers are selling stihl ms 290s for $450...

Waiting for the right used saws to come on is not ideal right now. And ebay isn't much better....

whether or not the makita is a go in my book comes down to a. whether its carb is glued shut and b. whether this guy has a local dealer...sooner or later everyone will have a problem with a new saw out of the box/from the dealer and it's not fun to learn that lesson with $50 of UPS back and forth....

Regardless, when you close the barn door after the horse have already left, you have to deal with the consequences.

Chances are that if he buys locally, he'll be gouged one way or the other due simply to very high demand for chainsaws.

Getting back to addressing the OP's requirements, I'd buy a saw that will suit most of my needs (40ish ccs) and rent/borrow a larger saw as required. I've got two larger Jreds and a small Echo. Unless the circumstances are exceptional, the Echo will do most everything.

Chances are he won't be cutting real big wood as often as stuff that a smaller saw can handle. Using a heavy 70cc saw to cut limbs and small wood gets real old, real fast.

Keeping in mind the intended homeowner use, as usual, AS members are recommending the saws that we have pre-rationalized in our minds as appropriate for the task at hand. The OP is not a logger and once the fallen trees are gnawed up, I doubt he is going to be cutting big sticks on a regular basis. To be practical, I think the much maligned MS290 series or Husky 455 would be a suitable saw for cleaning up the present mess and dealing with future firewood duties. The 455 can be had new for $400ish and after a while he can keep an eye out for a deal on a larger and smaller saw if he desires. Getting these large trees bucked up in as short of a time as possible is not the issue here. As a newcomer to chainsaws, a common and readily available saw would best serve his needs in my opinion. There will be plenty of opportunity for the "12 saw line-up" later down the way.

If I was you, I would get a Stihl 441 or a Husky 562 or a 372 and put a 36" B/C on it. Just my opinion.

Host a GTG!

I am surprised no one has suggested this. He is in an area with a large population and good road infrastructure. I am sure there are plenty of AS members within a 2 or 3 hour drive that would love to try their equipment in a 40" log. This would give the OP a chance to see (and possibly use) a number of saws before making a decision while getting a portion of his task completed. With AS members doing the heavy lifting on the big stuff the OP would only need a mid range saw. It would also allow the knowledgeable AS folks to dispense their wisdom and safety tips in person.

A winning situation for all involved.

Actually, it is a bit distasteful imo, to thank Sandy - after it killed at least 51 people in North America, and likely more than 120 in total......:censored:

There are too many variables to conclude anything, a key one being chain speed. The rotation rate of the bar during kickback is going to go like chain speed divided by bar length. For the same chain speed, yes, the longer bar will kick back slower. But there are so many different scenarios you just can't say anything for sure.

To me, the danger is a big cc saw coupled with a long bar. There's no question it will get someone in trouble a lot quicker than something smaller, lighter, and less powerful. I know when my kids are old enough to learn on a chainsaw, I sure wouldn't start them on my big 461 with 28" bar. I'd be using the small and light 45cc saw with a 16" bar.

There are too many variables to conclude anything, a key one being chain speed. The rotation rate of the bar during kickback is going to go like chain speed divided by bar length. For the same chain speed, yes, the longer bar will kick back slower. But there are so many different scenarios you just can't say anything for sure.

To me, the danger is a big cc saw coupled with a long bar. There's no question it will get someone in trouble a lot quicker than something smaller, lighter, and less powerful. I know when my kids are old enough to learn on a chainsaw, I sure wouldn't start them on my big 461 with 28" bar. I'd be using the small and light 45cc saw with a 16" bar.

I agree that a long bar is more of an issue then engine size.

Latest posts

Back