Thanks Hurricane Sandy - Need suggestion

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have been blown away with the responses that I have received. I will say that I typically go find forums for when I dive into something new, and by FAR; this has been the most helpful group of people. And I'm surprised too, I thought there would be a lot more brand arguements (like when I bought a Canon vs a Nikon for my wife).

I will be coming back for advice incase I run into some sticky situations after I make my purchase for sure.

Lukky: You have accidently fallen into on of the best places you could be. I had been cutting wood for over 30 years when I joined AS, and found that I knew nothing about saws. I'm still way below the knowledge of some members here, but learning.

Having said that, I think that the offer from Grand dog sp. at Baileys is the way to go. I have a Makita 6401 that I always take to the woods. I have Jreds big and small, Stihl big and small, and several other saws, but the 6401 always goes to the woods. Truth is that every recommendation has been good, and any one of them will make you happy. I don't know what your situation is but I would guess that the prices have gone up and the ability to get service quickly has gone down. If that is the case the Baileys saw looks even better.

Whatever you decide just go slow and easy at first and always look out for the worst that can happen, sooner or later it will, but chance favors the prepared mind. JR

I have been blown away with the responses that I have received. I will say that I typically go find forums for when I dive into something new, and by FAR; this has been the most helpful group of people. And I'm surprised too, I thought there would be a lot more brand arguements (like when I bought a Canon vs a Nikon for my wife).

I will be coming back for advice incase I run into some sticky situations after I make my purchase for sure.
Yes, people are really super helpful on this forum, a great bunch!

I suggest contacting nmurph and look at what he has. Great guy to deal with and my 346xpne NMURPH built is just an animal!
The 6401/6421 is a good option as well if you have dealer support near. Something bigger would be the 7900 which the same as a 6400 with a different piston/cylinder. Great value.
If you are looking at a 455 Rancher I suggest looking at the echo 600P or even the 346xpne. The 600P is a good saw and starts reliably first pull every time. If I had to keep only one of my 5 saws it would be the nmurph 346XPNE or the 600P.

Really you should consider what your regular cutting is going to be. 60cc saws suit most everybody as a good one saw plan. Two saw plans if I remember right are usually 50cc and 70cc. The 50cc is so nice to be light, portable, and easy to use.

I have a 40cc, 50cc, 60cc, 79cc, and 90cc group. I use the 50cc 90% of the time. Granted I don't do a lot of cutting and more just enjoy tinkering with the saws :)

Really you should consider what your regular cutting is going to be. 60cc saws suit most everybody as a good one saw plan. Two saw plans if I remember right are usually 50cc and 70cc.

:agree2: +1

I have a 40cc, 50cc, 60cc, 79cc, and 90cc group. I use the 50cc 90% of the time. Granted I don't do a lot of cutting and more just enjoy tinkering with the saws :)

Sounds a bit like me. :cheers:

So I posted that the 365 sounded good. Then someone suggested the 562 XP, so I start to look into that. I sure like it ;). I called the Husky dealer by me and I can get one with a 20" bar for $650.

I'm going to go to a Stihl dealer with a buddy of mine today who has recommended I look at the 361 that they have for $700.

Have I narrowed it down enough?

So I posted that the 365 sounded good. Then someone suggested the 562 XP, so I start to look into that. I sure like it ;). I called the Husky dealer by me and I can get one with a 20" bar for $650.

I'm going to go to a Stihl dealer with a buddy of mine today who has recommended I look at the 361 that they have for $700.

A good review on the 562XP vs the 365 (modded 365 even). http://www.arboristsite.com/chainsaw/191864.htm. The 562 is also an auto tune which is a plus. It's a great 60cc saw from everything I have read and would be a good one saw plan.

Everything I keep reading is really making me lean towards the 562. I have a Husky dealer very close, 60cc saw that I can toss a little longer bar on if I want and it's a pro grade. We'll see how it goes at the Stihl dealer in a few hours.

Now on to looking into the proper PPE gear. I have good boots, but that's about it.

That's a good price on the 562, I wonder what he could do on a 555? The 555 is the replacement for the 359 and has Autotune. It will live fat and happy with a 20" bar and pull a 24" when needed. It should cost less than the 562 and only have a smidge less power.

I would put some serious serious consideration into the 6400/6421 Dolmar or Makita that is being suggested. Dolmar is probably a brand you've never heard of but they are top of the line like stihl and husky. Dealer support is usually a little more sparce but I have NEVER needed to get my 6401 fixed at the dealer. The anti-vibe on these is fantastic and the 64cc size is perfect and very well balanced to operate a 20in bar. it also has the power to run a 24in bar stock if you like. And at $600 you have enough room to make it a 79-84cc saw for $100-$200! I've been running mine for a couple years now and absolutly love it! I have stihls galore here in my shop and if I only take 1 saw with it would be my 6401 with a big bore kit! These saws have to be strong... Home Depot is using them as rental saws!

Last edited:
That's a good price on the 562, I wonder what he could do on a 555? The 555 is the replacement for the 359 and has Autotune. It will live fat and happy with a 20" bar and pull a 24" when needed. It should cost less than the 562 and only have a smidge less power.

Well, .4 kW is over .5 hp - I wouldn't call that a "smidge" on a 60cc saw....:msp_smile:

2) - Since I'm learning, why is the 562 better than the 365? Is it a weight ratio thing? Is one not a pro-grade?

3) - 359 does appear to be a really nice option as well. Especially for the price. I'd be saving almost $200. I'm willing to spend the extra money if it's well worth it though.

4) - if I went 562, what about the stihl 362 on the other side of the brand? This seems to be the competative saw.

The reason I suggest the 562xp over the 365 is the auto tune. It will keep your saw tuned properly. Any other saw and it will be up to you to keep it tuned. It takes alot of practice to be able to tune a carb right, and the outcome of a badly tuned carb is a blown up saw. :msp_scared: Plus, it will cut right with a 365 or most any other 70cc saw, it will pull a 24" bar good.

The 562xp will outpull a ms362 Stihl, plus the 362 does'nt have the auto tune carb like I mentioned above. Same thing with the Husky 359. The 562xp is just more saw, and 650 is a great deal. The only other suggestion from me would be the 555, which is the homeownder version of the 562xp. If the prices were pretty close, I would still spring for the 562xp. It's truly an awesome saw. And I'm a Stihlhead. :D

This auto tune carb feature is actually one of the biggest reasons I'm going with Husky. I'm hoping it doesn't disappoint me later, but I feel like it's going to save me a lot of head aches. The other big reason is that the Husky dealer has been a lot more friendly and helpful. That may not mean much, but it sure doesn't hurt since he'll be the guy I go to if I need service.

Actually, it is a bit distasteful imo, to thank Sandy - after it killed at least 51 people in North America, and likely more than 120 in total......:censored:

The latest update is 88 (+1 missing) in the US, 2 in Canada, and 160 (+22 missing) in total.....:msp_sad:

This auto tune carb feature is actually one of the biggest reasons I'm going with Husky. I'm hoping it doesn't disappoint me later, but I feel like it's going to save me a lot of head aches. The other big reason is that the Husky dealer has been a lot more friendly and helpful. That may not mean much, but it sure doesn't hurt since he'll be the guy I go to if I need service.

Actually, the dealer being friendly and helpful means a great deal. Many members on this site would tell you to choose between comparable brands based on which has the best dealer support. I think you're making the right choice.

The latest update is 88 (+1 missing) in the US, 2 in Canada, and 160 (+22 missing) in total.....:msp_sad:

I think he was being sarcastic in his statement of thank you, as he implies that he is somewhat inconvenienced by the pressure to buy a saw so expeditiously....I dont think he meant this in a malicious or even oblivious manner

Well, it is .5 hp(i) and .6 hp(m), based on the one decimal rounded off numbers - it has nothing to do with where you are.

I'll base the differences between the US models off the HP numbers on the husky USA website, not the numbers that you are pulling out of a hat. That difference is .4 HP.

To the original poster, my apologies for the derailment. Now go buy yer saw :)

Latest posts

Back